IGNORED

How about an "Expert" designation in the user profiles?

sdolezalek

There are a growing number of threads where posters with few prior CA posts provide strong statements of opinion (often worded as fact) about one point or another, as though they were experts on the subject. They then get into arguments with others here whom I know are true experts on the relevant subject, but other readers might view their disagreement as a legitimate debate.

Might it make sense to add to the "Newbie, Freshman, Junior, Senior, etc. listings an "Expert" designation?

The people I pay attention to (even when I don't agree with them) include (in no particular order): tailspn, AudioPhil, audiventory, Miska, barrows, vortecjr, bmoura, Superdad, PeterSt, Musicophile, elsdude, mansr, Kal Rubinson, Jud, Priaptor, tranz, ted b, John Swenson and, of course, Computer Audiophile. I also read, but give a bit less weight to folks like wgscott, One and a half, firedog, PaulR, Guidorf, orgel, Topspin70, and Wisnon who are all knowledgeable, but often like to have some fun and thus create noise as well as signal. I'm sure I'm forgetting others and apologize for the memory lapse.

Obviously those who post the most and often those who raise controversy keep sites like this alive and fresh, but I'd love to see some designation of those who others here regularly would identify as having high signal to noise ratios -- which means someone actually does need to know their stuff (disqualifying interested learners like me).

Thoughts?

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>SMSL M500 DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

One problem is how do you vet who is an "expert"? (You are correct that I am not, but that extends to some of the people who you list as paying closer attention to as well).

I actually put you on the second list because you enjoy having a little fun with some of your posts, many of which I find quite entertaining, but not necessarily educational. So lower signal to noise ratio. :) I'm aware that I may have put names on the first list that aren't real experts, which is why this can't be just my or even Chris Connaker's view of experts, it only works if represents the consensus of those who spend the most time posting here. As a result, I would value highly your list of "Experts" for example.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>SMSL M500 DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

I would like to see a classification for Industry Member, who don't post many, but have a valuable input, Moffat from Schitt for example.

+2 I think this would also be helpful, both because a lot of them don't post that often and because it highlights that they may have a particular perspective.

I actually put you on the second list because you enjoy having a little fun with some of your posts, many of which I find quite entertaining, but not necessarily educational. So lower signal to noise ratio. :) I'm aware that I may have put names on the first list that aren't real experts, which is why this can't be just my or even Chris Connaker's view of experts, it only works if represents the consensus of those who spend the most time posting here. As a result, I would value highly your list of "Experts" for example.

I think the only fair way to do this is have people self-identify. Many people obviously aren't comfortable with being non-anonymous. (Given what I have been subjected to on occasion, I think I would have chosen a more obscure user-name.)

S/N?

I don't think this is such a good idea. Could turn ego-driven very quickly.

On most other sites I would have agreed with you and never made this suggestion. What has amazed me about this site is the general level of maturity and willingness to tolerate different views, particularly amongst those with expertise. That being said your "ego" concern is a fair one.

My main purpose in making the suggestion was to offer relative newcomers here a way to figure out how to make sense of the disagreement that exists on almost every subject. Read, for example, the post on http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/do-i-need-direct-stream-digital-29367/ If the OP isn't completely confused by the volume of contradictory information contained in the responses, I'd be surprised.

On most other sites I would have agreed with you and never made this suggestion. What has amazed me about this site is the general level of maturity and willingness to tolerate different views, particularly amongst those with expertise. That being said your "ego" concern is a fair one.

My main purpose in making the suggestion was to offer relative newcomers here a way to figure out how to make sense of the disagreement that exists on almost every subject. Read, for example, the post on http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/do-i-need-direct-stream-digital-29367/ If the OP isn't completely confused by the volume of contradictory information contained in the responses, I'd be surprised.

I am sure you are right there.

How about instead of marking people as 'experts' - we take and curate essays from members? Sort of like halfway between a published article and a white paper.

I would suggest that some posts could be nominated, then edited and put into a read/only thread or something like that? Edited for clarity, grammar, and to ensure they have a very high signal to noise ratio.

My suggestion would also be that these edited postings are read/only, or put into a very heavily moderated area, just to avoid the confusion and noise. They would not have to be long posts or scholarly essays, but could be as simple as well edited tips.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

The OP has a point but exaggerated. While "expert" is too much of an exaggeration, much too often you have people posting their experiences to validate and rationalize their purchases and tastes in equipment in dogmatic fashion (not unique to this site) while denigrating the competition. First, I always find it kind of absurd when, like in The Absolute Sound and even here on occasions, there is the "best of the month". You also have people posting in absolute terms rather than relative terms. Of course you have those who will never believe something can sound good IF it doesn't meet the measurements that they depend on.

Also way too often you have people posting about equipment they have never heard. In the end, as much as some may abhor subjectivity, one's "opinion" in this hobby is just that, a subjective opinion, without or without the measured variable validation.

Lastly, when I read an opinion, I like to understand the system a person is using to reference their experience with a product and more importantly how their room is setup. As I have said before, few systems can sound good if poorly setup, including turntables, racks, speaker placement and room treatments where necessary (or over-treating). There are so many variables in a person's listening environment to understand before I can make a legitimate assessment of the opinion of the review or post. Too many people think changing a component is going to "fix" a problem that may be related to all the other things I mention rather than the "weakness" of the product they are replacing.

However, there are clearly "experts" in their respective fields who quote on these sites, such as Jussi, Phil, Ted, etc.

