IGNORED

Thoughts on Stealth DC-1/JBL LSR308 Combo�

Greetings.

I've been wanting to make a move away from vintage gear for my main system (Luxman R-117 receiver, Canton CT-800 8" 3-way speakers + Schiit Modi II Uber dac). The Stealth DC-1 DAC/Preamp looks like a no brainer as do the JBL's. Anyone here have any experience with this or a similar config? Btw, I prefer very neutral sound. Room is appx 10'x12' with 10' ceiling and, since this is my drum practice studio, the walls are covered with carpet.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I have not heard either of these, but I think you are correct that they both seem to be very well reviewed and should pair well. You might consider visiting the Emotiva forums to see if anyone there has used the LSR308s with a DC-1.

The DC-1 has been on my short list for some time, but I'm now waiting to see what the upcoming ELAC actives are like before I make a decision.

I have not heard either of these, but I think you are correct that they both seem to be very well reviewed and should pair well. You might consider visiting the Emotiva forums to see if anyone there has used the LSR308s with a DC-1.

The DC-1 has been on my short list for some time, but I'm now waiting to see what the upcoming ELAC actives are like before I make a decision.

Thanks. I'll check with the Emotiva forum.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

I have heard the Emotiva a few places, and it is a good unit. The balanced outs will work great with the JBLs. I have some LSR305s in a second system. I use an older DAC/pre that has XLR outs. Works beautifully. I used the 305s in a room just about that size and they were plenty. I was monitoring recordings I had made while mixing them. So 308s should be quite comfortable in a room that size. In any case, the Stealth and 308s should be very good together, keeping in mind I haven't heard the 308's though I expect similar quality to the LSR305's.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Greetings.

I've been wanting to make a move away from vintage gear for my main system (Luxman R-117 receiver, Canton CT-800 8" 3-way speakers + Schiit Modi II Uber dac). The Stealth DC-1 DAC/Preamp looks like a no brainer as do the JBL's. Anyone here have any experience with this or a similar config? Btw, I prefer very neutral sound. Room is appx 10'x12' with 10' ceiling and, since this is my drum practice studio, the walls are covered with carpet.

Hi, Gary - sorry for the late response, but I've not checked this forum too often. Since we downsized from our house to our apartment (I'm retiring this year), my most used system is a Stealth into LSR305s - and it's absolutely great! My main system in the house was the Stealth into my PrimaLuna tube power amp driving the latest gen Focal 726 towers, and the Stealth replaced my first gen Emotiva XDA-1 DAC. The Focals are now in my living room being driven (quite well, I might add) by a Wadia 151 because I can't dime the volume any more so the PL's kinda wasted. I haven't quite brought myself to the point of selling it because I love it, but we'll never move back to a house so what I see is almost certainly what I get from now on.

I'm a professional guitar player (jazz, blues, commercial) and I listen to all kinds of music. The Stealth-305 combo is clear, precise, neutral but not cold, and very detailed (sound stage, instrumental separation, etc). The bass from this combo is tight and amazingly strong despite the relatively small drivers in the 305s. This system provides my practice background sound and is both monitor and playback for recording. I can't imagine how you could do better for what you want - the 305s even get amazingly loud, although I can't crank them in an apartment building so I haven't measured output SPLs. They blow my Rogers LS3/5as out of the water with plenty to spare.

The 308s have even more punch and a bit more bottom, so they should be stellar. At the price, you can't beat this stuff with a stick!

David

I needed a pair of speakers for one of my computers, so I went to Guitar Center and tried the JBL's along with a bunch of other speakers they had. The JBL's were good, but I ended up buying the Tannoy's. The highs were more refined. For me, that's very important.

I have heard the Emotiva a few places, and it is a good unit. The balanced outs will work great with the JBLs. I have some LSR305s in a second system. I use an older DAC/pre that has XLR outs. Works beautifully. I used the 305s in a room just about that size and they were plenty. I was monitoring recordings I had made while mixing them. So 308s should be quite comfortable in a room that size. In any case, the Stealth and 308s should be very good together, keeping in mind I haven't heard the 308's though I expect similar quality to the LSR305's.

Hi, Gary - sorry for the late response, but I've not checked this forum too often. Since we downsized from our house to our apartment (I'm retiring this year), my most used system is a Stealth into LSR305s - and it's absolutely great! My main system in the house was the Stealth into my PrimaLuna tube power amp driving the latest gen Focal 726 towers, and the Stealth replaced my first gen Emotiva XDA-1 DAC. The Focals are now in my living room being driven (quite well, I might add) by a Wadia 151 because I can't dime the volume any more so the PL's kinda wasted. I haven't quite brought myself to the point of selling it because I love it, but we'll never move back to a house so what I see is almost certainly what I get from now on.

I'm a professional guitar player (jazz, blues, commercial) and I listen to all kinds of music. The Stealth-305 combo is clear, precise, neutral but not cold, and very detailed (sound stage, instrumental separation, etc). The bass from this combo is tight and amazingly strong despite the relatively small drivers in the 305s. This system provides my practice background sound and is both monitor and playback for recording. I can't imagine how you could do better for what you want - the 305s even get amazingly loud, although I can't crank them in an apartment building so I haven't measured output SPLs. They blow my Rogers LS3/5as out of the water with plenty to spare.

The 308s have even more punch and a bit more bottom, so they should be stellar. At the price, you can't beat this stuff with a stick!

David

Great! After conversing with the good folks at Emotiva Lounge, I'd come away finally resolved to simply get a better dac and send the Luxman to Tom Ishimoto for a complete refurb. Combined total cost would be approximately $1100 and I would retain my beloved 160wpc vintage receiver as well as beloved 3-way Canton's (though with 35 year old capacitors). Now you have me thinking of a DC-1 connected to LSR308's connected via balanced in/outputs. All new, turn key, state-of-the-art, easy to move around, $200.00 less, and the volume knob can easily be situated anywhere in the room.

If you decide to keep your current amp and speakers, I wouldn't be so fast to buy a new DAC. In most cases, vintage gear doesn't have the resolution newer models have. Your current dac may be all you need. I would try to borrow a dac from someone and listen to it side by side and see what kind of differences you hear, if any.

• 2 weeks later...
I needed a pair of speakers for one of my computers, so I went to Guitar Center and tried the JBL's along with a bunch of other speakers they had. The JBL's were good, but I ended up buying the Tannoy's. The highs were more refined. For me, that's very important.

Which Tannoy speakers?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you decide to keep your current amp and speakers, I wouldn't be so fast to buy a new DAC. In most cases, vintage gear doesn't have the resolution newer models have. Your current dac may be all you need. I would try to borrow a dac from someone and listen to it side by side and see what kind of differences you hear, if any.

After the usual obsessive research, I'm going with the original system. I can't be sure until it's setup and burned in, but I believe DC-1/balanced cable/LSR308 will sound better than DC-1/RCA cable/Luxman R-117/speaker cable/Canton CT-800 or even my new B&W 685 S2's.

A big "Thank You!" to everyone who gave input.

Gary

The Reveal Series. They're priced to compete with JBL, KRK, M-Audio, etc... The JBL's were good too, but I'm just very picky when it comes to high frequencies, and I liked the Tannoy better.

Thanks... was just curious.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.