IGNORED

"Essence of Music" CD treatment

Has anyone heard of this?

Essence of Music CD Treatment Review - Dagogo | A Unique Audiophile Experience

The idea that any kind of cleaning fluid or solvent could somehow enhance the sq of a CD is just...well, it makes no sense: Either you're ripping a bit perfect copy of the data file on the CD...or you're not, right?

I have come to accept the logic of USB cables and their effect on jitter, etc. But that gets into the challenges of real-time data processing.

This is just...copying a file.

Has anyone had any experience to the contrary?

The idea that any kind of cleaning fluid or solvent could somehow enhance the sq of a CD is just...well, it makes no sense: Either you're ripping a bit perfect copy of the data file on the CD...or you're not, right?

I have come to accept the logic of USB cables and their effect on jitter, etc. But that gets into the challenges of real-time data processing.

CDs can often appear a little dull looking when stored for a period of time, perhaps due to released fumes from the plastic used in the jewel case over

a period of time, and will often benefit from careful washing in warm soapy water and a good rinse off afterwards.

You can burn the same tracks to both a cheap supermarket CD-R and say a MAM Gold CD-R, and the MAM Gold version will normally sound quite noticeably better on a good system, despite both having identical checksums when ripped to HDD/SSD again.

The same applies to other formats such as BluSpec vs. RBCD , both with identical content. It's the readability of the disc that appears to matter, and you will also often find for example that the MAM Gold version may rip at around twice the speed of the Supermarket CD-R when using E.A.C. at the same settings.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

CDs can often appear a little dull looking when stored for a period of time, perhaps due to released fumes from the plastic used in the jewel case over

a period of time, and will often benefit from careful washing in warm soapy water and a good rinse off afterwards.

You can burn the same tracks to both a cheap supermarket CD-R and say a MAM Gold CD-R, and the MAM Gold version will normally sound quite noticeably better on a good system, despite both having identical checksums when ripped to HDD/SSD again.

The same applies to other formats such as BluSpec vs. RBCD , both with identical content. It's the readability of the disc that appears to matter, and you will also often find for example that the MAM Gold version may rip at around twice the speed of the Supermarket CD-R when using E.A.C. at the same settings.

Interesting. Well perhaps for real-time playback it's having an effect on jitter. But when ripping, jitter isn't a factor. So...none of this stuff could possibly have an effect, right?

Interesting. Well perhaps for real-time playback it's having an effect on jitter. But when ripping, jitter isn't a factor. So...none of this stuff could possibly have an effect, right?

WRONG !

However, I am not about to get into yet another pointless discussion with Kumakuma and his closed minded buddies in this forum.

If you are genuinely interested , send me a PM and I will forward a copy (FYI ONLY) of some recent confirmed results involving both types of CD-Rs as mentioned in my previous post.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

WRONG !

However, I am not about to get into yet another pointless discussion with Kumakuma and his closed minded buddies in this forum.

If you are genuinely interested , send me a PM and I will forward a copy (FYI ONLY) of some recent confirmed results involving both types of CD-Rs as mentioned in my previous post.

Alex

Sorry to disappoint but the post I deleted above had nothing to do with you.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Sorry to disappoint but the post I deleted above had nothing to do with you.

You flatter yourself !

My reply was to the OP, and had nothing to do with your reply.

You flatter yourself !

My reply was to the OP, and had nothing to do with your reply.

If that's the case, keep my name out of your posts.

If that's the case, keep my name out of your posts.

You already know how to stop that from happening, and it involves some restraint on your part.

Fat chance when you and your buddies keep ridiculing me at every opportunity !

Actually the only one who mentions you at all these days is your buddy from France.

I can't speak for anyone else but I try to avoid interacting with you whenever I can. Bill appears to be of the same mind.

Actually the only one who mentions you at all these days is your buddy from France.

I can't speak for anyone else but I try to avoid interacting with you whenever I can. Bill appears to be of the same mind.

