IGNORED

iPad / iPhone Playback

Late to the party .. again. I just found this app and downloaded it today (before seeing this thread). So far my experience has been great playing all sample rates. I'm using my Tranquility DAC and the app down samples high res flac files on the fly without issue. An audiophile bargain at $3.99. 

Here's how I'm using it:

iPad Air ➟ Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Adapter ➟ UpTone Audio USB REGEN ➟ dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC ➟ Decware ZSB ➟ APPJ PA0901A ➟ Omega Super 3i's

I'm curious to know if it's bit-perfect into high res capable DACs. Anyone?

For me it is:

Iphone 8 or iPad 2017 ->Lightning to USB3.0 Camera Adapter -> ifi microUSB3.0 -> Lyngdorf TDAI.

I can play anything up to DSD128 which is the within the spec of my TDAI and it sounds a lot better than the same connection with a customized MacMini into microUSB3.0.

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus

On 13/01/2018 at 10:12 PM, Melvin said:

Late to the party .. again. I just found this app and downloaded it today (before seeing this thread). So far my experience has been great playing all sample rates. I'm using my Tranquility DAC and the app down samples high res flac files on the fly without issue. An audiophile bargain at $3.99. 

Here's how I'm using it:

iPad Air ➟ Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Adapter ➟ UpTone Audio USB REGEN ➟ dB Audio Labs Tranquility DAC ➟ Decware ZSB ➟ APPJ PA0901A ➟ Omega Super 3i's

I'm curious to know if it's bit-perfect into high res capable DACs. Anyone?

The latest version of MusicStreamer now uses iOS 11 APIs to play FLAC files, so it should output high res to an external DAC. Previous versions would only output FLAC files at high-res after a high-res non-FLAC file had been played at least once.

33 minutes ago, HardrockInMiniMac said:

For me it is:

Iphone 8 or iPad 2017 ->Lightning to USB3.0 Camera Adapter -> ifi microUSB3.0 -> Lyngdorf TDAI.

I can play anything up to DSD128 which is the within the spec of my TDAI and it sounds a lot better than the same connection with a customized MacMini into microUSB3.0.

Chris

I hear similar in my own system. Honestly took me by surprise during my latest round of highly subjective testing I might add.

28 minutes ago, Nathan_Stratospherix said:

The latest version of MusicStreamer now uses iOS 11 APIs to play FLAC files, so it should output high res to an external DAC. Previous versions would only output FLAC files at high-res after a high-res non-FLAC file had been played at least once.

Thank you Nathan! I love the app .. easy to set up and use, convenient, and rock-solid. BTW, A bit depth/sample rate indicator would be a nice touch :).

On 1/16/2018 at 7:20 AM, Nathan_Stratospherix said:

Hi Melvin

Thank you for your feedback. We're delighted that you like MusicStreamer. 

I just bought MusicStreamer and have just started seeing what it can do... Finding my NAS was easy and it is working well so far.  Very nice app.

@Nathan_Stratospherix I would gladly pay extra for some additional features/capabilities:

- DSD support. Being able to play DSD files in some manner would be great.

-  When browsing/playing  songs/albums the option to show the file format and sample rate would be really good.

Is it possible to downlaod for local/offline playback a playlist? Will be nice to be able to load a bunch of stuff onto my iPhone for when I travel (instead of streaming and sucking up my 4G data).

---------------

Rich Brkich

Owner, Signature Sound

Liverpool, New York USA

FaceBook Page: http://www.facebook.com/Signature.Sound.HiFi

Hi RichB

Thank you for your feedback. I have passed those requests to the dev team.

MusicStreamer supports offline playback. Tap the menu icon for a track, album or playlist and choose "Download for Offline Playback" and the tracks will be downloaded and stored within MusicStreamer's local folder. You can use the Filter drop-down to choose to display only those tracks that are available offline so that you can easily find tracks while away from your WiFi.  You can also choose to remove downloaded tracks in the same way at any time.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Rexp said:

Anyone got experience of using ipad with the lightning to Hdmi connector into an AVR. How does the sound compare to the USB connector?

Not exactly, but I will hypothesize that USB connections will sound better since they are more focused on Audio than HDMI which is focused on Video.   Of course, different Mfgs will have different SQ focus on ports based on circuit board desigh. 

That said, if you are using anything compressed you probably wouldnt hear a difference on a modern AVR.

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.