IGNORED

Jplay / JCAT weighs in with a USB isolation device

In case of my system, Intona have brought a significant improvement - much bigger than changing the PC or USB cable. It was money very well spent.

This is what I'm expecting from the JCAT USB Isolator in my system (Silenzio PC music server, Esoteric K-03X as DAC). I've used Regen and W4S Recovery with some noticed benefit, but my system is very revealing and "quiet" without them. I really want the benefit of galvanic isolation of the USB feed more than any re-clocking or repacking of the data stream.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Mine came today as well and is now "breaking in". After my struggles with the LANRover, this was a breeze. Added a short WW Platinum USB cable between the Isolator and my DAC and BOOM, music!!!

I will write a full review after break-in, but I do believe I'm hearing and extra level of detail that wasn't there before, as is distinction between harmonized vocals that just blended together before the Isolator.

Media PC (Windows 7) -> 1.0M WW Platinum Starlight 7 USB -> JCAT Isolator -> 0.5M WW Platinum Starlight 7 USB -> Esoteric K-03X.

Adam - Looking forward to hearing your impressions of it soon, enjoy the tunes!

I think it will be very close to the Intona (which whitch it shares the very same PCB). Unfortunately, I sold my Intona last week, so do not have both on hand to make a proper comparo.

If you haven't tried the Intona though, do it. In many systems it makes a noticable difference, well worth the price.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Adam,

I saw that you have placed your JCAT USB card on sale.

Is this due to benefits you experience with using the JCAT USB Isolator?

If so, that would be really impressive.

Regards.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Quick initial review after having the JCAT USB Isolator in the system for about 16 hours. I let it run overnight to accelerate the break-in/burn-in process, but according to Marcin it probably will settle in further after many more hours of use.

Look and feel:

My initial reaction was "impressed" regarding the build quality. This little unit (and it is little) is beautifully built in a solid brushed metal case. Packaging was top-notch; would look right at home in a retail store environment.

Installation:

Following a beta trial of the PS Audio LANRover product, I was somewhat expecting to have similar ASIO driver compatibility issues. Imagine my shock when I just unplugged my USB cable from my Esoteric K-03X DAC, added a shorter run from the Isolator to my DAC and BOOM! I was up and running with zero setup issues. We were off and running.

Initial Listening Tests:

My system is already quite revealing without a galvanic isolation device. However, my initial reaction was that an additional level of detail was immediately present. One example of this were some backing harmony vocals on one song on Ray Lamontagne's CD "Till The Sun Turns Black". I honestly did not realize there was a second background vocal on this track until last night. I also tested out an SACD with great dynamics and live sound, Hugh Masekela's "Hope" album. Cymbal decay appears extended, and drums took on a more "real" sound. The impact of those drums was more visceral than I remember previously.

I can go into more detail once I spend more time with the JCAT USB Isolator, but I can say unequivocally that this unit is staying in my system. It is sleek, elegantly presented, and takes little room in my equipment rack. Taking the Intona industrial build and repackaging it for home use and display was a stroke of genius. It's not cheap, but given the amount some of us spend on digital/computer audio, it is a no brainer. If you are on the fence, give it a try in your system...You won't be disappointed!

Associated Equipment:

Computer: Purpose-built Windows 7 based media server "Silenzio". Music stored on Synology 214+ NAS. Gigabit switch for wired LAN to media rack.

USB Cables: Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 (1.0m and 0.5M)

DAC: Esoteric K-03X

Preamp: McIntosh C2500

Amp: Bryston 14bsst2

Speakers: Revel Salon 2

Cabling: Speakers - Audioquest Aspen; Power - Wireworld Silver Electra 7

Software: Roonserver and JRiver MC22 both installed on Silenzio.

Thanks for sharing your impressions Steve. Glad that it was easier than what you went through with the LANRover! What did it end up costing in full delivered to the US? Enjoy the tunes!

Hey Bill!

All in (with conversion from Euros and shipping) it was $429.97.

Adam,

I saw that you have placed your JCAT USB card on sale.

Is this due to benefits you experience with using the JCAT USB Isolator?

If so, that would be really impressive.

Regards.

I put just one of my Jcat USB cards for sale. I actually use both (Intona nad Jcat USB card) in series.

Adam

Is the jcat version confirmed to be identical in every way to the Intona? I have heard great things about the Intona and want to make sure there has not been any modifications done by Jcat that could decrease it's performance. On the other hand, has jcat done anything to improve it?? I want to make sure before I purchase.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Is the jcat version confirmed to be identical in every way to the Intona? I have heard great things about the Intona and want to make sure there has not been any modifications done by Jcat that could decrease it's performance. On the other hand, has jcat done anything to improve it?? I want to make sure before I purchase.

I'm not sure you'll hear anything from Intona/JCAT unless you have a ground loop problem.

I'm not sure you'll hear anything from Intona/JCAT unless you have a ground loop problem.

I am not sure I understand this comment. Are you saying I wont hear any improvement?

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I very much doubt it, given the Redbook thread.

Did you try it ?

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Marcin on Jplay forum has confirmed that it is the industrial version of Intona in aluminum box, and aluminum case provides shielding, so SQ benefit, I have one on order.

Marcin on Jplay forum has confirmed that it is the industrial version of Intona in aluminum box, and aluminum case provides shielding, so SQ benefit, I have one on order.

Thank you! I will ordering one myself.

Now, gotta figure out what USB cable to get between the Intona and my DAC...but thats a topic for another thread....

Other components:

• 2 weeks later...
Lovely kit friendly design they did a good job of re housing it from that 1980s Russian PC look...

Does it give access to the internal light? or now blanked off with the end caps?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Computer Audiophile mobile app

It is blanked off.

Adam