IGNORED

Finally set up my Chromecast Audio

I'd picked up a CCA at a Best Buy because it was there. Bottom line - it works well as a JRMC zone once Bubble is installed, and it sounds pretty good driving the optical input on my Wadia 151. It may be my imagination, but I think the bass may be a bit less tight and some midrange detail may be a bit less detailed than it is on the same material through the same electronics & speakers (Focal 726 towers) out of JRMC via my Raspberry Pi's USB. I have to listen more and switch between the two in real time, though - this is only my impression after listening for a few hours while doing a few home projects (reattaching a 7' high mirror panel to a bifold door, wall-mounting a small flat TV, replacing glides on a set of dining room chairs......what a fun weekend I had!) I think I'll invest in a linear PS to see if that improves SQ, too.

There are a few setup issues that will impact many of you like they did me, though. Start with the fact that you can't install the Chromecast setup program on a Kindle Fire HD. I've been able to put everything else I wanted on my Kindle by downloading and installing the apk files, and the "Google services" apk is available. Actually, apks ARE available, which is the problem - there are at least a million different ones of all ages for all varieties of Android device, and the first dozen or so I tried would not run. I finally gave up and used my wife's iPad to set it up, which was easy. Despite the hundreds of web posts instructing the unsuspecting how to install the Google apk package needed, I couldn't find any that listed the correct apk for each device / Android OS / etc.

The second problem of which you need to be aware is that you can't get the MAC address for your CCA until you install it. So you can't add it to your MAC filter, assuming you use this as part of your WiFi security package (as I've always done). This means that you have to turn off your MAC filter until it's installed. I never did get the PC installer working, as I kept getting an alert that my WiFi was off even though it was actively streaming music to my system at the time. It almost seemed as though the iPad was connected directly to the CCA by WiFi while being set up. Once I set up the CCA via iPad and got it connected to WiFi (that the PC installer said wasn't on), it worked fine exactly as expected.

Problem #3 is finding a cable with a Toslink connector on one end and a mini-Toslink on the other (to go into the 1/8" hybrid output jack). Best Buy doesn't carry them, and neither does any other retail outlet in Philly that I could find. I foolishly assumed that the Apple store would have one, since they pioneered use of the hybrid optical/analog "headphone" jack - but they do not. I finally ordered one from Amazon.

SQ from the analog output is not bad, although it's not as big, clear and sweet as we get from a "real" DAC. I'd love to compare the internal DAC to a base Dragonfly, as I suspect it's not far behind that quality level. The SQ's good enough for me to pick up a second one today to leave on our enclosed patio, where I've been streaming via JRemote on my iPhone to a Rocketfish BT receiver driving an iLive soundbar left over from the smaller HT setup in the house we sold last year.

PS - I haven't given any thought to using the CCA as a direct streaming device. I'll post any future experiences with Spotify etc on the streaming forum, but that's not why I bought it.

Funny, I just got one there yesterday ($5 off the list price!). Briefly, I've only tried a few things, but have been very pleasantly surprised. (I'm using a glass Lifatec optical/mini toslink cable, which by dumb luck was sitting in a cabinet unused) and set up via iPad mini. I've tried it mostly with Spotify and Tunein, as well as streaming from my macbook air via Soundcast. (Tip of the hat to Rexp). All of this worked much better than Airplay, fwiw.

I've tried it mostly with Spotify and Tunein, as well as streaming from my macbook air via Soundcast. (Tip of the hat to Rexp). All of this worked much better than Airplay, fwiw.

Does Soundcast transcode your Apple-format music files?

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Couldn't get Soundcast to work on my Windows 10 a while back.

Any specific media player to use? I tried casting all Windows audio.... and while it showed it was enabled there was no audio output.

Will give it a try again.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Couldn't get Soundcast to work on my Windows 10 a while back.

Any specific media player to use? I tried casting all Windows audio.... and while it showed it was enabled there was no audio output.

Will give it a try again.

Need to set your output to speakers out in the Sound Control panel on your pc and match that in your media player output.

Funny, I just got one there yesterday ($5 off the list price!). Briefly, I've only tried a few things, but have been very pleasantly surprised. (I'm using a glass Lifatec optical/mini toslink cable, which by dumb luck was sitting in a cabinet unused) and set up via iPad mini. I've tried it mostly with Spotify and Tunein, as well as streaming from my macbook air via Soundcast. (Tip of the hat to Rexp). All of this worked much better than Airplay, fwiw.

I would love to learn more about how to stream from a MBP. Streaming from iPhone was actually great, but from a MBP it did not work for me, even though I used Soundcast. I tried with A+, Roon, Fidelia, even iTunes; all I got was distorted music.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for any help,

Dieter

I can stream from my NAS, with Plex Media Server installed to my Chromecast using the Plex Web app from my Macbook Air. It should work just as well with the Media Server installed on the Macbook.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

I would love to learn more about how to stream from a MBP. Streaming from iPhone was actually great, but from a MBP it did not work for me, even though I used Soundcast. I tried with A+, Roon, Fidelia, even iTunes; all I got was distorted music.

What am I doing wrong?

Many thanks for any help,

Dieter

Haven't tried with mac, as your getting some sound, it maybe you media player settings or the volume on CCA is too high?

I can stream from my NAS, with Plex Media Server installed to my Chromecast using the Plex Web app from my Macbook Air. It should work just as well with the Media Server installed on the Macbook.

