IGNORED

Stripped down ULN8 to be released?

I heard that there will be a lesser ULN8 released. I believe without the mic in's. Retail around $3500. The source I heard it from seems legit. Kind of puts the DAC section of the ULN in a price category that is more reachable for some of use two channel playback guys, if what I heard is true.

Dedicated 240V balanced power, Torus RM20-BAL. Mac Mini/Ayre QB-9. LSA Group Signature integrated. Eminent Tech LFT8B speakers. Real Trap and GIK bass traps.

but it sure will feel like Christmas.

Apparently, this is one of many new, fun things I've heard that might be announced at CES (or thereabouts). The way I heard it, there will be a no-input, 2-channel version of the ULN-8. Who knows?

In other news, I heard that the Sonic Studios models will all be seeing a nice price cut in about 2-3 weeks, too. ;-)

>>Who knows?

Not me. I heard it will have all 8 channels.

>>but it sure will feel like Christmas.

Is your Santa going to be giving you one?

Dedicated 240V balanced power, Torus RM20-BAL. Mac Mini/Ayre QB-9. LSA Group Signature integrated. Eminent Tech LFT8B speakers. Real Trap and GIK bass traps.

Click the word "Subscribe" immediately below the first post in the thread. It should be colored according to your web browser's preference for coloring links.

It's certainly not conspicuous. I only recently discovered it myself.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

I was wishing for a two channel version of the ULN-8 complete with mic preamps and ADCs to have the option of recording.

It would, however, make sense for them to use with what they already have and just remove some of the features.

Maybe it's true and they are listening to requests for a less expensive product for the audiophile market.

I never thought about using it for an active crossover. I imagine it would work very well. In that case the UNL-8 would be a bargain in it's current configuration. Would be nice to be able to add two or four channels at a time at a lower cost than the 8 channel unit even though the cost per channel may be higher than the ULN-8.

Look, I'm not an expert on this, but how hard is it to throw together an audiophile product? Surely they could put together a simple, yet straight forward product that does DAC, and nothing else, and rocks the world like everyone seems to think the ULN-8 does. Given that the needs of this community are simple, they could slap together the product with necessary RCA & XLR outs, and couple it with firewire, Toslink, Coaxial, etc., and make a freakin' killin'!

Come on! Barry, get them on board. A product like this could easily sell for $3K+, and they'd save on connections and software...

Just a thought.

Jonathan[br]-------------------[br]Still finding my way, but soaking it all up like a sponge!

Barry is on record as saying the thinks the ULN-8 is already 'audiophile' in the only manner that matters - sound quality.

Perhaps you've not noticed that there already ARE audiophile versions of the ULN-8 - these are being offered by Sonic Studio / Amarra. They don't cost less, they cost more.

Along with audiophile 'status' (for products) comes higher margins. Perhaps these increased margins are even justifiable for having to deal with 'audiophiles'. ;)

In the most commonly cited example, the Weiss Minerva as compared to the DAC2, the price is substantially higher for the audiophile version.

:)

clay

clay

Clay,

Fair enough! But what I'm looking at or should I say hoping for is for MH to consider making a product designed for folk like you and me, and not Barry. Recording engineers like Barry, or whatever it is he does, want the added ADC and DAC capabilities and multiple ins and outs. However, the home audio nut, like me, is just looking for awesome playback. It, therefore, stands to reason (for me) that MH could manufacture a stripped down version of the 8, which is beefed up from the 2, but focuses simply on deliver the best DAC. I'm thinking a product like this without fluff could easily be sold in the 2-3K range, which would just target audio nuts. Just a thought... I'm certainly inclined to look at the 8, and may end up buying one or the model 4. But I really do not have any use for likely 70% of the 8's functionality...

Just my 2 cents!

Jonathan[br]-------------------[br]Still finding my way, but soaking it all up like a sponge!

my wish would be 2 channel with mic pre amps (used for a phono pre amp option) and ADC as well as multiple outs as I have a headphone amp and a 2 channel power amp to feed.

The EQ is killer and with the mic pre amps you can use it for phono pre, reel to reel pre amp or for home recording.

agreed jp,

I"d like an upgraded ULN-2 (or Sonic 302, in your case), as is function-wise, with the new chips and whatnot, such that the sound quality is identical to the ULN-8.

It'd probably cost $4k, not the $2k that people hope, and therein lie's the problem, it might seem like a poor value at that price.

clay

Hi Jonathan,

"Recording engineers like Barry, or whatever it is he does, want the added ADC and DAC capabilities and multiple ins and outs. However, the home audio nut, like me, is just looking for awesome playback."

What I do is engineer, mix and master, though most folks know me for mastering. (See the links in my signature for more.)

I don't know where the idea behind this thread originated or who is starting rumors but that is what I take them to be. (I could be wrong of course but I still suggest not betting heavily on such a prospect.)

MH is a small, dedicated company. To my knowledge, they have no interest in entering the "audiophile" arena (in every sense of the word "arena") and certainly none in having to deal with Windows issues, which would swamp them. They do what they set out to do and in my opinion, do it extraordinarily well.

Who knows? Maybe we'll all be surprised and there will be a stripped down version of the '8. I don't think so but I don't make the calls for MH. Right now and as far as I know, foreseeably, those who want what the ULN-8 does must either get a ULN-8 or one of Sonic's versions of the box.

When I'm not using it for my work, I use the '8 to listen to music via my "audio nut" (to borrow your term) system, from CDs, high res discs and computer files as well as the soundtracks of DVDs when watching movies. I've been using it for about 4 years now - having to keep it quiet as a member of the beta team for the first 3 1/2 years. Since its release, I've been free to share this find with my audiophile friends.

Best regards,

Barry

www.soundkeeperrecordings.com

www.barrydiamentaudio.com

I was told by a MH distributor who spoke with someone from MH that he knows well and was told that a stripped down version of the ULN8 was coming out soon. The person I spoke with seems like a reasonable source given his position and relationship.

It seemed like a good idea to let people know that this might be on the horizon in case someone was thinking of purchasing a ULN8 but didn't need all the functionality. But....

If this is something that could impact someone's buying decision, they really should just phone MH and discuss. Better to get the facts if you can, obviously.