IGNORED

I am suddenly addicted to live Grateful Dead music.

Have and like all the LPs you name, except Terrapin, which was just too slick. Some roughness and spontaneity is a central part of the GD experience for me.

The Robert Hunter extended version of Terrapin on Jack O' Roses is absolutely outstanding. (I have a ripped copy of my vinyl album, it was never released on CD).

Here is a youtube version:

Have and like all the LPs you name, except Terrapin, which was just too slick. Some roughness and spontaneity is a central part of the GD experience for me.
Well... you know, when I first heard Terrapin I had no idea about Grateful Dead (again, it was in U.S.S.R in 70s). At that time I was listening to Genesis, Jethro Tull, Mahavishnu Orch., Manfred Mann, Zappa, etc. Anyhow, Terrapin was a love from first sight, or from first listen, and from that first listen I realized how different they were from all the bunch. My first live albums couple of years later were Dead Set, then Reckoning, and those greatly confirmed their uniqueness in my mind. Many years after I do not listen Genesis and the rest of the bunch (still keep my preferred albums from all of them on a hard drive just for a case) but Grateful Dead is a part of my almost every day diet along with Mozart, Schubert or Beethoven.
There's a big disparity between their studio and live recordings. I don't know how you can appreciate their live albums if you had never seen them perform in person. They are legendary for these experiences. Of course, it probably helped if you were tripping ;>)
I never saw them live – Grateful Dead didn't care touring Soviet Union (that would be a strange trip..) and missed a chance to see them while first visiting US in 1990. Also, I am not fond of doping. May I qualify for a "cleanhead"?
I never saw them live – Grateful Dead didn't care touring Soviet Union (that would be a strange trip..) and missed a chance to see them while first visiting US in 1990. Also, I am not fond of doping. May I qualify for a "cleanhead"?

They toured some places that were unusual for a US band - played at the Pyramids in Egypt. (Ken Kesey wrote a great article about the tour for Rolling Stone. The line I remember is about his cab driver, who in insane Cairo traffic kept hollering "By the eight cylinders of Allah, this great driver is coming through!")

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I was an anti-Dead snob(more like ignoramus) in the late 60's and through the 70's to my loss. I've owned some Dead after but all of a sudden I'm live Dead crazy. Man the recordings for the most part are fabulous. Just loving this. I've picked up eleven multi-disc sets in the past few months.

Did you just move to Colorado ? [emoji4]

American Beauty, in particular, sounds quite different from the "original" version. Garcia's lead guitar lines are much more prominent, the mix of the vocal harmonies are altered, and the some of the song endings were changed. I don't think the remixes are substitutes for the original versions, but they are very interesting alternates.

You have to admit, though, the original (CD) version of "Attics of My Life" was pretty awful compared to the remastered versions.

Yeah I agree. Growing up we had these imbecilic "rules", you either loved the Allman Brothers OR The Dead. It kind of reminded me of only allowing to like Willie Mays OR Mickey Mantle but not both. I was in the Allman Brothers camp but didn't tell my pals I secretly listened to The Dead and saw them 4 times in concert. I told my dad I like Mays the best (to make him happy) but really like Mantle better.

Today, I listen to lots of Dead recordings and rarely listen to the Allman Brothers. Riding and hiking throught Glacier National Park it is the The Dead and Dire Straits/Knopfler I listen to. They were an amazing group and we are really lucky they allowed so many recordings of their concerts. The single best concert I ever went to, and right in the front, was Watkins Glen with The Band, Allman Brothers and The Dead

It's funny you say that; as soon as Jerry died, I noticed a huge increase in the number of people at Allman Brothers shows wearing Grateful Dead t-shirts.

Did you just move to Colorado ? [emoji4]

Just in my mind.

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Even audiophiles who don't like their music have to appreciate the effort and innovation that went into their sound system. Who doesn't love the idea of an enormous tube-powered line array?

Kvart & Bølge | Audiophile Quarter-Wave Full-Range Speakers |

"...powered by 48 McIntosh MC-2300 Amps (48 X 600 = 28,800 Watts of continuous (RMS) power)."

Gotta love those 2300's :-)

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

They toured some places that were unusual for a US band - played at the Pyramids in Egypt. (Ken Kesey wrote a great article about the tour for Rolling Stone. The line I remember is about his cab driver, who in insane Cairo traffic kept hollering "By the eight cylinders of Allah, this great driver is coming through!")
Yes, Rocking the Cradle! I like these recordings from 1978 (with exception of long passages from Hamsa El Din, who is great performer on his own albums). 78 is right between my two favorite years, 77 and 79. This tour was inspired by Phil Lesh, who was attracted to this particular place of power as they call it, if I remember right. Anyway, I didn't hear they performed in any single unusual place beside Egypt.
I don't know how you can appreciate their live albums if you had never seen them perform in person. They are legendary for these experiences. Of course, it probably helped if you were tripping ;>)

Being in India, I heard and loved the Dead for almost 30 years before I had a chance to catch some version of them in concert, and that too only earlier this year. I assure you that the magic translates quite well through the live recordings that we are lucky to have. Of course, tripping helps, but it's not essential either :)