IGNORED

ATC SCM19 Speakers and Matching Amp

Anyone use ATC SCM19 speakers? I'm looking for an amp that goes well with these speakers. Solid state only. Currently using the DAC's volume control and running directly to amp. No preamp for now, that's later.

Thanks.

I have a pair and have just ordered a Nord One UP Hypex NCore NC500DM Stereo Amplifier (black) with the Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amps. It's on route from London to Sydney so I have not yet heard them together, but I will be very surprised (disappointed) if they don't play well together. The SCM 19 are quite inefficient at 85db and with 400 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms the Nord Hypex should play nicely.... its not expensive so check out this site and read the various forum comments:

Hypex Amps, Abrahamsen Audio, IPL Acoustic Speakers

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers

I have a pair and have just ordered a Nord One UP Hypex NCore NC500DM Stereo Amplifier (black) with the Sonic Imagery 994 Op Amps. It's on route from London to Sydney so I have not yet heard them together, but I will be very surprised (disappointed) if they don't play well together. The SCM 19 are quite inefficient at 85db and with 400 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms the Nord Hypex should play nicely.... its not expensive so check out this site and read the various forum comments:

Hypex Amps, Abrahamsen Audio, IPL Acoustic Speakers

Hi Ajax, these look interesting, did you hear them before ordering? Why did you pick these Op Amps over the others? I like that they mention a "warm...sonic signature".

I've never been a Class D fan but wonder if the technology has improved to the point where they can compete SQ-wise with Class A or A/B amps.

Hi Ajax, these look interesting, did you hear them before ordering? Why did you pick these Op Amps over the others? I like that they mention a "warm...sonic signature".

I've never been a Class D fan but wonder if the technology has improved to the point where they can compete SQ-wise with Class A or A/B amps.

I have not heard them but should have them within a week, however, I will be away all next week so hard for me to listen critically for at last a couple of weeks. Google "nord hypex" and read the various forums such as these:

Hypex NC500

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

The hypex amps have been around for a while and there are references to them here at CA ... search the other threads for more info. Good luck.

I have not heard them but should have them within a week, however, I will be away all next week so hard for me to listen critically for at last a couple of weeks. Google "nord hypex" and read the various forums such as these:

Hypex NC500

Nord One Up Ncore NC500 amps, Class D ready for prime time .....

The hypex amps have been around for a while and there are references to them here at CA ... search the other threads for more info. Good luck.

Bit the bullet on these. Should arrive in a week or two. Monoblocks Up. The price is right. Intriguing that some forum members have given up their AR, Krell, Pass and other high-end amps for these Class Ds. Also went for the 994s but will get the Burson and Sparkos to try as well. My only concern is the potential for dry SQ given the revealing nature of the speakers. If so will sell these and keep looking. Keeping the Pass for now too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Your welcome - I'm confident that they will be brilliant and give great bang for your buck at around $US2k. I wouldn't worry about sound quality as they will be very transparent and neutral if the forum chatter is correct. IME the preamp, DAC and speakers will have more influence. Good luck and post your impressions. Will

Your welcome - I'm confident that they will be brilliant and give great bang for your buck at around $US2k. I wouldn't worry about sound quality as they will be very transparent and neutral if the forum chatter is correct. IME the preamp, DAC and speakers will have more influence. Good luck and post your impressions. Will

Having been an ATC Dealer in the past, I found only amps that deliver substantial current work with them so will be interesting to see if this works.

Have you already bought the ATC SCM19 ... may be worth looking at the active version?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I would consider the ATCs amps before anything else!

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

I'm currently using the latest passive version of ATC SCM40, but if I live in the US, I would sell those and get this instead http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SCM20ASL. What a great price and no need to worry about amp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

One of my dream speakers ...

Along with the scm20at

Mac Mini with JRMC26 or Audirvana  / Raspberry4B_4GB(GentooPlayer_LMS) / Raspberry Rpi3B+: Allo DigiOne(GentooPlayer) - M2Tech Evo DAC Two Plus/iPurifier2 - Schiit Vali 2 - Densen DM20pre/30pwr amps - Spendor SP2/3E, Sennheiser HD600 & HD25Aluminum - Audeze Sine

Cables: Vovox, DIY, Furutech. 

Portable sources: iPad, DELL Laptop with JRiver MC26

Wow, the first thing I saw on the ATC forum was an SCM11 owner (next speaker just under the 19s, with same sensitivity and power reqs.) using the Nords and reporting excellent results.

