IGNORED

"Essence of Music" CD treatment

That's sort of what I thought. I've been thrown by the number of people who say it does make a difference with ripping, which is something I don't understand.

Except the fact that it's snake oil for both ripping and playback, you think that ripping don't use error correction?

Except the fact that it's snake oil for both ripping and playback, you think that ripping don't use error correction?

A hard to rip CD where the speed may drop as low as 0.1 times for long periods of time , but eventually ends up with a correct copy , I.M.E, doesn't sound as good as the same CD ripped at a more constant speed with a few minor errors. Correcting a poor quality CD is Processor intensive. I will leave it at that.

Even LG BR writers that Alfe designs need a short break from such hard work too. (evil grin)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Alex,

We already discuss that, error correction is part of the reading process.

Short break is needed for the laser diode not the processor

That's not what I said, and you know it. (wink)

Why does extensive error correction make the laser diode need a short break when it's reading, and not writing, which does make the laser diode run hotter ? After all, the writer is designed to play a full length movie without problems.

I can however understand the motor and servos working much harder when ripping a problem disc.

Error correction with a poor quality CD is also far more processor (and time) intensive than when simply playing the same CD or ripping a CD in good condition.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Why does extensive error correction make the laser diode need a short break when it's reading, and not writing, which does make the laser diode run hotter?

Poor quality CD needs more current and voltage to reading laser itself (for beam intensity modulating), not only servos, motors, lens coils. 99% of blank optical media is with correct quality, so writing currents are more constant and predictable via writing strategy.

That's how i think, Alfe can correct this.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

That's not what I said, and you know it. (wink)

Why does extensive error correction make the laser diode need a short break when it's reading, and not writing, which does make the laser diode run hotter ? After all, the writer is designed to play a full length movie without problems.

I can however understand the motor and servos working much harder when ripping a problem disc.

Error correction with a poor quality CD is also far more processor (and time) intensive than when simply playing the same CD or ripping a CD in good condition.

Alex,

Do I have to explain photons, energy, heat or that wavelength, current threshold, efficiency are related to temperature, or what is a heat sinks, enclosure, pulses,resonant cavity, laser pumping...no it's more easy to give up:)

If you think you are right it's fine for me:)

Alex,

Do I have to explain photons, energy, heat or that wavelength, current threshold, efficiency are related to temperature, or what is a heat sinks, enclosure, pulses,resonant cavity, laser pumping...no it's more easy to give up:)

If you think you are right it's fine for me:)

Alfe

Is the read current of the Laser Diode increased/reduced to suit the readability of the actual medium being read ?

Regards

Alex

Alfe

Is the read current of the Laser Diode increased/reduced to suit the readability of the actual medium being read ?

Regards

Alex

Alex,

A laser diode is not an LED, laser light is not produced until the threshold level which is more than 80% of the maximum current is reached.The current must be carefully regulated because if the current falls below the threshold emission ceases or just little to much and the diode is destroyed.

Alex,

A laser diode is not an LED, laser light is not produced until the threshold level which is more than 80% of the maximum current is reached.The current must be carefully regulated because if the current falls below the threshold emission ceases or just little to much and the diode is destroyed.

Hi Alfe

Yes, I do understand this as we had to routinely measure Laser Diode currents in Telstra PCM systems where they used Peltier cooling.

You have to ask questions like I asked if you want to learn more, just as long as the resulting explanations are suitable for someone who isn't highly experienced in these areas.

Regards

Alex

Hi Alfe

Yes, I do understand this as we had to routinely measure Laser Diode currents in Telstra PCM systems where they used Peltier cooling.

You have to ask questions like I asked if you want to learn more, just as long as the resulting explanations are suitable for someone who isn't highly experienced in these areas.

Regards

Alex

My Friend,

You are always welcome to ask questions.

So, basically, reading laser works with (within threshold) pretty constant current? OK, this clarifies some aspects on that matter.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

I'll try to translate :)

As far as a data base exist everything is snake oil, including the drives.

You should also create one for SACD or may be DSD is so good that we don't need to check if bits are missing.

Someone needs to translate that.

When I first tried to apply green paint to the edges of a CD it made a difference in the sound. When I applied Armor all to the reading surface it changed the sound. I am not saying that the change was for the better. Try it and see for yourself; you can always reverse by cleaning.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

When I first tried to apply green paint to the edges of a CD it made a difference in the sound. When I applied Armor all to the reading surface it changed the sound. I am not saying that the change was for the better. Try it and see for yourself; you can always reverse by cleaning.

We missed the green pen and a personal touch wit Armor all, welcome to the forum.

Been there, done that many years ago. Experience has taught me that although these things can make a sound difference, they are rarely for the better.

BTW, unless you are too heavy handed, you can probably safely bet your left one (or your right one) that the actual exported binary data still remains unchanged !

BTW, unless you are too heavy handed, you can probably safely bet your left one (or your right one) that the actual exported binary data still remains unchanged !

Alex,

You want to discuss the write clock of HDD and SSD?

You are going to end up in bit positioning jitter.

Alex,

You want to discuss the write clock of HDD and SSD?

You are going to end up in bit positioning jitter.

Hi Alfe

Another tutorial may be of interest to some members, probably even members such as Mansr who will understand what you are saying better.

As I mentioned earlier, I was one of 3 recipients who participated in a remote trial of CD "performance enhancers" where all 3 preferred the sound pf the normally washed version, yet all files still had identical checksums on receipt.

Kind Regards

Alex

Been there, done that many years ago. Experience has taught me that although these things can make a sound difference, they are rarely for the better.

I used the green paint/armor all example because I wanted to point out that things do make a difference on the digital side that were either ridiculed or dismissed because it wasn't measurable.

I used the green paint/armor all example because I wanted to point out that things do make a difference on the digital side that were either ridiculed or dismissed because it wasn't measurable.

And it still isn't measurable on the resulting saved digital file, (at least using current techniques) even when a series of DBT results between the files say that the differences are quite audible!

And it still isn't measurable on the resulting saved digital file, (at least using current techniques) even when a series of DBT results between the files say that the differences are quite audible!

Not doubting anyone's experience but how is this possible? Any theories?