IGNORED

wd passport ultra

just purchased a 2tb backup hd at recommendation of my authorized apple distributor and apple repair shop

he installed a new wd 2tb sata hd on my late 2012 i7 quad core 16gb ram mac mini

he transferred all my iTunes library of 800 albums 29000 songs and photos etc that had filled to capacity the original mac mini 1tb hd

all of those were backed up to a 1 tb lacie porsche design backup

i hooked the new 2 tb backup to one of the 3.0 usb inputs on a new plugable 7 hub that goes to the mac mini

the passport ultra when i click 'my passport' on my screen opens to a BLANK page -utilities work but passport's web page says i have 'reformat' so it will be compatible to my mac??!! i didn't have to do this with the lacie what gives thought i could just 'plug it in' and it would start to do backups- and why did my'authorized'apple dealer/mac mini geek recommend it??

So this is what I have read about the drive:

Compatibility

• Formatted NTFS for Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 operating systems
  • Requires reformatting for Mac OS X
  • Note: Compatibility may vary depending on user’s hardware configuration and operating system.

So you will need to launch Disk Utility within your Applications -> Utilities folder to reformat the drive to work with your Mac.

You can just use the default steps listed here.

But before you start can you highlight the drive in finder and click Command-I - that will show details on how the drive is currently formatted ( though if NTFS you probably wont be able to do that ).

As to why they recommended, well Lacie drives are specific to Macs, WD drives tend to work with most Operating Systems but depending on the Operating system might require that they be reformatted to work under your OS.

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

• 3 months later...