IGNORED

Is High-Res Music a Bad Idea?

Hi Iain,

Absolutelly. Except optimal playback mode of certain DAC. Or case playback DSD on PCM player or DAC and contrary.

For me, as DSP developer, unclear what is:

1. "native DSD environment" meant?

2. manipulations?

Perhaps a better wording would be: BTW, there are tools in the pipeline that will allow for DSD file modification without PCM conversion beforehand.

May be anywhere publications or patents where described how it is possible?

What is PCM here? 352 kHz/24 bit only?

It's down to what the input sample and bit rates are, such as 24/176.4 or 16/44.1

Binary logic may not process 1-bit values as 1-bit values. So what is "native DSD environment"?

Not currently, but in future this will be possible on a 1-bit value with new tools.

Perhaps a better wording would be: BTW, there are tools in the pipeline that will allow for DSD file modification without PCM conversion beforehand.

Sorry for my English. May be I misunderstood your post. "...tools in the pipeline that will allow..." it mean currently existing tools or some future ones?

I ask because I don't know way how to perform DSD processing without PCM conversion (in exact sense):

1. Just DSD come to digital module for processing it transform to PCM anyways. PCM here any multibit sequence of values.

2. We can apply elementary sum (mixing) with DSD (multibit DSD). But it is too low for music production.

And it will work inside studio project only, before converting to end-user DSD file.

As far as I know, any non-linear processing, that is most of studio work, even impossible into studio project (into DSD environment).

3. I wondered, why since 1960's no publication (what I know or other people who I communicate) how to process into native DSD (sigma-delta modulation) environment. But not once I read information about native DSD environment in some pro decissions.

If such stuff exists, would be interestingly to read it.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Sorry for my English. May be I misunderstood your post. "...tools in the pipeline that will allow..." it mean currently existing tools or some future ones?

I ask because I don't know way how to perform DSD processing without PCM conversion (in exact sense):

1. Just DSD come to digital module for processing it transform to PCM anyways. PCM here any multibit sequence of values.

2. We can apply elementary sum (mixing) with DSD (multibit DSD). But it is too low for music production.

And it will work inside studio project only, before converting to end-user DSD file.

As far as I know, any non-linear processing, that is most of studio work, even impossible into studio project (into DSD environment).

3. I wondered, why since 1960's no publication (what I know or other people who I communicate) how to process into native DSD (sigma-delta modulation) environment. But not once I read information about native DSD environment in some pro decissions.

If such stuff exists, would be interestingly to read it.

This is available now:

Product: TASCAM Hi-Res Editor | TASCAM

Don't forget Merging Technologies, as well:

Merging Technologies | Pyramix 10 | 3D - Professional Music, Post & Mastering Software

... more later when I have the time.

This is available now:

Merging Technologies | Pyramix 10 | 3D - Professional Music, Post & Mastering Software

The Tascam DSD editor is a simple slice, butt splice, or butt join application. There's no possibility of mixing multiple channels/tracks into one, level changing, or any of the other myriad post processing functions. Those functions require a valve based digital stream (PCM samples, or the Sony/Sonoma implemented multibit DSD streams) to be calculable in a digital processor.

Merging Technologies at this time uses their coined DXD (352.8KHz 24/32bit PCM) to perform all post processing DSD originated computations/processing. It is however well implemented; automatically leaving unaffected any tracks or channels not involved in the process when converting back to DSD.

This is available now:

But where noted there about processing in "native DSD environment" and described what meant as the "native DSD environment"?

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

But where noted there about processing in "native DSD environment" and described what meant as the "native DSD environment"?

If you're referring to the Tascam app, the slice/splice/combine (join) functions it implements are all performed on the native DSD file without conversions. They're all butt operations, so there's no overlap of tracks in time requiring computations.

If you're referring to the Tascam app, the slice/splice/combine (join) functions it implements are all performed on the native DSD file without conversions. They're all butt operations, so there's no overlap of tracks in time requiring computations.

Clear. There no gain altering, reverberation, EQ, etc. into "native DSD environment", isn't it?

For merging in DSD format need be careful because it can cause overload.

Clear. There no gain altering, reverberation, EQ, etc. into "native DSD environment", isn't it?

For merging in DSD format need be careful because it can cause overload.

There is a "soft fade" in and out election when slicing files with Tascam, but I have no idea if that duration is in a PCM conversion, or a DSD multibit conversion. It's certainly not performed in the 1 bit two level PDM/SDM domaine.

When post processing in Pyramix, and DSD overs are automatically referenced to just under 0dB PCM in the rendering process.

There is a "soft fade" in and out election when slicing files with Tascam, but I have no idea if that duration is in a PCM conversion, or a DSD multibit conversion.

I don't sure that DSD multibit conversion (simple replacing 1/0 to miltibit values) allow perform fade in/out with 0,00000... dB step.

There are output in 1 bit DSD again.

How to convert multibit DSD to 1 bit at output?

Tascam DSD Editor is good for slice/splice/combine (join) functions, as Tailspin says. For converting purposes, this editor is no no, quality is somewhat bad, especially when PCM to DSD is selected. One good thing is that editor supports DXD352/384 formats, but that low quality ruins that benefit.

Pyramix is another story, another class.

Sorry, english is not my native language.

Fools and fanatics are always certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.

The Tascam DSD editor is a simple slice, butt splice, or butt join application. There's no possibility of mixing multiple channels/tracks into one, level changing, or any of the other myriad post processing functions. Those functions require a valve based digital stream (PCM samples, or the Sony/Sonoma implemented multibit DSD streams) to be calculable in a digital processor.

Merging Technologies at this time uses their coined DXD (352.8KHz 24/32bit PCM) to perform all post processing DSD originated computations/processing. It is however well implemented; automatically leaving unaffected any tracks or channels not involved in the process when converting back to DSD.

Tascam DSD Editor is good for slice/splice/combine (join) functions, as Tailspin says. For converting purposes, this editor is no no, quality is somewhat bad, especially when PCM to DSD is selected. One good thing is that editor supports DXD352/384 formats, but that low quality ruins that benefit.

Pyramix is another story, another class.

Indeed.

Editing DSD in Pyramix DAW as described by Tom, doesn't seem to be as painful as it once was. Definitely a step in the right direction.