IGNORED

NAS streaming to Chromecast Audio, controlled with iPhone?

I have to ask what is the benefit of adding all these processes in when I have a nas with dnla (wd mybook thing) an app that points the chrome cast audio were to go and works with out having a pc running etc etc ?
The BubbleUPnP Server helper software can run on some NASs (eg Synology & QNAP) as well as computers and has certain benefits, eg:

Allows you to switch off the iPhone and the playlist will carry on playing on the Chromecast Audio;

Less battery drain on the iPhone since it's the BubbleUPnP Server that's interacting with the CCA, not the controller app;

Many more choices of controller apps to use, ie any standard UPnP/DLNA or OpenHome;

Transcoding of the music file types and resolutions not supported by the CCA;

Excellent support from one of the best developers of streaming technology, Bubbleguuum.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Fair enough, if in doubt... I'm rather spoilt using MinimServer, which certainly does give you full, clear and easy control over its optional transcoder module, MinimStreamer.

+1. Cannot go back to anything after using it.

Thanks all - is it possible to install bubble and minim on my MacBook to try it all out before taking the plunge and buying a NAS? Also, what control apps do you recommend? Any out there that are built for both iOS and OS X? I hear good things about iPeng, but is that just for Squeezebox?

Here you go...

Installing MinimServer and MinimWatch on Mac OS X

BubbleUPnP Server

BubbleUPnP is the best, but its Android only. Personally I'd get a cheap Android tablet just to continue using BubbleUPnP, but then I'm biased against Apple so take it with a pinch of salt.

I have to ask what is the benefit of adding all these processes in when I have a nas with dnla (wd mybook thing) an app that points the chrome cast audio were to go and works with out having a pc running etc etc ?

Fair point, if it works for you then that's fine too. End of the day we want to enjoy our music and movies. But MinimServer is rather special... I have it on multiple devices like the PC, Pi, and Synology NAS. You don't need it, but you might rather enjoy it very much. Ditto for Plex, it makes watching videos so much easy with an app... instead of having to muck around with a ton of settings.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

BubbleUPnP is the best, but its Android only.

No disrespect intended, but that's not correct. There are Bubbleupnp package downloads here for Windows, MacOS X, Linux (x86 and many other distros), Android 4.1+, Synology, QNAP, etc. And there are versions for ARM-based devices as well as more traditional CPUs.

Bubble is truly excellent, and I've had zero problems with it. But it's not a file manager, so it doesn't offer tagging, cataloguing etc. It has nothing to do with album art or any other data function. MinimServer appears to be much more than "just" UPNP/DLNA middleware - I assume from reading about it (since I've never used it) that it's a JRiver substitute, and that it's all you need to stream to any DLNA renderer on your network. So there's no need for Bubble on top of it. But it seems a bit unfair to compare MinimServer to Bubble - the two don't seem to me to be direct substitutes for each other.

Short and sweet - there's probably none. Each program (except Bubble, which is not a file manager) has its own way of managing and presenting tags, album art etc. You may like the way one looks and "feels" more than another, and that's a fine reason to prefer one program to the rest. Personally, I don't hear any clear, consistent, sustainable difference at all among the many such programs I've tried through the same reproduction chain - so for me, there's no sonic reason to prefer one over the rest as long as you're getting the same file format from the renderer that came from the server.

No disrespect intended, but that's not correct. There are Bubbleupnp package downloads here for Windows, MacOS X, Linux (x86 and many other distros), Android 4.1+, Synology, QNAP, etc. And there are versions for ARM-based devices as well as more traditional CPUs.
I believe @master was referring to the BubbleUPnP Android app, the purpose of which (UPnP & OpenHome control point, UPnP renderer for the Android device & UPnP media server for the files local to the Android device) is totally different to the BubbleUPnP Server helper software I believe you are referring to. They are both developed by Bubblesoft aka Bubbleguuum, hence (unfortunately perhaps) the shared name. @master is quite right in saying there is no equivalent BubbleUPnP (control point/renderer/media server) app for iOS nor OSX nor Windows nor Linux, etc.

It's certainly worth giving their full names when mentioning them, to avoid any confusion.

