IGNORED

iPad / iPhone Playback

I've recently moved all of my hi res music files to a Synology 1515+ server. I'm going to tap those files in my music room with Audirvana and a Mac Mini.

My wife listens to Pandora on her iPad and connects to a B&W portable speaker to play music in several places in the house.

The question is: Are they hi res players for iPad / iPhone that will allow you to access a NAS server for source material? If so, then it would be theoretically possible for her to use it to tap my 1000+ albums worth of files. I've found some Hi Res player apps but can't seem to find any that will let you connect to a local area network storage solution.

Thanks for any advice

Eric

dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Master Clock

D'Agostino M400 Momentum Monoblocks

Magico S1 Mk2 speakers

Mac Mini running Audirvana

Transparent Opus Gen 5 Speaker Cables

Transparent Ref XL Interconnects

Shunyata and Furutech power cords

@Cincy2 - You could install JRiver Media Center on the Mini and JRemote on the iOS device and stream everything to the iOS device from your NAS. Here is some info on this - Computer Audiophile - Streaming Around The Globe Or Around The Home With JRiver Media Center

This looks like the solution I was searching for. Thanks!

Eric

dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler and Master Clock

D'Agostino M400 Momentum Monoblocks

Magico S1 Mk2 speakers

Mac Mini running Audirvana

Transparent Opus Gen 5 Speaker Cables

Transparent Ref XL Interconnects

Shunyata and Furutech power cords

• 6 months later...

Hi there folks-

I was looking for a good way to listen to my NAS music from my iPad/iPhone using headphones while reading so as not to disturb my spouse and found this App:

Anyone else have any experience with the Stratospherix MusicStreamer IOS App?

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/musicstreamer/

I've bought and downloaded the App on my iPad and it is scranning my NAS- seems to be finding the Albums ok.

The App seems to be optimized for Time-capsule, but I was able to connect to my WD Mycloud NAS by entering in the IP address (static). Now it is scanning my NAS library and seems to be finding everything ok except playlists. I Haven't tried playback yet, and I don't have any high res file, most everything is Apple Lossless.

Current NAS configuration:

Mostly lossless iTunes library manually mirrored from Win10 laptop to->

WDmycloud NAS 1.5 GB static ip wired to ->

Linksys AC1900router

Mobile devices are iOS, Computers are Windows 10

I will report back on how this works, but so far this is looking like an easy way to listen to my favorite albums at night on headphones while readIng...

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

Hi there folks-

I was looking for a good way to listen to my NAS music from my iPad/iPhone using headphones while reading so as not to disturb my spouse and found this App:

I've bought and downloaded the App on my iPad and it is scranning my NAS- seems to be finding the Albums ok.

The App seems to be optimized for Time-capsule, but I was able to connect to my WD Mycloud NAS by entering in the IP address (static). Now it is scanning my NAS library and seems to be finding everything ok except playlists. I Haven't tried playback yet, and I don't have any high res file, most everything is Apple Lossless.

Linksys AC1900router

I will report back on how this works, but so far this is looking like an easy way to listen to my favorite albums at night on headphones while readIng...

That looks pretty cool. I wonder if it's streaming bit perfect to the phone.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Cincy2, the easiest and most straightforward way to do this is using DSAudio, the iOS app from Synology. That way you don't need another computer to serve the audio, as you would if you used JRiver. Also, if you configure "Quick Connect" on the NAS, you won't have to hassle with Port forwarding.

I did a bit more research on this app and found that Gordon from @Wavelength Audio is a fan as well.

Cincy2, first using anything less than an iPad Pro would be defeating. You would want to get the USB3 iPad connection kit so that you can charge and play at the same time.

I used this app a ton before rocky mountain. I had a nice 4T library on a TimeCapsule as well with a Qnap SSD NAS. We had the setup @RMAF2016 in the kitchen running music all day.

You basically queue up songs or make playlists. It's really pretty powerful and user friendly.

Thanks,

Gordon

App plays back both Applelossless and mp3s from my iTunes NAS Library-

Here is a screen shot post Scan:

IMG_0144.PNG

Likes like a winner for $4 US!

Enjoy!

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.

