IGNORED

Devialet Phantoms vs the alternatives

Don't suppose anyone's compared the Devialet Phantoms with the KEF LS50, the KEF X300A or a pair of Sonos Play 5?

Looking to seriously downsize my high end system for a single Phantom or a pair of something else comparable. I have a Devialet 120 from my existing setup so I should be ok to power most passive speakers.

That said I'm a picky git and never stop fiddling with things, so a self imposed exile from audiophile gear towards a single box wireless speaker setup does sound very tempting....

Anyone else made the jump and come out well from it? Any recommendations on speaker models?

Don't suppose anyone's compared the Devialet Phantoms with the KEF LS50, the KEF X300A or a pair of Sonos Play 5?

Looking to seriously downsize my high end system for a single Phantom or a pair of something else comparable. I have a Devialet 120 from my existing setup so I should be ok to power most passive speakers.

That said I'm a picky git and never stop fiddling with things, so a self imposed exile from audiophile gear towards a single box wireless speaker setup does sound very tempting....

Anyone else made the jump and come out well from it? Any recommendations on speaker models?

I haven't downsized my system but the KEF LS50's seem to get nothing but positive reviews. Should be a pretty safe bet. There should be reviews posted on the Stereophile website.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

I can safely say that OP would hate Sonos Play 5. I also suspect, especially with SAM as an option, OP would prefer the LS50 with the Devialet 120 probably to the Phantom. However, Phantom can probably go quite a bit deeper into the bass frequencies. So it comes down to trade-offs. What I'm curious about is what full-range speakers is OP using right now. If the full-range speakers are too good, one would never be satisfied with downsizing. Obviously, bass management becomes more of an issue with the Phantom compared to the LS50.

I can safely say that OP would hate Sonos Play 5.

Thanks for the replies. Interesting what you say about the Sonos Play 5 - I heard they're an excellent speaker and punch above their weight (in price terms). I'd be using any speaker with an Airport Express since I only use Roon and Apple devices so I guess Sonos's streaming stuff would sit idle reducing its appeal in that respect.

I also suspect, especially with SAM as an option, OP would prefer the LS50 with the Devialet 120 probably to the Phantom. However, Phantom can probably go quite a bit deeper into the bass frequencies. So it comes down to trade-offs. What I'm curious about is what full-range speakers is OP using right now. If the full-range speakers are too good, one would never be satisfied with downsizing. Obviously, bass management becomes more of an issue with the Phantom compared to the LS50.

I use the KEF Reference 1 speaker. Specs here:

Hi-Fi Speakers - THE REFERENCE - Fact Sheets - Bookshelf - REFERENCE 1 - KEF International

When buying them I auditioned the LS50. Treble and mids sound similar. Where the Reference 1 shines is on those bass notes. It basically sounds like an LS50 with a very well tuned subwoofer.

I'd keep my Reference 1s but for two reasons.

1. The finish is lacquer and I swear the slightest knock would chip it. I noticed I'm far too precious about them and to quote Chuck Palahniuk The things you own end up owning you.

2. I have two little toddlers with free run of the house now, so think it's time for a speaker I can put up high (I have a nice piece of furniture next to my desk about 4' tall which would take a single Phantom) and a large bookcase behind me which could just about fit a pair of LS50 or X300As on top. I would have to run speaker cables around the room though for that....

I know neither position is ideal from a listening standpoint but since my listening room has been converted to a nursery I'll take what I can get!

So it sounds like the speaker positions are going to be suboptimal because of living conditions. The real downside to Phantom is that we have no idea with them going deeper into the low bass whether it'll induce a room mode and make music sound terrible as you have limited choice in placing the Phantom and probably on where you can sit. So you may end up with a really wonky bass response.

But why buy anything new? Can't you just put the Ref1 in the living room on a shelf with the Devialet so you can share the music with spouse and kids? Sure, the kids might knock them over. But I thought nowadays it's nice to have well-disciplined children. Don't they tend to succeed more in life? Maybe tell your spouse you love free-range chicken but not free-range children?

Oh, and you have kids so nothing in your home is precious except the kids.

So it sounds like the speaker positions are going to be suboptimal because of living conditions. The real downside to Phantom is that we have no idea with them going deeper into the low bass whether it'll induce a room mode and make music sound terrible as you have limited choice in placing the Phantom and probably on where you can sit. So you may end up with a really wonky bass response.

I did 'borrow' the Phantoms on their 45 day purchase trial for a bit. Awesome, awesome speakers. A single unit worked well in that position. Obviously a pair on dedicated stands properly positioned at ear level was a significant step up.

But why buy anything new? Can't you just put the Ref1 in the living room on a shelf with the Devialet so you can share the music with spouse and kids? Sure, the kids might knock them over. But I thought nowadays it's nice to have well-disciplined children. Don't they tend to succeed more in life? Maybe tell your spouse you love free-range chicken but not free-range children?

Good question, since I'll be taking a big hit on resale of my existing stuff.

Living room has a nice 'lifestyle' speaker already and besides wife has put the kabosh on me taking my hifi into the living room - might have something to do with my previous system consisting of 5x 4' tall floorstanders and a stack of Bryston 1000W monoblocks to power them taking up the whole room - ahh, those were the days ;)

Oh, and you have kids so nothing in your home is precious except the kids.

Well put.

I think Sonos Play 5 can be a nice sonic upgrade for the lifestyle speakers in the living room. I'm more ambivalent about a single Phantom in your study. I would try hooking the Devialet to a single Ref1 in the same spot and see if you're truly happy with that. Losing stereo seems like a big compromise. I know some guys at this stage would sell everything and move to head-fi. Like a Chord Hugo TT or DAVE with Sennheiser HD800S or Hifiman HE1000. Doesn't sound like you're there. In the end, whatever you choose probably wouldn't matter as the kids get older, your hands would be so full, you'll be happy with whatever setup you've got.