IGNORED

Tweeking Audirvana now that I built a new house around my system

Neil

Hi guys, well just built a new house to really hear the music as my old place was too small! My system is as follows, Mac mini 2014, audirvana , emotiva dac, emotiva XP2, blue jeans cable and Mini Statement speakers. The room is 25ft x 42 ft with 18ft ceilings , it's open plan so that includes the dining and kitchen. Listening area is 25 x25, problem is the house is modern with minimal furnishings and lots of glass, wood floor etc and subsequently the room is very live making the speakers sound very harsh...can I tweek Audirvana to compensate in any way? I'm sure the wife doesn't want me sticking a ton of old egg boxes on the walls of the new house ?

That is a big room you have!!

You didn't mention you have a big carpet... that would help for sure...

You can try in A+ integer Mode 2, that is suppose to be smoother a bit from Mode 1.

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Ventura > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

That is a big room you have!!

You didn't mention you have a big carpet... that would help for sure...

You can try in A+ integer Mode 2, that is suppose to be smoother a bit from Mode 1.

thanks, I know it seems like a gymnasium! I may try a rug but its modern and minimalistic..is integer mode 2 on the Audirvana preferences?

thanks, I know it seems like a gymnasium! I may try a rug but its modern and minimalistic..is integer mode 2 on the Audirvana preferences?

yes... audio system tab

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Ventura > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Hi guys, well just built a new house to really hear the music as my old place was too small! My system is as follows, Mac mini 2014, audirvana , emotiva dac, emotiva XP2, blue jeans cable and Mini Statement speakers. The room is 25ft x 42 ft with 18ft ceilings , it's open plan so that includes the dining and kitchen. Listening area is 25 x25, problem is the house is modern with minimal furnishings and lots of glass, wood floor etc and subsequently the room is very live making the speakers sound very harsh...can I tweek Audirvana to compensate in any way? I'm sure the wife doesn't want me sticking a ton of old egg boxes on the walls of the new house 

I'm not sure I'd choose a 25 x 42 x 18 foot room for audio... Do you have a small rec room somewhere? :-) Anyway, try some nice thick rugs. And you might investigate some attractive acoustic taming devices. There are Corning fiberglass panels you can cover with decorator fabrics and attach to the ceiling or walls. They're probably the cheapest and most effective room treatment you can get. Also maybe some retractable window treatments.

Plants and absorptive furnishings can help a lot. Primary reflections (direct path between you and the speakers) are probably the most critical. Do a free trial of Dirac and see how that helps. It might be you can tame it a bit with software while keeping domestic tranquility.

Try Dirac, quite sure it does just what you want. Having my speakers an very odd position due to baby arrival, I just did a Dirac measurement, adjusted the target curve with a boost around 60 Hz and a small dip around 1 kHz and voila the sound is stunning! When I bypass Dirac its really awful and not possible to listen to, not even for background music.