IGNORED

DIY Music Server

Hi to everybody.

I would like to have some your advice about my music server project, based on the following hardware:

- MBD Supermicro - X11SH-F

- Intel® Xeon® Processor E3-1260L v5 (CPU heatpipe passive cooling)

- 128GB Samsung SM951 M.2 2280 PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s MLC Toggle (MZHPV128HDGM-00000)

- N° 2 modules RAM DDR4 1.2 V as Mother Board request (8 Gb x 2)

- 8Tb Seagate Enterprise NAS HDD ST8000NE0001 256MB 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s

- Power supply based on 12V 70Ah hermetic battery in separately chassis

- OS Windows 10 Pro or Windows Server 2012 R2

Any advice is welcome.

For the hardware, we need to know what you want to do with this server? Do intend to upsample to DSD? What software do you intend to use? etc. By the way, I am using a core i7-3770s in my fanless case upsampling to DSD256 using HQPlayer.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Yes, I'll use it for real time conversion 16/44.1 > DSD256 with HQPlayer [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

Not sure if the Xenon can handle it. I had an i3-3220T dual core that had trouble with DSD128. I say go for a Core processor with low heat output, similar to what I have now, i7-3770s. This will ensure you can do DSD256 without issue.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Hi , I think Battery has some problems. 1 it can't inject current fast enough for transient signal 2 it's very sensitive to any vibrations.

If you are going to that way, you should do some cap farm for it and have a good feet for it.

HDD generate Emi which will cause noises in your system. SSD is better.

Another thing is USB card or galvanic isolator, good SATA and dc power cable.

For the Bios, if you are not interested in upsampling much, down clock cpu and ram timing and also graphic card to 800Mhz is good for you.

Mellower, lower noise, darker background.

Fidelizer Pro is a must.

Audiophile is a must also, after everything are installed (program, driver etc...) turn it to core mode.

JPLAY is a choice for your consideration. ( it sounds more mellow, more full body, soundstage is more 3D than Hq player.

(Hq p sounds nice, fine detail in treble but tonal balance is not right for me and soundstage is too shallow, Ummm that is my personal taste)

All you have to try by yourself... ^ ^

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

12932837_1700967073514123_7525078827891555851_n.jpg

FWIW I've had far better sound with Win10 and Fidelizer Pro than with Server 2012 and AO. But then I stream my music to mRendu vs go direct USB from PC.

Yes. Definitely... but not the core mode.

2012 in core mode + AO + Fidelizer is unbeatable. Sure! Did you try it?

DAC - Mytek Brooklyn, Intona High Speed Isolator.Int.Amp - ATC SIA2 150,SP - ATC SCM19, Sub - Paradigm SW2200

Source - Audio PC, Core i7 4785T 2.2Ghz, 8G PPA RAM, Samsung 850pro , WD Black HDD, JCAT USB card, PPA BLACK SATA Cable, HDPLEX H5 gen2 case, LPSu - Uptone JS-2 for DAC and USB Card - TeraDak ATX350W for PC, OS wins2012R2, Audio Optimizer, Fidelizer Pro, ASIO JPLAY, Foobar2000+Ramdisk, Hq player, SP cable - JPS superconductor2, Analog interconnect - Harmornic Tech Magic link III, USB cable - JCAT twin cable, Power cable - JPS kaptivator for Uptone JS-2 forDAC and USB card, Wireworld electra7 for PC, Wireworld electra7 silver for Amp, Magnet 2000 power line stabilzer and conditioner for DAC,PC

At moment my project must have some compromises, for the HDD I know, it's not a good thing to have it inside the music server, but in this time it's my only option (I'm looking for a solution as a NAS, but not soon). Is there a solution to shielding from the EMI and RFI, in a situation like this?

For the feed from Battery I would like to do some experiment, if, it will be a no good solution, (as I think) in my opinion, the linear power supply it will be the way to take for me.

Soon, I will put your suggestions into practice about the bios setting and I would try JPlay also..... :-)

Have you some advice for the cap?

Hi,

I have no idea. I never used battery so... I think you should try it before buying it. Feed it with some agreesive dynamic music and you will see. ^^

For JPLAY, you should try every dac link and buffer (on its control panel)

Begin with 1hz/2sec (work well with typical pc - when you try to go up to 85 or 170hz, you can low down buffer to 0.5sec and 0.01sec) it may sounds thin with regular pc but for a very low noise Audio pc, it sounds very much better than 1hz/2sec.

More definittion, more space among notes, more detail, more 3D with full body sound. That is the strength of JPLAY which Hq player can't do.