IGNORED

Blind Faith High Resolution Remaster

Anyone tried this remaster yet?

I love the closing track "Do What You Like."

Blind Faith | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

From HDtracks:

℗ [emoji767] 2001 Polydor Ltd. (UK)

THIS ALBUM DOWNLOAD FEATURES HIGH RESOLUTION COVER ART ONLY. LINER NOTES ARE NOT AVAILABLE.

Transfers and Mastering by Seth Foster at Sterling Sound, NYC

All digital files were mastered directly from the original analogue tapes using a custom-made analog transferring console and native hi resolution digital converters.

Tape research and remastering supervision by Bill Levenson

Blind Faith's self-titled album was the only recording released by the short-lived super-group. Though the band had a brief and rough history (lasting for only about six months), Blind Faith was a successful album, peaking at #1 on both the UK Albums Chart and the Billboard Pop Albums chart in 1969 and was certified platinum by the RIAA.

Personnel:

Steve Winwood — vocals, keyboards, guitars

Eric Clapton — guitars; vocals on "Do What You Like"

Ric Grech — bass guitar, violin; vocals on "Do What You Like"

Ginger Baker — drums, percussion; vocals on "Do What You Like"

Production personnel:

Jimmy Miller — producer

George Chkiantz, Keith Harwood, Andy Johns, Alan O'Duffy — engineers

Andy Johns, Jimmy Miller — mixing

Stanley Miller, Bob Seidemann — cover design and photography

Chris Blackwell, Robert Stigwood — executive producers

Margaret Goldfarb — production co-ordination

Bill Levenson — reissue supervision

Suha Gur — remastering

Vartan — reissue art direction

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I got the Japanese SACD a while ago. These are usually well done, and I assume this one was, but my impression of the SQ was that it was ordinary. I'm guessing the original didn't have extraordinary sound, so expect the album you know and like but perhaps not a revelation.

"Can't Find My Way Home" is one of my all time favorites because of Stevie Winwood's fabulous vocal.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I got the Japanese SACD a while ago. These are usually well done, and I assume this one was, but my impression of the SQ was that it was ordinary. I'm guessing the original didn't have extraordinary sound, so expect the album you know and like but perhaps not a revelation.

"Can't Find My Way Home" is one of my all time favorites because of Stevie Winwood's fabulous vocal.

Amazing album.

Fortunate enough to see Traffic in Carnegie Hall as a kid.

Agreed, Jud, it's certainly up there with my all time favorites too. I've always wondered what might have been had this group (as unlikely as it was, given the times) stayed together long enough for a second album after having the additional time to synch up in approach, music and goals.

JC

I have multiple mastering of this classic album--on original UK vinyl and CD. The 2001 Polydor Deluxe edition is pretty good, but I'd be surprised if the cymbals (on "Can't Find My Way Home") on any mastering sound like anything but crashing trash can lids. ;)

So while I am tempted by this reissue (I often like Sterling Sounds' releases), I am puzzled as to why they are not using the original naked girl holding airplane cover. Perhaps a licensing issue, but I hope that does not mean they also could not gain access to the source tapes.

I concur ... "Can't Find My Way Home" ... one of my all time favorites and Go To Tracks!

Has anyone heard the electric version on the 2 CD deluxe edition (2001)?

I have the HDtracks 24bit 96kHz version. It's been far too many years since spinning the LP, so going to agree with Jud on the guessing of it not having "extraordinary sound". But these tracks just fall firmly into the category of Love This Music!

“We don’t like their sound … and guitar music is on the way out!”

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

Fortunate enough to see Traffic in Carnegie Hall as a kid.

Deja Vu ... Fortunate enough to see Led Zeppelin on their first tour as a kid!

(To this day I don't remember who the other bands were playing that night... Zep stole the show!)

– Decca Records, 1962

Taiko Audio Extreme | Vinnie Rossi L2i SE and L2 DAC | Omega Super Alnico Monitors | JL Audio Fathom Sub

This album (more like an EP) has a few good songs on it, particularly "Can't Find My Way Home", which is all Winwood. Of course, I bought the LP as a kid, and the subsequent CD. However, I was always disappointed that they never lived up to their reputation as a "supergroup", and history has proven me correct.

Clapton was doped out and passed his prime by then, Gretch was, and remained, a nobody, Ginger Baker was, well, Ginger Baker. I never really liked his drumming style, compared to many of his much-more talented contemporaries, like B.J. Wilson, Clive Bunker, and Keith Moon.

Winwood was the main talent in the group, and carried the album. Although he never attained the recognition he deserved after this record, his previous work with Traffic was superb. And, no offense to our host, but I always turn it off when it gets to "Do What You Like", which is nothing more than a boring Baker drum solo. If you want to hear an interesting drum solo, listen to "Power Failure", by B.J. Wilson on Procol Harum's "Broken Barricades".

In actuality, Ginger Baker had technical chops far beyond those other contemporaries mentioned. His background was jazz drumming. He had a contempt for the more rudimentary rock drummers of his day. He also was well versed in African poly rhythms, something the likes of a basher like Keith Moon was undoubtedly completely unaware at the time.

But its always amusing to hear the strong musical opinions about musicians spoken by laymen. Musicians hear with totally different ears.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

In actuality, Ginger Baker had technical chops far beyond those other contemporaries mentioned. His background was jazz drumming. He had a contempt for the more rudimentary rock drummers of his day. He also was well versed in African poly rhythms, something the likes of a basher like Keith Moon was undoubtedly completely unaware at the time.

