IGNORED

Chord Mojo on Sale - Massdrop

For anyone interested in the Mojo it's currently $569.99 on Massdrop, and if a couple more people commit to buy the price drops to $549.99 -

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/chord-mojo-portable-dac-amp?referer=9QFFBA

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

For anyone interested in the Mojo it's currently $569.99 on Massdrop, and if a couple more people commit to buy the price drops to $549.99 -

Good catch, Jud. Pirce is now $549.00

That's a good deal as they never show up used and are never in sale

FYI, I may be selling mine here on CA near the end of the month.

Thanks Jud - it's an ok bargain but not great. Amazon has it at $599.

Maybe Chord needs to see more Massdrop buyers before giving a true discount (like $499 or lower). Not sure if vendors in general actually read the user comments on Massdrop.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Seems very controversial... Grey Market with no Manufacturer approval and false MSRP to argue huge false discount... Don't like that...

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

False MSRP?

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Masserop is grey market? I thought they worked directly with manufacturer to offer the product??

Yes that's my understanding. I've bought several items there with great discounts. Good example is with Fostex, involving over 2000 units.

Sometimes I think Massdrop maybe working with a dealer (instead of direct to manufacturer) to off-load some stuff. The not-so-bargain prices and small number of items (e.g. 5 items) makes me think this.

Yes that's my understanding. I've bought several items there with great discounts. Good example is with Fostex, involving over 2000 units.

Sometimes I think Massdrop maybe working with a dealer (instead of direct to manufacturer) to off-load some stuff. The not-so-bargain prices and small number of items (e.g. 5 items) makes me think this.

I always wondered deep down I guess, but never put much thought into it. Never bought anything there though. If they offered the Mojo in the below 500 range without being grey market, then I'd jump most probably. I am using the AQ Dragonfly Red and loving it. I'm sure it's not in the Mojo category, but it's small and so 'out of the way'. not sure I can really use the Mojo as a true portable device, lol...I don't have any dealers near me and would want to listen first I think.

I'm not sure how Mojo can be grey market. It doesn't come with a charger (because it's USB charging) so every Mojo in the world comes in the same package, I presume. I can see for other products where you'd get a different power cable/supply, the grey market issue would be there.

I've purchased several things there and been quite happy. But you want to be sure, or be confident of resale, because they don't do returns (other than for defective merchandise, I would imagine).

I'm not sure how Mojo can be grey market. It doesn't come with a charger (because it's USB charging) so every Mojo in the world comes in the same package, I presume. I can see for other products where you'd get a different power cable/supply, the grey market issue would be there.

The power supply has nothing to do with grey market gear. Grey market means it's not sold with the manufacturer's warrantee because it's not sold directly from an authorized retailer.

The power supply has nothing to do with grey market gear. Grey market means it's not sold with the manufacturer's warrantee because it's not sold directly from an authorized retailer.

In fact potential issue is even more important since the Chord MD clearly wrote that these sales were not allowed by Chord, he also stated that he will track the serial numbers to find out the reseller... Not sexy at all to save 40 bucks isn't it ?

Imac 27" I5 8Go - El Capitan - Audirvana 2.6.3 & Audirvana Remote - Airfoil 5.1.0 - Streamer/DAC Marantz M CR510 - HiFi Cable Super MaxiTrans 2 - B&W 602 S2

False MSRP?

You're right Jud, MSRP is now correct. I've read it was initially over 850$ so bargain might have appeared bigger than reality since MSRP has fallen down heavily on the market recently

Imac 27" I5 8Go - El Capitan - Audirvana 2.6.3 & Audirvana Remote - Airfoil 5.1.0 - Streamer/DAC Marantz M CR510 - HiFi Cable Super MaxiTrans 2 - B&W 602 S2

You're right Jud, MSRP is now correct. I've read it was initially over 850$ so bargain might have appeared bigger than reality since MSRP has fallen down heavily on the market recently

Good for Chord. I hate manufacturers or deals who sell out the back door. Just a very dishonest practice to me. Thanks for sharing that piece of info. Shame on Massdrop to me also to be honest.

At least in EU it is not allowed to place such restrictions based on purchase source. It would be considered attempt to limit competition and free market and movement of things within the union.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

In fact potential issue is even more important since the Chord MD clearly wrote that these sales were not allowed by Chord, he also stated that he will track the serial numbers to find out the reseller... Not sexy at all to save 40 bucks isn't it ?

Can you provide a link, please?

At least in EU it is not allowed to place such restrictions based on purchase source. It would be considered attempt to limit competition and free market and movement of things within the union.

Wow, thanks for sharing that tidbit. I didn't know that and many in the USA probably didn't either. How can a company have quality control with that rule? Very interesting.

Wow, thanks for sharing that tidbit. I didn't know that and many in the USA probably didn't either. How can a company have quality control with that rule? Very interesting.

What do you mean by quality control? Of course manufacturer has it's own quality control before it sells out hardware. But then there is a wide variety of retailers for the hardware. Customer then decides which retailer they trust based on reputation etc. Reseller is first tear responsible for warranty and on second tear distributor is responsible, but manufacturer is ultimately responsible, so usually reseller deals with the distributor/manufacturer to arrange warranty services.