Anyhow, regarding those CD treatments...

Years ago I used to get good results when using Rain X. It also gave an improvement in the glossiness of the picture when used on the screen of the old C.R.T. analogue TVs .

Just a snake oil, cleaning the surface will not change the structure of pits and lands.

No, but it will remove the fine film that can build up on CDs left in their plastic jewel cases for years, and may make the contents more easily readable.

From a N.Y.C. C.A. poster in 2009. The version ripped after a simple soapy water clean and rinse actually sounded better to all 3 participants.

Mon, 11/09/2009 - 18:08 — silverlight @Claude

Congrats for getting your system together! stick in a piece of stillpoints ERS paper in the mini (inside top cover) while you're at it...

I received the Audio Revive gear late last week and got a chance to treat and rip several discs in a controlled environment this weekend. Bottom line, did not improve the sound and more likely changed it for the worse. followed the manufacturer's guidelines for treatment top then bottom with both demag and neg. ions. soundstage closed in and some loss of HF detail in the rips i tested. confirmed with several others who I sent test rips to to make sure it wasn't just me. i'm told by the distributor there may be better ways to run the process (i.e., treat only one side) but for $1500 more bang for the buck in SSD and computer enhancements (power, etc).

.reply

No, but it will remove the fine film that can build up on CDs left in their plastic jewel cases for years, and may make the contents more easily readable.

Alex,

Cleaning disc before usage is always recommended (dust and fingerprints), a soft tissue will do the job, ABS for jewel case is moulded, VOC (volatile organic carbon) concern extrusion only, I don't see how a thin film can be built.

Alex,

Cleaning disc before usage is always recommended, a soft tissue will do the job, ABS for jewel case is moulded, VOC (volatile organic carbon) concern extrusion only I don't see how a thin film can be built.

Alfe

Plastics degrade over a period of time. I have previously seen reports about this, but they are probably no longer able to be found with Google.

Regards

Alex

P.S.

Well oil beef hooked !

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/290489568_The_Effect_of_Jewel_Cases_on_the_Stability_of_Optical_Disc_Media

Alfe

Plastics degrade over a period of time. I have previously seen reports about this, but they are probably no longer able to be found with Google.

Regards

Alex

Alex,

There is different types of plastics, if you tell me that about polypropylene (DVD boxes) I will say yes, but for ABS it takes longer than the fews years that disc exist.

I don't understand how degraded plastic can effect a bit-perfect rip. Either the bits are there or they're not, no?

Hailey

I have already sent you some confirmed findings In Confidence

If you don't want to accept the report, then that's your choice. However, I won't be going further with this in open forum.

The subject has been done to death numerous times already in this forum .

Alex

I have seen others, but this was the first report I found.

I have had numerous instances with my older CDs where there appears to be a fine greyish mist on them that is readily removed by warm soapy water, then rinsing.

https://www.bl.uk/aboutus/stratpolprog/collectioncare/faqs/cddvd/caring_for_cds_dvds.pdf

See Storage Enclosures

I have seen others, but this was the first report I found.

I have had numerous instances with my older CDs where there appears to be a fine greyish mist on them that is readily removed by warm soapy water, then rinsing.

https://www.bl.uk/aboutus/stratpolprog/collectioncare/faqs/cddvd/caring_for_cds_dvds.pdf

See Storage Enclosures

So you see from this document that hygrometry is an issue and in the first document the test is at 85%.:)

PVC cases are an issue even from environmental side, avoid them or change to ABS jewel case, hygrometry is also an issue for paper sleeve.

Store your disc in a dry place with no UV light and they will last forever.

Just for information from all aging test the limit of hygrometry is 55%, over the trouble start.

Its an old school solution for CD players that don't buffer/reread data during playback. Not valid for ripping

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Its an old school solution for CD players that don't buffer/reread data during playback. Not valid for ripping

That's sort of what I thought. I've been thrown by the number of people who say it does make a difference with ripping, which is something I don't understand.