I don't think the issue is a need for expert designation. Perhaps more a need for a 90 day "probationary member" designation as most of the ills I see are new posters making assertions with no supporting facts, not even a playback solution in their profile to understand what level of performance they drew their judgement from, and exhibiting rude, snarky behavior to others. I personally have issue with anyone posting advice/evaluation who won't share what kind of system they drew their results from. The Jitter thread is an example of where I think the "expert" category would fail; some highly technical opinions are being posted by individuals who when you scan their history of posts never give evidence of even having an investment in computer audio hobby.... armchair generals who have no real world practice in the hobby to base advice on.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I think the only fair way to do this is have people self-identify. Many people obviously aren't comfortable with being non-anonymous. (Given what I have been subjected to on occasion, I think I would have chosen a more obscure user-name.)

Oh Brother - can I ever agree with you on that score! -Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I am sure you are right there.

How about instead of marking people as 'experts' - we take and curate essays from members? Sort of like halfway between a published article and a white paper.

I would suggest that some posts could be nominated, then edited and put into a read/only thread or something like that? Edited for clarity, grammar, and to ensure they have a very high signal to noise ratio.

My suggestion would also be that these edited postings are read/only, or put into a very heavily moderated area, just to avoid the confusion and noise. They would not have to be long posts or scholarly essays, but could be as simple as well edited tips.

-Paul

Paul: I think that is a really interesting idea and can immediately think of a half dozen subjects I'd love to see that kind of white paper on. i.e. Miska on filtering, Swenson on power supplies...

I don't think the issue is a need for expert designation. Perhaps more a need for a 90 day "probationary member" designation as most of the ills I see are new posters making assertions with no supporting facts, not even a playback solution in their profile to understand what level of performance they drew their judgement from, and exhibiting rude, snarky behavior to others. I personally have issue with anyone posting advice/evaluation who won't share what kind of system they drew their results from. The Jitter thread is an example of where I think the "expert" category would fail; some highly technical opinions are being posted by individuals who when you scan their history of posts never give evidence of even having an investment in computer audio hobby.... armchair generals who have no real world practice in the hobby to base advice on.

davide: I couldn't agree more! Maybe yours is the better idea as it keeps out the whole "ego" issue of who is or isn't an expert on a particular subject.

I also read, but give a bit less weight to folks like wgscott, One and a half, firedog, PaulR, Guidorf, orgel, Topspin70, and Wisnon who are all knowledgeable, but often like to have some fun and thus create noise as well as signal.

That's okay, I can take it. To an even greater degree than Prof Scott, I, too, am not an expert. I believe I self-identify accurately, though.

I like @One and a half's idea for an "industry" designation. I think that achieves multiple purposes and involves fewer subjective criteria (not to mention bruised feelings and the like).

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

I completely agree that this is a problem for newcomers. It's unfortunate (especially in terms of CA's usefulness and reputation) when knowledgable folks respond to novices' questions by wandering way too far into the weeds, often taking the opportunity to grind their own particular axes. I have no idea how it could be implemented, but it would be nice to have a "safe" area where beginners could go to get simple answers to simple questions.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

That's okay, I can take it. To an even greater degree than Prof Scott, I, too, am not an expert. I believe I self-identify accurately, though.

I like @One and a half's idea for an "industry" designation. I think that achieves multiple purposes and involves fewer subjective criteria (not to mention bruised feelings and the like).

--David

You know, if you hadn't added that "supercilious twit" designation to your id, you might have made the "other" list... ;) All in good fun!

I like this idea. I'll live to regret this, I'm sure, but if this happens, I volunteer to do some of the editing. I'm not an audio expert, but I do have quite a few years of professional experience as a copyeditor.

--David

While I can appreciate wanting some sort of designation for industry experts, I'll remind y'all we have had many experts posting here over the years who were quite well known and it didn't always go well. (Charles Hansen & Barry Diament come to mind.) More often than not the experts end up leaving and really, who could blame them?

While I can appreciate wanting some sort of designation for industry experts, I'll remind y'all we have had many experts posting here over the years who were quite well known and it didn't always go well. (Charles Hansen & Barry Diament come to mind.) More often than not the experts end up leaving and really, who could blame them?

Not I, but I do appreciate their input for as long as they care to hang around. (This can be a very tough crowd. Kudos to the real experts who can deal with CA over the long term.)

--David

Melvin: It is interesting that you mention Barry Diament as he is someone I was thinking about when I made the suggestion. I thought Barry had a lot to add given his own recording studio experience. But Barry wasn't always as patient in dealing with neophites (and maybe even experts) who strongly disagreed with him. That doesn't mean I or others agreed with everything he said, but I much prefer having someone like him contribute without getting bombarded by "know it all" ignorants.

Maybe One and a half's suggestion as "Industry Member" would solve this as that would certainly have covered Barry and give newcomers a heads up.

I don't think the issue is a need for expert designation. Perhaps more a need for a 90 day "probationary member" designation as most of the ills I see are new posters making assertions with no supporting facts, not even a playback solution in their profile to understand what level of performance they drew their judgement from, and exhibiting rude, snarky behavior to others. I personally have issue with anyone posting advice/evaluation who won't share what kind of system they drew their results from.

+ 1

The Jitter thread is an example of where I think the "expert" category would fail; some highly technical opinions are being posted by individuals who when you scan their history of posts never give evidence of even having an investment in computer audio hobby.... armchair generals who have no real world practice in the hobby to base advice on.

Hm. I think a "highly technical opinion" may in itself be an "investment in the computer audio hobby." And technical opinions are usually much easier to falsify/verify than any subjective claim, so if a technical argument remains unchallenged then the author may actually know what he is talking about..

I was thinking of JRIVER also.