There's more info here:

Anti-competitive agreements – European Commission

What is competition policy? – European Commission

There was one court case here in Finland about Marantz products sales channels.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

What do you mean by quality control? Of course manufacturer has it's own quality control before it sells out hardware. But then there is a wide variety of retailers for the hardware. Customer then decides which retailer they trust based on reputation etc. Reseller is first tear responsible for warranty and on second tear distributor is responsible, but manufacturer is ultimately responsible, so usually reseller deals with the distributor/manufacturer to arrange warranty services.

There's more info here:

Anti-competitive agreements – European Commission

What is competition policy? – European Commission

There was one court case here in Finland about Marantz products sales channels.

I understand how it's done, however if a dealer is not authorized to sell a product, how can they be able to get proper factory service through the manufacturer? That's my point about quality control. The laws are so different, so maybe the manufacturer is ultimately responsible. The biggest problem I'd see is if a company like Ayre were to get a piece sent back to them where there wasn't proof that it was a manufacturer defect, then they wouldn't fix it under warrantee. Right now, companies like Ayre will listen to the dealers because they have a great relationship with them and fix said component most probably. They will also fix a product after warrantee in some cases if they feel something broke down and shouldn't have.

If there is no dealer relationship, then most manufacturers would be very very strict in repairs I would think. I'm sure I don't fully understand the laws in Europe as I barely know our own laws, lol.

I understand how it's done, however if a dealer is not authorized to sell a product, how can they be able to get proper factory service through the manufacturer? That's my point about quality control. The laws are so different, so maybe the manufacturer is ultimately responsible. The biggest problem I'd see is if a company like Ayre were to get a piece sent back to them where there wasn't proof that it was a manufacturer defect, then they wouldn't fix it under warrantee. Right now, companies like Ayre will listen to the dealers because they have a great relationship with them and fix said component most probably. They will also fix a product after warrantee in some cases if they feel something broke down and shouldn't have.

If there is no dealer relationship, then most manufacturers would be very very strict in repairs I would think. I'm sure I don't fully understand the laws in Europe as I barely know our own laws, lol.

If one must go through a dealer, then buying audio gear sounds like buying a car and the rules-of-thumb may even apply :-)

(a) Never go to a dealer without doing research.

(b) Narrow down to 1 to 3 gear, including accessories.

© Never buy on the same day as a visit. Ignore deal-only-last-today schemes.

(d) Setup test drives in advance, and do as many as possible in one day (for comparison).

(e) Negotiate price over emails, never in a face2face meeting.

If one must go through a dealer, then buying audio gear sounds like buying a car and the rules-of-thumb may even apply :-)

(a) Never go to a dealer without doing research.

(b) Narrow down to 1 to 3 gear, including accessories.

© Never buy on the same day as a visit. Ignore deal-only-last-today schemes.

(d) Setup test drives in advance, and do as many as possible in one day (for comparison).

(e) Negotiate price over emails, never in a face2face meeting.

WTHeck? Who's your dealer? Cars??? Really??? Guys, there are plenty of honest dealers who care. Honestly, I don't understand why folks would go to a dealer who they don't fully trust. Personally, I'm a very informed buyer. I usually get my gear from Johnny Rutan at Audio Connection in NJ, but sometimes he does't have what I want and I get it elsewhere. He knows what I have and where I get it, so he can help me navigate my system. I fully trust the man and he will take whatever time someone wants to take even if they aren't buying that day. I know what I want or I wouldn't be listening. If I like the component and am down to my last auditions, then I'm ready to go. Email negotiations? Seriously? I like to do that in person or at least on the phone. I"m also a good customer because I'm not a jerk and am realize that a dealer has to make something too. I just appreciate great relationships in audio and not burning bridges. That's just me. Not flaming you, but I just don't understand why folks don't trust their dealer. If not, go find someone you do trust. JMHO

WTHeck? Who's your dealer? Cars??? Really??? Guys, there are plenty of honest dealers who care. Honestly, I don't understand why folks would go to a dealer who they don't fully trust. Personally, I'm a very informed buyer. I usually get my gear from Johnny Rutan at Audio Connection in NJ, but sometimes he does't have what I want and I get it elsewhere. He knows what I have and where I get it, so he can help me navigate my system. I fully trust the man and he will take whatever time someone wants to take even if they aren't buying that day. I know what I want or I wouldn't be listening. If I like the component and am down to my last auditions, then I'm ready to go. Email negotiations? Seriously? I like to do that in person or at least on the phone. I"m also a good customer because I'm not a jerk and am realize that a dealer has to make something too. I just appreciate great relationships in audio and not burning bridges. That's just me. Not flaming you, but I just don't understand why folks don't trust their dealer. If not, go find someone you do trust. JMHO

Aw man, you want me to have a "relationship" with my dealer? Reminds me of the Jerry Seinfeld episode with his barber Enzo :-)

ps. those rules are for buying cars :-)