IGNORED

For streaming: NAS or directly attached storage

I've searched around a bit and haven't found a thread that's directly on topic, so:

I have a Slim Devices Transporter (two actually), and alternate between LMS and Roon. my server for both is a late model mac mini. music library is a 3TB drive, directly attached to the mini via USB 3.0.

Lately I've had a problem with network noise, and have tried a variety of solutions, including optical links, to eliminate it. the cause does not appear to any one thing, so i'm looking at everything.

Has compared a directly attached USB drive to the same via Thunderbolt? looking at noise and sound quality.

similarly, has anyone experienced a difference between directly attached storage and a NAS, when used in a streaming set up?

again, focused on sound quality/noise.

thanks/

not dropouts. i hear a hashy, spitty sound on most music, no matter the source (online radio, Tidal/Qobuz, local files, even hi res.) it infects even the analog portion of my system.

unplug the network (transporter) from the system, and it goes away. gradually reconnecting components does not reveal a single cause. it has recent;y gotten better, with a switch from Cat7 to Cat6 ethernet cable. but some still remains, hence this question.

Yikes - to me that sounds like RFI or power line interference.

If you don't already have a good power filter on the line, I would try one of the modestly priced Monster AV filter/strips. (About $50.) They do a good job of isolating machines from each other, and filtering out power line hash.

If it is RFI from an external source, then there are other ways to take steps, but it is probably just power supplies acting up.

In general, a NAS is a good way to perfectly isolate players from electrical noise caused by storage devices like disk drives. On the other hand, locally connected storage is much less expensive and easy to upgrade, replace, or add too.

-Paul

not dropouts. i hear a hashy, spitty sound on most music, no matter the source (online radio, Tidal/Qobuz, local files, even hi res.) it infects even the analog portion of my system.

unplug the network (transporter) from the system, and it goes away. gradually reconnecting components does not reveal a single cause. it has recent;y gotten better, with a switch from Cat7 to Cat6 ethernet cable. but some still remains, hence this question.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

There is a good probability you have a leakage current ground loop. Do you by any chance have an active preamp in the system? These make the situation much worse than a passive or no preamp. The leakage current goes through the grounds between boxes (it comes from the power supplies), since it is on the ground, NOT the signal wire, it does not get attenuated by the volume control in an active preamp, hence the full gain of the preamp is amplifying the noise.

If you have an active preamp you can try running the transporter directly into the power amp (of course turn down the volume on the transporter), if it is leakage current the noise you hear should go away or get much softer.

If it does we will need to know what is in your system and how it is hooked up, both power and signal connections.

John S.

Thanks John and Paul. I'm fairly certain the amp (its an integrated) is not to blame, and the power to the main system is managed by a shunyata PS8 with defender and Z1 outlet.

in any event, Transporter-->Icon Audio ST40 MkIII. both plugged into the PS8.

but i am curious if separating the server from the files would make a difference. they'd still be connected of course, via ethernet and a cisco switch.

It does sounds like from the above that some kind of electrical interference is being passed to your amplifier when system is network connected. What DAC solution are you using and how is it cabled to your amplification?

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

It does sounds like from the above that some kind of electrical interference is being passed to your amplifier when system is network connected. What DAC solution are you using and how is it cabled to your amplification?

dac is the transporter. ethernet in, analog rca out.