What I wanna know:

Anything exist that can let me play from my Amazon Cloud Drive? 'Cause all my music's on there, and accessing that would make it available anywhere there's enough wi-fi speed to keep the player's buffer filled (leaving questions of hi res and DSD aside - that would be lagniappe - but just thinking of RedBook AIFF files for the moment).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

What I wanna know:

Anything exist that can let me play from my Amazon Cloud Drive? 'Cause all my music's on there, and accessing that would make it available anywhere there's enough wi-fi speed to keep the player's buffer filled (leaving questions of hi res and DSD aside - that would be lagniappe - but just thinking of RedBook AIFF files for the moment).

I've found a couple (e.g., "CloudBeats" for iOS), but they only present the music in folders. My folder layout is Artist / Album / Track, and a lot of the folders only have a few tracks from a specific album because of the initial filter on "Artist" (*not* album artist, which would be much better for this purpose).

I have not found one that reads tags properly and presents as albums instead of folders :/

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Music Streamer is what I have been using to stream from my Synology to my iPad and iPhone. Really works well. Also the library scan stays on your iPhone when you are away from the NAS. Even helps me stop buying second copies of CD's I already own but have forgotten about.

Regards

Mark

FYI - I figured out that if I enter the NAS name as it shows up in ny network discovery then I don't need to enter the IP address to connect to the NAS and start scanning.

Hi there folks-

Linksys AC1900router

App plays back both Applelossless and mp3s from my iTunes NAS Library-

Here is a screen shot post Scan:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33100[/ATTACH]

Likes like a winner for $4 US!

Enjoy!

Just bought the app and tried it on my iPad Mini and iPod Touch. I needed to add a Samba share to my BeagleBone Black with Debian Jessie that I use as a NAS. Then I entered the IP address of the NAS in the Music Streamer app and it found the music and started scanning. Sounds very nice with my iFi iDSD Nano. The only problem is that for my 2800 album AIFF collection the cache takes up 2.05 Gb on the iPad which is a bit much for me as I've only got a 16 Gb device.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Just bought the app and tried it on my iPad Mini and iPod Touch. I needed to add a Samba share to my BeagleBone Black with Debian Jessie that I use as a NAS. Then I entered the IP address of the NAS in the Music Streamer app and it found the music and started scanning. Sounds very nice with my iFi iDSD Nano. The only problem is that for my 2800 album AIFF collection the cache takes up 2.05 Gb on the iPad which is a bit much for me as I've only got a 16 Gb device.

Sounds like a good excuse to trot down to BestBuy and get a new iPad!

They have a good trade in program

Nice app, not quite in JRemote league, but pretty close.

One question, when casting to GoggleChromecastAudio should the volume be set to max?

I rarely use my Chromecast audio so I can't say, but it was pretty cool to see it show up in the MusicStreamer App as an output option.

Just downloaded MusicStreamer to my iPhone and iPad. Amazingly fluid install...found the NAS on my network easily, scanned the music folder and now ready to go.

Clearly a well designed App. Thanks for the recommend. Looking forward to trying out my new Dragon Red with the iPhone.

I hope the industry understands how influential this site!

Thanks,

WDW

• 2 months later...

Hi there. I work for Stratospherix and would like to thank you all for your kind comments about our MusicStreamer app. If you ever have any issues please don't hesitate to email us at [email protected].

Personally MusicStreamer is the only app I use to stream from my Synology NAS or my iMac to a Chromecast Audio connected via optical cable to a Taishan DAC (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0068IPE40) that is connected to my Hi-Fi amp using these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B019148C78 - better than an expensive interconnect cable. It sounds great.

On 09/02/2017 at 9:28 AM, Music Matters said:

Nice app, not quite in JRemote league, but pretty close.

One question, when casting to GoggleChromecastAudio should the volume be set to max?

This depends on whether the Chromecast Audio output is going into a Hi-Fi amp or into PC-type speakers. When connecting via a copper cable the Chromecast volume will affect level of the signal, so having the Chromecast (MusicStreamer) volume low and the speaker physical volume high will result in poor quality. Setting the Chromecast volume too high may also distort PC-type speakers. For the best results the Chromecast volume should be as high as possible without distorting.

If you are connecting to a Hi-Fi, the "Full dynamic range" setting in the Google Home app can be switched on. This fixes the Chromecast output volume to line-out levels. The Google help page https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6290498?hl=en-GB describes this. I found that my old Labtec PC speakers sounded better on this setting and didn't distort. If connecting via an optical cable, "Full dynamic range" is automatically enabled.