Bubble is truly excellent, and I've had zero problems with it. But it's not a file manager, so it doesn't offer tagging, cataloguing etc. It has nothing to do with album art or any other data function. MinimServer appears to be much more than "just" UPNP/DLNA middleware - I assume from reading about it (since I've never used it) that it's a JRiver substitute, and that it's all you need to stream to any DLNA renderer on your network. So there's no need for Bubble on top of it. But it seems a bit unfair to compare MinimServer to Bubble - the two don't seem to me to be direct substitutes for each other.
The BubbleUPnP Server I believe you are referring to is a collection of correction & enhancement functions to help with the use of UPnP/DLNA, OpenHome & Chromecast devices on the network. It is therfore most certainly not a JRiver substitute.

Ironically, the BubbleUPnP Android app is far closer to what JRiver does in function, but is, as has already been pointed out, only for Android devices.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

That's alright.

But I meant the BubbleUPnP app that serves as a control point and not the BubbleUPnP Server. I have BubbleUPnP Server installed too... but don't use it much. I'm a MinimServer person myself for all things audio and for video I prefer Plex simply because its plug and play easy with its apps on any tablet, smartphone and casting devices like Chromecast and Roku.

I do believe the BubbleUPnP control point app is Android only and in that context I'd simply buy a cheap Android phone/tablet to use as the remote.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

That's alright.

But I meant the BubbleUPnP app that serves as a control point and not the BubbleUPnP Server...I do believe the BubbleUPnP control point app is Android only and in that context I'd simply buy a cheap Android phone/tablet to use as the remote.

I've used an iPhone for years, but I also use JRemote (and Gizmo before that) with JRMC - so I never looked for a Bubble renderer for my phone. mConnect is a good iOS alternative to Bubble that seems to work very well, so it's one alternative to buying an otherwise unneeded Android device.

I kept my Samsung Fascinate when I went from Android to Apple (in a reluctant capitulation to the demands of an Apple-friendly corporate server environment that's barely Android-tolerant). So I have an old Android device that works well as a remote control for my audio system. Unfortunately, I can't update the OS because the phone's no longer on the Verizon network and they block OS updates / upgrades via web connection unless you have active phone service too (everything else works fine).

I don't know about other low end Android devices, but I'd check carefully before buying one to make sure I could keep the OS current without phone service. The inability to move up to a current Android OS is very limiting - there are many apps that simply won't load or run on my now-primitive baby. Fortunately, I can use MPoD, Gizmo, Bubble and a few others that maintain its utility as an audio accessory.

I don't know about other low end Android devices, but I'd check carefully before buying one to make sure I could keep the OS current without phone service. The inability to move up to a current Android OS is very limiting - there are many apps that simply won't load or run on my now-primitive baby. Fortunately, I can use MPoD, Gizmo, Bubble and a few others that maintain its utility as an audio accessory.

Quite true... and Samsung is notorious for doing this... I've a couple of tablets and phones that did not get OS updates and even the likes of WhatsApp stopped working on them. Of course you get jailbroken OSes that you can install and that works... I've simply moved to the Nexus line (they always get updates first and also the updates are for 4-5 years) and Motorola is another company that's prompt with the OS updates.

I do have an iPhone, iPad and an iMac (wife's actually) and I did have a play around with a few control point apps on them... but honestly nothing compared to the BubbleUPnP app for me. Its just not playing content from a DLNA/UPnP server, but also the ability to add services like Tidal and cloud services like Google Drive, Dropbox, OneDrive, etc. and then it works right out of the box with my Nvidia Shield, Chromecast, and Roku... has a lot going for it... and its constantly updated for a one time purchase.

Hi - I downloaded creation5 to my iphone. I love the interface and it works perfectly casting radio and music stored on the phone to the chromecast audio, but I can't work out how to get it to tell the chromecast to play music stored on my Macbook (currently testing this capability using the Mac in lieu of a NAS). Am I missing something?

Definitely, see install instructions for Mac (both require you also have installed the Java Runtime):

BubbleUPnP Server

Installing MinimServer on Mac OS X

iPeng is Squeezebox only, but if you really want to use it with the Chromecast Audio you could go the LMS plus Castbridge plugin method I mentioned earlier (post #3).