But its always amusing to hear the strong musical opinions about musicians spoken by laymen. Musicians hear with totally different ears.

Never claimed to be a technical expert on drumming. I'm sure there are jazz drummers like the late Buddy Rich, who could play rings around any rock drummer, but I am a music fan, and have been playing guitar for over 50 years..

Check out the attached YouTube link in post #9. Thanks.

Deja Vu ... Fortunate enough to see Led Zeppelin on their first tour as a kid!

(To this day I don't remember who the other bands were playing that night... Zep stole the show!)

Sometimes when I post stuff I think I am a BS artist but I am not. Maybe you can live vicariously through two of my experiences. While I was not a big Led Zeppelin fan at the time (became one after), one of basketball teammates was going out with this super rich girl. Her father owned Longchamps (very exclusive Manhattan restaurant chain at the time), etc (one of the Riese brothers) who also had a minor stake in the ownership in Madison Square Garden.

6 of us had LITERALLY first row center seats for their July 28 and 29, 1973 performances at Madison Square Garden. The only thing more amazing was going to her father's apartment afterwards on 5th Ave next to Central Park. Never saw anything like it before or since; the apt that is. The concert was absolutely amazing as well. And the rest is history.

This album (more like an EP) has a few good songs on it, particularly "Can't Find My Way Home", which is all Winwood. Of course, I bought the LP as a kid, and the subsequent CD. However, I was always disappointed that they never lived up to their reputation as a "supergroup", and history has proven me correct.

Clapton was doped out and passed his prime by then, Gretch was, and remained, a nobody, Ginger Baker was, well, Ginger Baker. I never really liked his drumming style, compared to many of his much-more talented contemporaries, like B.J. Wilson, Clive Bunker, and Keith Moon.

Winwood was the main talent in the group, and carried the album. Although he never attained the recognition he deserved after this record, his previous work with Traffic was superb. And, no offense to our host, but I always turn it off when it gets to "Do What You Like", which is nothing more than a boring Baker drum solo. If you want to hear an interesting drum solo, listen to "Power Failure", by B.J. Wilson on Procol Harum's "Broken Barricades".

Steve Winwood at 18. Great with Blind Faith, amazing with Traffic, but this one is hard to beat. Even though this video is pretty weird. :)

[video=youtube;Iv6Q-v-94Lo]

Thanks for sharing this video! Never seen before. Creative use of escalators and dressing room mirrors. And of course a great song!

– Decca Records, 1962

Hi Chris. What's the DR verdict? I own the MFSL Gold Disc and still enjoy that best but I could easily be swayed to this download if it's good. Thanks!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Sent from my SM-T810 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

+1

I don't particularly like the long drum solos, but Ginger had few peers in the drumming world. What is also not appreciated about him is that he was/is a great arranger and all around musician. Just a greater depth of knowledge than many musicians, especially in the rock world. Don't make the assumption that he was "only" a drummer in Cream, or any of his other bands.

His recent solo albums are also very good - but jazz.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Here's the DR on MFSL Gold Disc. Not good. I love the Ginger Baker Drum solos. He's the real deal. John McLaughlin even said he'd play with Cream's rhythm section any time. Good enough endorsement for me.

foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2016-08-20 16:07:07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Blind Faith / Blind Faith MFSL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR11 -3.78 dB -17.35 dB 8:52 01-Had to Cry Today

DR11 -3.75 dB -19.10 dB 3:16 02-Can't Find My Way Home

DR9 -3.34 dB -15.14 dB 4:27 03-Well...All Right

DR9 -3.27 dB -15.11 dB 4:49 04-Presence of the Lord

DR11 -3.32 dB -18.07 dB 5:22 05-Sea of Joy

DR12 -2.67 dB -18.52 dB 15:21 06-Do What You Like

Number of tracks: 6

Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 1411 kbps

Codec: PCM

===================================

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Here's the DR on MFSL Gold Disc. Not good. I love the Ginger Baker Drum solos. He's the real deal. John McLaughlin even said he'd play with Cream's rhythm section any time. Good enough endorsement for me.

foobar2000 1.3.9 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2016-08-20 16:07:07

Analyzed: Blind Faith / Blind Faith MFSL

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR11 -3.78 dB -17.35 dB 8:52 01-Had to Cry Today

DR11 -3.75 dB -19.10 dB 3:16 02-Can't Find My Way Home

DR9 -3.34 dB -15.14 dB 4:27 03-Well...All Right

DR9 -3.27 dB -15.11 dB 4:49 04-Presence of the Lord

DR11 -3.32 dB -18.07 dB 5:22 05-Sea of Joy

DR12 -2.67 dB -18.52 dB 15:21 06-Do What You Like

Number of tracks: 6

Official DR value: DR10

Samplerate: 44100 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 16

Bitrate: 1411 kbps

Codec: PCM

===================================

DR10 is just fine for rock 'n' roll.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

There is rather good documentary about Ginger Baker's life. It has been in my Netflix queue for quite a while, but you gents are inspiring me to watch it at last.

'Beware of Mr. Baker': A Documentary about the Genius and Terror of Drummer Ginger Baker - Rolling Stone

That movie is a treat. Ginger comes off as a generous, good friend - but a total maniac who you don't want to cross.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

DR10 is just fine for rock 'n' roll.

+1

from what I can tell there's been only a small amount of VC added. CD's from the 80's (pre loudness wars) have DR or 11 or 12. So you probably won't hear much of a difference.

BTW, I have the SACD/DSD - sounds very good (relative to the quality of the original) to me.