IGNORED

Yggdrasil install issue

Just got my Yggy and running into some Windows 10 install issues. Downloaded the Schiit drivers and during the install, I'm getting an error noting that there is no Cmedia device connected? I tried various USB cables and powering the Yggy on/off.

Any suggestions?

Could the USB connection be faulty? My Gumby installed just fine tonight..... I tried it just to rule out some variables.

Just got my Yggy and running into some Windows 10 install issues. Downloaded the Schiit drivers and during the install, I'm getting an error noting that there is no Cmedia device connected? I tried various USB cables and powering the Yggy on/off.

Any suggestions?

Could the USB connection be faulty? My Gumby installed just fine tonight..... I tried it just to rule out some variables.

Maybe try uninstalling all other DAC drivers first (if you haven't tried that already).

The install notes on the Schitt page are straightforward, the use of a certified USB 2.0 cable is interesting, it would have been supplied with the DAC, then use this. Sometimes, there's a permissions issue for reasons unbeknownst only to Windows.... instead of double clicking the setup.exe file, right click and run as administrator instead. If the install fails, with the popup, "Windows couldn't install the USB Driver" message half way through, then suspect the next sentence.

If your PC has USB2 and USB3 ports, try only the USB2 port, or use a cheap USB 2 hub from a USB3 port to the Yggdrasil. Some USB3 host controllers don't pickup USB Audio 2 devices very well, Macbookpro in particular using Bootcamp drivers.

Another way to load the drivers, a little more convoluted, is to expand the driver package to its components into a folder. Connect the DAC. Open Device Manager and see if the DAC is listed with an exclamation mark. Open this, and update driver, and point to the expanded folder, the drivers will load from there.

In all cases, all old software and drivers needs to be removed using control Panel Programs and Features before you start again, even others from Schitt. If there are several Yggdrasil drivers like Schiit 1, Schiit 2 etc., you can remove the remnants using a USB device removal tool, this removes the driver and all other failed installs as well, another avenue to clean up the mess.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

The install notes on the Schitt page are straightforward, the use of a certified USB 2.0 cable is interesting, it would have been supplied with the DAC, then use this. Sometimes, there's a permissions issue for reasons unbeknownst only to Windows.... instead of double clicking the setup.exe file, right click and run as administrator instead. If the install fails, with the popup, "Windows couldn't install the USB Driver" message half way through, then suspect the next sentence.

If your PC has USB2 and USB3 ports, try only the USB2 port, or use a cheap USB 2 hub from a USB3 port to the Yggdrasil. Some USB3 host controllers don't pickup USB Audio 2 devices very well, Macbookpro in particular using Bootcamp drivers.

Another way to load the drivers, a little more convoluted, is to expand the driver package to its components into a folder. Connect the DAC. Open Device Manager and see if the DAC is listed with an exclamation mark. Open this, and update driver, and point to the expanded folder, the drivers will load from there.

In all cases, all old software and drivers needs to be removed using control Panel Programs and Features before you start again, even others from Schitt. If there are several Yggdrasil drivers like Schiit 1, Schiit 2 etc., you can remove the remnants using a USB device removal tool, this removes the driver and all other failed installs as well, another avenue to clean up the mess.

I tried nearly every scenario listed above, with no luck. I removed all USB drivers (except keyboard and mouse). I tried 2 different cables and with and without my Uptone USB Regen. Regardless of what I try, the pc does not recognize or even see the Yggy. When plugged in, the pc as well as the USB removal software does not see it at all. Im beginning to wonder if the USb port or something is hot on the Yggy??

Anything else to try before calling Schiit support?

I installed and used their WASAPI driver with no issues.

I have heard/read of others having issues with the ASIO driver.

I am using the WASAPI drivers as well. For kicks, I deleted all drivers, plugged back in my Schiit Gumby and was able to install it perfectly using the Schiit USB 3 drivers (same as Yggy).

I also just tried connecting the Yggy to my iMac to rule out Windows 10 issues, and still nothing. The Yggy does not show up on the Mac either (which does not even require a driver).

Time to contact Schitt for a replacement. The usb input is not seen by 2 computers, nothing else to try other than opening the case and check all boards are seated, only after consultation with Schitt.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Try to connect the DAC with either Coax or optical to see if its working at all. There really could be an issue with the unit itself in the USB section.

I haven't tried that yet, my only useage involves USB so......

If the USB doesn't work, it's no use to me:)

If I remember correctly, all new USB devices that I have connected to my Windows PC will pop up with a dialog box stating that it is "installing new device" and then reporting if it was installed correctly or if it cannot find the driver. (If it fails, it'll appear as "unknown device" in your Device Manager.) If nothing like that is happening, then like One and a half said, sounds like your Yggy USB port is at fault.

It happens sometimes. Even the most reliable companies with topnotch Q/C programs in place can't guarantee a perfect product when shipping is involved. Give Schitt a call, they'll be more than happy to take care of you.

If I remember correctly, all new USB devices that I have connected to my Windows PC will pop up with a dialog box stating that it is "installing new device" and then reporting if it was installed correctly or if it cannot find the driver. (If it fails, it'll appear as "unknown device" in your Device Manager.) If nothing like that is happening, then like One and a half said, sounds like your Yggy USB port is at fault.

It happens sometimes. Even the most reliable companies with topnotch Q/C programs in place can't guarantee a perfect product when shipping is involved. Give Schitt a call, they'll be more than happy to take care of you.

You are correct. My pc did not notice the Yggy plugged in or was it showing in device manager. I have a feeling it's going back:(

thanks everyone for your help!