Snowmonkey,

many thanks, but I think I will pass on this. I do not want to start using yet another app just to stream to the Chromecast. I guess I stick with AirPlay for my not so critical listening.

Thanks again,

Dieter

Snowmonkey,

many thanks, but I think I will pass on this. I do not want to start using yet another app just to stream to the Chromecast. I guess I stick with AirPlay for my not so critical listening.

Thanks again,

Dieter

I'm pretty sure there's an installer to put BubbleUPNP on a Mac - unless it's no longer active (I don't have a Mac, so I couldn't try for you), THIS seems to be what you want (scroll down to the Mac section). If that's still available, it'll let you stream to a CCA from your MBP. Bubble requires no action at all beyond starting it and creating a DLNA renderer for each device on your network. All devices will appear in the left hand column of the screen - you just select them one at a time and check "create DLNA renderer". Once you've done that, any and all DLNA devices on your LAN and WLAN should show up as renderers in any streaming program with DLNA capability. The Bubble layer is transparent - just ignore it and do your thing.

I'm pretty sure there's an installer to put BubbleUPNP on a Mac - unless it's no longer active (I don't have a Mac, so I couldn't try for you), THIS seems to be what you want (scroll down to the Mac section). If that's still available, it'll let you stream to a CCA from your MBP. Bubble requires no action at all beyond starting it and creating a DLNA renderer for each device on your network. All devices will appear in the left hand column of the screen - you just select them one at a time and check "create DLNA renderer". Once you've done that, any and all DLNA devices on your LAN and WLAN should show up as renderers in any streaming program with DLNA capability. The Bubble layer is transparent - just ignore it and do your thing.
Indeed, though the BubbleUPnP Server helper software method actually gets the Chromecast to stream the music files themselves, sourced from a UPnP/DLNA media server, rather than a sound capture of the computer's audio (as happens with Soundcast on the Mac). So is perhaps a 'purer' streaming method. However it does have the drawback of not having gapless support. Unfortunately, unlike most current music file streamers, Google have not provided the Chromecast the ability to seamlessly stitch together contiguous music files received while casting.

Incidentally, BubbleUPnP Server has the option of creating either a standard UPnP/DLNA renderer or an OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) renderer for the Chromecast. This means that it can be controlled with OpenHome control point apps (eg Linn Kazoo, Lumin, etc), as well as standard UPnP/DLNA control points (such as the one built into JRiver Media Center).

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Indeed, though the BubbleUPnP Server helper software method actually gets the Chromecast to stream the music files themselves, sourced from a UPnP/DLNA media server, rather than a sound capture of the computer's audio (as happens with Soundcast on the Mac). So is perhaps a 'purer' streaming method. However it does have the drawback of not having gapless support.

I've always been amazed at the emphasis people seem to place on gapless playback. Sure, it's cool - but for me, it's just a frill.

For some stuff, it can be a real irritation if it is not implemented correctly. Essentially, if the divisions into discrete "song" tracts are arbitrary (eg pink floyd, some versions of Beethoven's 9th split the 4th movement up, probably a lot of jazz), then gaps are very disruptive to playback.

I've always been amazed at the emphasis people seem to place on gapless playback. Sure, it's cool - but for me, it's just a frill.

It bothers me to no end. I seriously considered returning my Pono player until they included gapless playback with a firmware upgrade.

For some stuff, it can be a real irritation if it is not implemented correctly. Essentially, if the divisions into discrete "song" tracts are arbitrary (eg pink floyd, some versions of Beethoven's 9th split the 4th movement up, probably a lot of jazz), then gaps are very disruptive to playback.

So was flipping & changing records in multi-disc albums, but we lived with it.

Wouldn't you have to have it cranked up 100% to prevent dithering/resampling?

I have the CCA app on an android phone that I use as a remote volume control, haven't noticed any degradation in SQ, but haven't had the CCA long so still try stuff out.

"Problem #3 is finding a cable with a Toslink connector on one end and a mini-Toslink on the other (to go into the 1/8" hybrid output jack). Best Buy doesn't carry them, and neither does any other retail outlet in Philly that I could find. I foolishly assumed that the Apple store would have one, since they pioneered use of the hybrid optical/analog "headphone" jack - but they do not. I finally ordered one from Amazon."

You don't need to get a special cable. You can get a small adapter that fits over the end of a Toslink cable. It has a 1/8 connector on it, but there's a small hole in the middle so the light can pass through it. Shouldn't have any problems finding it at Radio Shack. They look like this.

https://www.google.com/#q=toslink+adapter&tbm=shop&spd=6720703778633089543

There are certainly a few classical music albums where the tracks are meant to run straight into each other, particularly opera and ballet suites. As you say, Dark Side of the Moon sounds ridiculous with gaps and if you're stoned enough to truly appreciate it, the gaps must seem to last like forever.....

Since, by their nature, these are pieces where you don't really want to pick out individual tracks, I just use Foobar 2000 to join all the tracks seamlessly into one. I've had to do it on maybe 15 albums.

- Einstein

I have the CCA app on an android phone that I use as a remote volume control, haven't noticed any degradation in SQ, but haven't had the CCA long so still try stuff out.

I haven't either, but I am a bit of an agnostic about many of these things. But if you want bit-perfect delivery to the DAC, I think you would need it set to full volume. The default setting seems to be about half-way.