Thanks for the link!

Hi Kilroy,

The Nord One UP Hypex Stereo Amp with the Sonic Imagery 994 Op amp arrived today. Packaging was very good with plenty of foam protection. The unit itself is very easy on the eye and understated.

I hooked up the ATC SCM 19s and initial impressions are that you are going to be very pleased with the Nord's ability to drive them. I won't bore you with trying to describe the sound except that with a front end consisting of ROON/TIDAL installed on a MAC Air (exclusive mode) into a a 5 year old Benchmark HDR DAC (before the Nord) it was very revealing and neutral. Voices in particular sounded very natural and real and "in the room". Colin from Nord advises that customer feedback suggests sound improves over time, but straight out of the box it was to my ears all you would want from a power amp.

I spent the afternoon listening to the combination. When a friend dropped in we soon found ourselves yelling at each other to be heard. Without a hint of distortion we simply didn't realise how loud the system was playing.

I also connected them to a pair of Tannoy Reveal book shelf speakers, which I bought at a pawn shop for only $US70. The tweeters had been pushed in and my very pragmatic wife suggested that all we had to do was "vacuum" them out. Yeah right. Well it worked and with the Nord driving them they also sounded brilliant. Kind of confirms in my mind the theory of Ivor Tiefenbrun (founder of Linn) the importance of getting the front end right.... as an aside his marketing ploy in his early days was to visit hifi shops with his Linn LP12 turntable and hook it up to the least expensive speakers to demonstrate how good his turntable could make them sound. With a sensitivity of 90db the volume level became uncomfortable with the Tannoys, and with a recommended power handling of only 100watts I backed off for fear of damaging them.

The Nord is a serious piece of kit for $US2k and certainly full fills my expectations. I look forward to doing a comparison with my Devialet 200, which costs about 2-3 times the Nord + Benchmark combination. I'm travelling all next week so that will be some time away.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions but for me the Nord is definitely a keeper.

Have you already bought the ATC SCM19 ... may be worth looking at the active version?

Hi Eloise,

Great to hear from you. As you know I'm a fan of active speakers and that would normally be the path I would take but I already had the passive version of the ATCs. I think the same goes for Kilroy. I'm also renovating my house and building a music room and was looking for something to form the backbone of a 2 channel system, which can then by pass the home theatre surround system.

I came across the Nords while reading about Hypex amps here at CA. They are very much in the DIY camp and not being technically proficient I decided to purchase them pre assembled from Colin North at Nords. He comes across as a very genuine and capable fellow. I also think at US$2k they are not expensive considering the effortless ease they drive the ATCs.

A couple of links if your interested. The review by stereo net is glowing and confirms my, and a lot of other people's, opinion of the hypex amps. Class D has come of age.

Hypex Ncore Listening Impressions - Amplifiers & Pre-Amps - StereoNET

Hypex Electronics BV - UcD

With their light weight, efficiency and power it will not be long before they become the engine room for active speakers. They really are stunning IMO.

All the best,

Ajax

Hi Kilroy,

The Nord One UP Hypex Stereo Amp with the Sonic Imagery 994 Op amp arrived today. Packaging was very good with plenty of foam protection. The unit itself is very easy on the eye and understated.

I hooked up the ATC SCM 19s and initial impressions are that you are going to be very pleased with the Nord's ability to drive them. I won't bore you with trying to describe the sound except that with a front end consisting of ROON/TIDAL installed on a MAC Air (exclusive mode) into a a 5 year old Benchmark HDR DAC (before the Nord) it was very revealing and neutral. Voices in particular sounded very natural and real and "in the room". Colin from Nord advises that customer feedback suggests sound improves over time, but straight out of the box it was to my ears all you would want from a power amp.

I spent the afternoon listening to the combination. When a friend dropped in we soon found ourselves yelling at each other to be heard. Without a hint of distortion we simply didn't realise how loud the system was playing.

I also connected them to a pair of Tannoy Reveal book shelf speakers, which I bought at a pawn shop for only $US70. The tweeters had been pushed in and my very pragmatic wife suggested that all we had to do was "vacuum" them out. Yeah right. Well it worked and with the Nord driving them they also sounded brilliant. Kind of confirms in my mind the theory of Ivor Tiefenbrun (founder of Linn) the importance of getting the front end right.... as an aside his marketing ploy in his early days was to visit hifi shops with his Linn LP12 turntable and hook it up to the least expensive speakers to demonstrate how good his turntable could make them sound. With a sensitivity of 90db the volume level became uncomfortable with the Tannoys, and with a recommended power handling of only 100watts I backed off for fear of damaging them.

