IGNORED

Is this a well designed power supply?

Popped the cover off this PSU to install a new wiring harness. Here's what I saw: A forest of capacitors and a transformer smaller than Donald Trump's...hands.

FYI, its output power rating is 25 w (15 v, 1.7 amps.)

"Typical output noise" is said to be < 400uVpp

Internal capacitance: 85,000 uF

Any thoughts anyone?[ATTACH]28460[/ATTACH]

No this isn't a particularly well designed power supply. 400uV noise is very "meh" as is 85mF. If this costs $600 you can do far better elsewhere.

Interested in tweaks? Why not just build your own really great PSU?

Why would anyone even consider a $200 cable for a 400uV PSU??? Perhaps if you are in the sub nanovolt range...

If you want really high capacitance then add a cap multiplier to 100,000 uF ... if you want tight regulation look at the Salas shunt ... or others. Is the need for a small X-former because you need to take this camping? Use a battery PSU.

Of course I don't really know based on a photo but you asked ...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

No this isn't a particularly well designed power supply. 400uV noise is very "meh" as is 85mF. If this costs $600 you can do far better elsewhere.

Interested in tweaks? Why not just build your own really great PSU?

Why would anyone even consider a $200 cable for a 400uV PSU??? Perhaps if you are in the sub nanovolt range...

If you want really high capacitance then add a cap multiplier to 100,000 uF ... if you want tight regulation look at the Salas shunt ... or others. Is the need for a small X-former because you need to take this camping? Use a battery PSU.

Of course I don't really know based on a photo but you asked ...

No I appreciate the response. I was curious. It looked kind of junky to me but, again, I'm new at all this...

What is a "cap multiplier"? Also "Salas shunt"? And "X-former"? Thanks

No I appreciate the response. I was curious. It looked kind of junky to me but, again, I'm new at all this...

What is a "cap multiplier"? Also "Salas shunt"? And "X-former"? Thanks

Well again hard to make a pronouncement based on a photo but generally there are a number of types of power supplies and certain considerations that affect price, namely: heft of both transformers (X-former) chokes and capacitors.

A capacitance multiplier power supply uses transistors to increase the apparent capacitance level eg 1F.

A shunt power supply has a more constant power drain desire load and can have very low noise.

Different types of power supplies have different advantages eg noise, regulation under load, impedance, efficiency

If you are inclined to build your own you can look through DIYAudio -- otherwise there are well respected commercial suppliers.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know... Can I power a Comet with a 12V, 2.5A power supply?

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Anyone who suggest that this power supply is a rip off at $600.00 is a person who is not at all aware of the economic realities of small scale product manufacturing/distribution.  That is a fair price to be sure.

But, of course one can do quite a bit better with the power supply.  Without knowing the details of the DAC circuitry which this unit powers, it is unwise to advise for possible "better" supplies.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, johndoe21ro said:

Does anyone know... Can I power a Comet with a 12V, 2.5A power supply?

If the stock supply is 15V I would not recommend trying a 12V supply.  But again, without details of what this supply is powering it is impossible to know for sure (I mean the actual devices it powers, local regulators in the DAC, etc).

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio