IGNORED

Power Conditioners

Anyone got their equipment plugged into a power conditioner? How does it help (especially improvements in sound)? Please explain in newby terms. Please add any info about the benefits of after-market power cords and your experiences with them. Unbelievers please don't reply. I'm a firm believer that cords sometimes, but not always make a difference (sometimes for better, sometimes for worse). I believe you won't know unless you give it a try multiple times.

Remember that 'power conditioner' is an undefined term. It could mean almost any combination of the following.

a] Noise filter - a low-pass EMI/RFI filter.

b] Surge protector - although it's better to have surge protection at the home's service entrance.

c] UPS - note that many UPS's are not really UPS's!

d] Line voltage adjuster.

e] Balanced power transformer.

f] Isolated power transformer.

g] DC blockers.

h] I forget? But I think that there are more.

I use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Theater-1650MP-PowerCenter-121722/dp/B004H1VS18

Got it on discount when I worked at Best Buy.

I honestly couldn't tell you if it makes any kind of demonstrable difference in SQ but I know for a fact that it functions as a spike protector. I used to live in an old house about a block away from a dam and every day they would run the dam and my whole system would pop off at the same time. I removed the monster from the rack and it stopped. When I moved out of that house it stopped doing it. It was kicking off because the power was changing significantly enough every time the dam was run that the monster just popped off to protect the equipment.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

I'm using what you see in my sig. It also isolates the devices plugged into it from each other. Adds clarity and reduces noise (those are sort of the same thing). I can hear more detail; rids my system of a tiny bit of harshness.

I don't find it robs the system of any dynamics.

It also adds protection and filtering for DC offset (which is an issue for me).

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I found lots of articles and products that specifically said, "power conditioner." So now I'm confused. Do I plug all my gear into a power conditioner using the power cables that came in the box with them OR would buying upgraded after-market AC power cables for my amp, DAC and HP amp improve the sound quality even more when plugged into the power conditioner? Is it "go with the power conditioner" OR "go with the upgraded power cables" OR do they all play well together?

I found lots of articles and products that specifically said, "power conditioner." So now I'm confused. Do I plug all my gear into a power conditioner using the power cables that came in the box with them OR would buying upgraded after-market AC power cables for my amp, DAC and HP amp improve the sound quality even more when plugged into the power conditioner? Is it "go with the power conditioner" OR "go with the upgraded power cables" OR do they all play well together?

There's no one answer. I'd get a conditioner (on audition if you can) and try it. If you like it, then try cables.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Remember that 'power conditioner' is an undefined term. It could mean almost any combination of the following.

a] Noise filter - a low-pass EMI/RFI filter.

b] Surge protector - although it's better to have surge protection at the home's service entrance.

c] UPS - note that many UPS's are not really UPS's!

d] Line voltage adjuster.

e] Balanced power transformer.

f] Isolated power transformer.

g] DC blockers.

h] I forget? But I think that there are more.

h] Regenerators (PSAudio) ;)

h] Regenerators (PSAudio) ;)

That's what I use. Incoming power has a measured distortion of almost 5% and the output is ~0.5%. When compared to the 2 other "conditioners" that I have had - a Transparent Audio and a Chang Lightspeed both pretty well regarded- the PS Audio doesn't limit dynamics in my system. I have one for front end components and one for my 400 WPC amp. My PC and all attachments are into an isolation transformer on a separate circuit to try to isolate ground noise. With everything setup this way there is almost no hiss out of my speakers with the preamp volume cranked (no music!). This is a pretty good way to check for electrical noise issues with your system.

That's what I use. Incoming power has a measured distortion of almost 5% and the output is ~0.5%. When compared to the 2 other "conditioners" that I have had - a Transparent Audio and a Chang Lightspeed both pretty well regarded- the PS Audio doesn't limit dynamics in my system. I have one for front end components and one for my 400 WPC amp. My PC and all attachments are into an isolation transformer on a separate circuit to try to isolate ground noise. With everything setup this way there is almost no hiss out of my speakers with the preamp volume cranked (no music!). This is a pretty good way to check for electrical noise issues with your system.

Same here, I use a single P5 - been using it for four years now. Average distortion numbers are far lower: 2% input, 0.1% output. Luckily, my street power feed is pretty clean. I have a low power draw Class D setup that maxs at less than 5 amps running all components. I had an issue with Ethernet over Power (PLEK 500) supplying my media streamers, etc., creating some noise in a nearby separate circuit. Placed a few PS Audio noise harvesters on each side of the circuit, and that trimmed the noise below where I can hear it.