The Nord is a serious piece of kit for $US2k and certainly full fills my expectations. I look forward to doing a comparison with my Devialet 200, which costs about 2-3 times the Nord + Benchmark combination. I'm travelling all next week so that will be some time away.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions but for me the Nord is definitely a keeper.

Excellent news. I was somewhat concerned after seeing the posts about current, incompatability etc. Glad you find the SQ to be such a high level. Also looking forward to more feedback about your experience on your return. My amp is due to ship before Nord's holiday shutdown so hoping it arrives maybe as soon as next week. I'll also be posting my listening impressions.

Are you using the cabling that Nord offers? I purchased their Balanced to RCA cable to get started but might look for something more "audiophile" in the future.

Thanks.

Excellent news. I was somewhat concerned after seeing the posts about current, incompatability etc. Glad you find the SQ to be such a high level. Also looking forward to more feedback about your experience on your return. My amp is due to ship before Nord's holiday shutdown so hoping it arrives maybe as soon as next week. I'll also be posting my listening impressions.

Are you using the cabling that Nord offers? I purchased their Balanced to RCA cable to get started but might look for something more "audiophile" in the future.

Thanks.

The Benchmark has XLR balanced out so I'm just using a no frills stock standard XLR to XLR cable. I didn't realise Nord supplied an RCA to XLR cable as I also have a Meridian Explore2 DAC I would like to use. Anyway I have ordered an RCA to XLR cable on eBay and will use that together with a 3.5mm to RCA connector. Not ideal I know. I'm not into exotic cables and I would be surprised if that supplied by Nord did not do the job.

I was not expecting my amp until next week, and it only took 10 days from ordering to arrival in Sydney, very impressive. I get the impression that Colin is well organised and a genuinely good bloke to deal with. Where is 4river as your amp may not be far away?

Here is a snippet from the Stereonet review as a teaser to wet your appetite - the Magnepan electrostatic speakers he refers to have a reputation for being a demanding load. I appreciate we have the NC500 module, however, according to Colin there is not much difference sonically to the NC400.

" The sound, NC400 amplifier.

For stereo purposes I obviously used the 2 channels with the dedicated SMPS600 power supplies. I was lucky to still have the Magnepan 1.7 speakers that were on review. These are very revealing and quite demanding of amplification, so excellent for testing a top quality amp like the Hypex. The NC400's like to be driven in balanced mode, so the source was always my OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray player in variable volume output mode. This is a high quality balanced source and doesn't require a preamp.

First, for comparison, I tried the M1.7 speakers with my own Usher R1.5 amplifier. The Usher is a real muscle amp and has great dynamic range and magnificent bass. I have always liked it very much, and was not disappointed: it made the Magnepan panels sound great. Typically, the bass was strong and very well controlled and the whole presentation effortless, with an enormous sound stage and excellent dynamic expression. Listening to this combination you cannot help thinking that not much more is possible. It simply sounds fantastic.

But then I hooked up the Hypex amps. I was surprised at how much better the sound became - really surprised. The clearest, most immediately noticeable improvement is in the top end. The Hypex simply exposes the Usher as having a bit of an edge. With the NC400 modules doing the driving, the Maggies sounded much cleaner, sweeter, more open and more precise. The last time I had a top end like this was when I still owned a valve amp, but that amp didn't really do bass. The Hypex do sound a little bit dryer than the Usher, but bass is still nothing short of excellent, with better definition and texture than the Usher. In some respects it almost sounds like going from a passive loudspeaker to one with an active crossover. There's simply more clarity, more control, more precision.

In a way, the NC400s sound almost undramatic, as very soon you forget about the amplifier at all. It does its job, and it does it very well, but without drawing any attention to itself. There's no added richness, or increased perceived detail. No extra warmth to the bass, no over-sharpened focus, no showing off or other tricks. Just plain, honest amplification that lets the music pass through as it is.

Make no mistake: it is certainly not the case that you don't realise this is a powerful amp, in full control of the speakers, but it does it so effortlessly that you stop noticing and simply listen straight through it. This, obviously, does not come at the cost of enjoyment: it's just that you'll be enjoying the music, and not the system. At least that's what happened to me. And, no, they certainly do not sound analytic.

