IGNORED

Raid 0 or or store in hard disc

Jud, do you dislike RAID1? I use it on a SSD setup, with two SSDs. I also keep several stored HDDs of my library as well.

I don't think of RAID levels as something to "like" or "dislike." You can read about the various levels and what they do on Wikipedia or wherever. It's just obvious that if the intent is to back up, the entire idea of which is to prevent data loss, one ought to choose a method that minimizes the risk of data loss.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I don't think of RAID levels as something to "like" or "dislike." You can read about the various levels and what they do on Wikipedia or wherever. It's just obvious that if the intent is to back up, the entire idea of which is to prevent data loss, one ought to choose a method that minimizes the risk of data loss.

You never know some may hear a difference:)

Completely agree. When asking which of two bad backup methods should be used, the correct answer is neither.

Jud, I was under the impression from this comment (above) you made in post 23, you thought RAID1 was a bad thing...I was curious why. I can google it and do some research - just thought you have some background based on your prior comment. Thanks.

Not Jud but... RAID1 is fine, but not sure it offers any advantage for people who have good backup strategy. RAIDs only advantage for computer audio users is if you need more than 6TB storage that a single drive offers you.

Thanks....it just part of my backup plan. RAID1 SSD, HDD and at least three other full spare HDDs.

Jud, I was under the impression from this comment (above) you made in post 23, you thought RAID1 was a bad thing...I was curious why. I can google it and do some research - just thought you have some background based on your prior comment. Thanks.

The main purpose of RAID1 is high availability. All the drives in a RAID1 array are exact copies of each other, so the system keeps running unless they all fail simultaneously. This is good for system availability but it makes for a poor backup solution. Any data corruption originating outside the drives (e.g. bad RAM or software bugs), it will affect all the copies equally. With separately managed drives, the chance of at least one copy being good is much better, even if they reside in the same system. Still better resilience is achieved if the drives are in different systems or only attached one at a time. Otherwise an electrical fault could fry them all at once. For hard to replace data, off-site backups are recommended, preferably on multiple continents in case of devastating earthquakes or alien invasions.

Was responding to #20, which asked whether to use for backup (1) Raid0, or (2) a method which, according to the commenter, resulted in errors up to 1/3 of the time(!). Presented with that choice, my response was "neither."

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The main purpose of RAID1 is high availability. All the drives in a RAID1 array are exact copies of each other, so the system keeps running unless they all fail simultaneously. This is good for system availability but it makes for a poor backup solution. Any data corruption originating outside the drives (e.g. bad RAM or software bugs), it will affect all the copies equally. With separately managed drives, the chance of at least one copy being good is much better, even if they reside in the same system. Still better resilience is achieved if the drives are in different systems or only attached one at a time. Otherwise an electrical fault could fry them all at once. For hard to replace data, off-site backups are recommended, preferably on multiple continents in case of devastating earthquakes or alien invasions.

RAID is not backup...

RAID 0 - one drive fails, no data...

RAID 1 - TRIM is not supported somewhere, without TRIM it is not suitable for SSD...

to store backups recommend RAID 6 with rpm hard drive.

Yep.

Raid1 is nice for lazy people like me, as it automagically propagates changes. But it's bad for backup, because it automagically propagates errors.

Raid6 is nice because you can have up to two drive failures before data loss. But you need at least 4 drives to run it.

The economical alternative is JBOD and having some assurance(s) of data integrity before copying from one disk to one or more others (or the cloud).

Ok so why not just use Amazon?

Many of us do, as well as other backup strategies. (For example, if I unintentionally delete an album from my upstairs HDD, I don't have to wait while it downloads from Amazon. I can just bring it over Firewire from the downstairs HDD, or plug in the SD card it's on. But if there'd be a fire and everything at home would be gone, all the music I've ripped or downloaded is on Amazon's servers.)

It may not be technically feasible because of limited upload speeds. And for some it is objectional to store data with a US company as it could bring data under the supervision of the US authorities. But if there are no technical limitations, you could store with a European cloud provider, like Jottacloud.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

It may not be technically feasible because of limited upload speeds. And for some it is objectional to store data with a US company as it could bring data under the supervision of the US authorities. But if there are no technical limitations, you could store with a European cloud provider, like Jottacloud.

I understand, and agree with to an extent, the privacy concerns some have with commercial cloud storage providers. That said, I have no problem storing copies of music I've bought there. If they care that much about my tastes in music, they're probably already monitoring my purchases. Besides, it's no secret that I like a bit of jazz.

Upload speeds can of course be a problem. It took me a month and a half to do the initial upload. Maintaining it in sync once that's done isn't much of an issue.

Because if you are outside of the US, Amazon doesn't offer unlimited storage for $60 a year! In the UK, 1TB costs £320.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Because if you are outside of the US, Amazon doesn't offer unlimited storage for $60 a year! In the UK, 1TB costs £320.

Is that AWS, or the "photo storage" offered to consumers?

Is that AWS, or the "photo storage" offered to consumers?

Thats the consumers plan ... I get unlimited photo storage as a Prime member, but any other data is charged (after free 5GB).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

All you need to do is register an account on amazon.com. If you have an account on a amazon.co.uk you'll need to use a different email address. UK postal address and credit card are not a problem. There's just one thing they don't tell you: they add 20% UK VAT to the amount charged. Maybe it's in some fine print, but I missed it.

Thats the consumers plan ... I get unlimited photo storage as a Prime member, but any other data is charged (after free 5GB).

Humm, wonder if they're going to change to that arrangement (Prime members get it "free," others pay more than $60/year) in the US? It's not like Amazon to miss an opportunity to charge an extra $39/year (Prime annual membership is $99 in the US).