For the BubbleUPnP Server method which allows you to use OpenHome controllers, I'd recommend the Linn Kazoo or the Lumin apps.

Currently casting music stored on Macbook to CCA via minim and bubble using Linn Kazoo (I tried Lumin but preferred the Linn I/F) on both iPhone and Macbook. So far, it works flawlessly - no problem with tags or AIFF files. Many thanks. Looking forward to getting a NAS and giving the Mac a rest.

Two more questions (and thanks again for your help and patience) - is there any way to edit tag info using Kazoo, or am I better off using itunes as a library and Kazoo as a player? Also is there any way to get the playlists I've created in itunes to show up in Kazoo?

is there any way to edit tag info using Kazoo, or am I better off using itunes as a library and Kazoo as a player?
No, unfortunately Kazoo is strictly control point software. This means you can only use it to:

- Decide which music tracks you wish to play on the streamer (the CCA in your case) from those music files made available by the (UPnP/DLNA) media server, ie, create the playlist;

- Control the streamer's playback of that playlist and the streamer's track navigation functions, eg play, stop, pause, etc.

The MinimServer UPnP media server also doesn't come with music file tag editing abilities, so you'll need to do this with something else. From what you are saying, whatever file tags you have edited thus far (in iTunes presumably) have been used correctly by MinimServer to create its media library database (as displayed by Kazoo).

Incidentally, Kazoo is the controller, not the player. The player is the streamer, eg, the CCA.

Also is there any way to get the playlists I've created in itunes to show up in Kazoo?
If you intend using MinimServer as your UPnP media server, it can be done. However, it isn't automatic as MinimServer doesn't support iTunes playlists. You'll need to get iTunes to somehow export its playlists to a standard .M3U playlist file, which MinimServer does support. There are utilities that can do this for you, eg, iTunes Export:

iTunes Export M3U Playist Exporter

-- Jo Cox

No, unfortunately Kazoo is strictly control point software. This means you can only use it to:

- Decide which music tracks you wish to play on the streamer (the CCA in your case) from those music files made available by the (UPnP/DLNA) media server, ie, create the playlist;

- Control the streamer's playback of that playlist and the streamer's track navigation functions, eg play, stop, pause, etc.

The MinimServer UPnP media server also doesn't come with music file tag editing abilities, so you'll need to do this with something else. From what you are saying, whatever file tags you have edited thus far (in iTunes presumably) have been used correctly by MinimServer to create its media library database (as displayed by Kazoo).

Incidentally, Kazoo is the controller, not the player. The player is the streamer, eg, the CCA.

If you intend using MinimServer as your UPnP media server, it can be done. However, it isn't automatic as MinimServer doesn't support iTunes playlists. You'll need to get iTunes to somehow export its playlists to a standard .M3U playlist file, which MinimServer does support. There are utilities that can do this for you, eg, iTunes Export:

iTunes Export M3U Playist Exporter

Thanks again for all your help. I have successfully exported the playlists using iTunes export, but Minimserve won't read them (see attached sample from the error log). I have let Simon at Minimserver know about this - he says it won't read a path that begins 'file:///' and will add this to the next update. In the mean time do you know a work around? If not no problem - happy to wait for the update.

Really appreciate all the time you and everyone here have taken answering my (many) questions, thanks again.Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 19.25.12.png

• 1 year later...
On 8/18/2016 at 11:36 AM, master said:

+1. Cannot go back to anything after using it.

Here you go...

Installing MinimServer and MinimWatch on Mac OS X

BubbleUPnP Server

BubbleUPnP is the best, but its Android only. Personally I'd get a cheap Android tablet just to continue using BubbleUPnP, but then I'm biased against Apple so take it with a pinch of salt.

Fair point, if it works for you then that's fine too. End of the day we want to enjoy our music and movies. But MinimServer is rather special... I have it on multiple devices like the PC, Pi, and Synology NAS. You don't need it, but you might rather enjoy it very much. Ditto for Plex, it makes watching videos so much easy with an app... instead of having to muck around with a ton of settings.

Can it be installed on a CS 407? MinimServer?