Actually the difference between these two amps simply sounds like the removal of the Usher. The Hypex NC400 more or less takes the amp out of the equation, simply adding power to the signal and nothing else. Hypex claim these amps add neither dirt nor fairy dust, and I couldn't agree more. To me this sounds like nothing is added, and nothing is taken away. If you then realise that you can build a stereo pair of Hypex amps for 3/4 of the price of the Usher you start to appreciate how special these modules are. Then have a good look at the packaging: the Usher weights over 40 kilos, while you can pick up a stereo amp based on the Hypex modules with one hand. The Usher consumes 280W when just switched on, and still over 60W when switched off. The Hypex consumes a tiny fraction of this. There simply is no comparison. And do not think, not even for one moment, that this is because the Usher is a bad amp. I went through a dozen power amps before I settled on the Usher, and for no other reason than that it was the best sounding one of the bunch. It has a tremendous reputation, and I have always loved it to bits, but I now find it outclassed by these Hypex NCore amplifiers. It's not that the Hypex amps play circles around it, but they do sound better, are easier to live with and cost significantly less than the Usher. For me that adds up to a pretty conclusive win.

This also is more or less the first time that I've had a power amp in my system where I'm struggling to describe how it sounds, and I'm having even more difficulty finding any sort of flaw or shortcoming. I've reviewed quite a few power amps before, and I've always come away thinking if only I could have the bottom end of this one with the top end of that one and the dynamic expression of yet another one. In the end you choose the compromise that suits you best. I don't have that feeling with the NC400's. It feels more like problem solved. They actually sound like the bottom end of a transistor muscle amp, the top end of a valve amp and the dynamic expression of a class-A amp: effortless, flawless and totally enjoyable.

Then there's compatibility. The NC400 modules are very powerful, can drive any load and are as clean and neutral as an amp can get. They accept single ended as well as balanced inputs, although mine only had the balanced ones, which are preferred by Hypes. But the datasheet explains in great detail how to also get the best out of single ended sources. All of this this means that there will not be many occasions where they won't fit in perfectly. Buy a pair of these amp modules, and the next time you upgrade your speakers you will not have to worry about your amplifier."

I have used N core amps with ATC SCM40 for some time now.

The ATC 's love the low output impedance of the N Cores.

I make all my on cables and have tri wired from my amps to speakers with non directional cable construction.

Amps are driven balanced from a Benchmark DAC2 15 metres away from the amps which are positioned directly behind the ATC's so very short speaker cables.

Best tweak I made was to reduce the gain of the N Cores and remove the attenuator from circuit in the Benchmark. This lowers the benchmark output impedance.

Enjoy your Hypex N Cores and ATC's

Ianmac

Engineered.ch NMR renderer/ JRiver/Benchmark DAC2HGC/Hypex Ncore/ ATC scm40.

Absolutely!!!

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

+100

I'm currently using the latest passive version of ATC SCM40, but if I live in the US, I would sell those and get this instead ATC SCM20ASL Pro mk2 | Sweetwater.com. What a great price and no need to worry about amp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Hi Kilroy,

Amp matching for 19s (very similar to 20s) is almost certainly best done by selling your 19s and getting Active 20s - then you will have 4 poweramps tuned for each drive unit via an active crossover, for miles less than the price of buying 2 stereo or 4 mono amps and the 19s.

It may not have been the advice you were looking for, but it was the best advice anyone could have given you. FTR, I own 4 pairs of active ATCs: 1 x 50 ASL & 3 x 20 ASL Pro.

It is from 25 years experience as an ATC owner that I supported alubis's post, it was brilliant advice and an utter bargain, given what you will end up with.

;-)

Source:

Control:

Playback:

Misc:

Hi Kilroy,

Amp matching for 19s (very similar to 20s) is almost certainly best done by selling your 19s and getting Active 20s - then you will have 4 poweramps tuned for each drive unit via an active crossover, for miles less than the price of buying 2 stereo or 4 mono amps and the 19s.

It may not have been the advice you were looking for, but it was the best advice anyone could have given you. FTR, I own 4 pairs of active ATCs: 1 x 50 ASL & 3 x 20 ASL Pro.

It is from 25 years experience as an ATC owner that I supported alubis's post, it was brilliant advice and an utter bargain, given what you will end up with.

;-)

Well thanks again but not what I was asking about. Whoever said anything about buying two stereo amps or 4 mono amps? Glad you enjoy yours, not what I'm looking for. Now, back on topic please.