IGNORED

Choice of Device (Android)

Hey All,

So recently I've been looking at getting a tablet, was looking up on using it as an audio player and read from various places and from posts such as the ones below that an Android device + USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) + DAC makes a pretty good and economical setup.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/windows-tablet-audio-pc-24972/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/android-and-hifi-audio-28380/

With UAPP bypassing Android restrictions to a decent DAC, I'm wondering how much my choice of Android device and consequently how much source devices in general in such a setup are likely to affect it.

The catch is that I'm looking to get a Chinese tablet, the Cube iWork12. To maintain some perspective however, I must point out that Cube is generally considered to be one of the better brands of Chinese tablets, only second behind Xiaomi, and is known to have relatively good build quality and QC. The iWork12 in particular is also arguably the best Chinese Atom tablet around since its release, and supports OTG USB hosting. In all likelihood, it would be hooked up to a Schitt Modi 2 Uber or Multibit, which are both self-powered.

While I feel that the source device in such a setup is unlikely to have a significant bearing on the outcome, my audiophile experience is relatively limited. So I'm looking to the community for opinions on the likelihood of my choice of device undermining my setup.

Thanks.

Hey All,

So recently I've been looking at getting a tablet, was looking up on using it as an audio player and read from various places and from posts such as the ones below that an Android device + USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) + DAC makes a pretty good and economical setup.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/windows-tablet-audio-pc-24972/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/android-and-hifi-audio-28380/

With UAPP bypassing Android restrictions to a decent DAC, I'm wondering how much my choice of Android device and consequently how much source devices in general in such a setup are likely to affect it.

The catch is that I'm looking to get a Chinese tablet, the Cube iWork12. To maintain some perspective however, I must point out that Cube is generally considered to be one of the better brands of Chinese tablets, only second behind Xiaomi, and is known to have relatively good build quality and QC. The iWork12 in particular is also arguably the best Chinese Atom tablet around since its release, and supports OTG USB hosting. In all likelihood, it would be hooked up to a Schitt Modi 2 Uber or Multibit, which are both self-powered.

While I feel that the source device in such a setup is unlikely to have a significant bearing on the outcome, my audiophile experience is relatively limited. So I'm looking to the community for opinions on the likelihood of my choice of device undermining my setup.

Thanks.

Android devices do sound different, for example my Sony Z3c phone sounded less good than Sony ZX2 DAP when using the Sony PHA3 DAC. Try before you buy!

Android devices do sound different, for example my Sony Z3c phone sounded less good than Sony ZX2 DAP when using the Sony PHA3 DAC. Try before you buy!

Thanks for the feedback.

I would expect a notable difference in the jump from a $200 Z3c mobile phone to a $1000+ ZX2 DAP music player though. I assume you were using UAPP and the DAC on AC too (I think the PHA3 runs on AC, battery or USB?).

What would be the likely difference between the Cube iWork12 and a tablet of an established brand in the same or similar price bracket? (Side note: I'm keen on the iWork12 because of its 12"+ screen as I'll be using it to stream sports. Big brand tablets in the same price range would have smaller, usually 8" screens.)

Would it be good to include a USB interface, like the Schitt Wyrd, to clean up USB noise when using alternative brand devices? (I understand it's usually unnecessary for most regular setups.)

Or am I better off sticking to my Windows PC (more noise & processes, less accuracy & clarity?) or getting a single board pc?

Unfortunately I don't have access to trying any of this equipment beforehand. I suppose I could just buy them all and find out, but it'd be nice to have some sort of reference before I do.

Thanks for the feedback.

I would expect a notable difference in the jump from a $200 Z3c mobile phone to a $1000+ ZX2 DAP music player though. I assume you were using UAPP and the DAC on AC too (I think the PHA3 runs on AC, battery or USB?).

What would be the likely difference between the Cube iWork12 and a tablet of an established brand in the same or similar price bracket? (Side note: I'm keen on the iWork12 because of its 12"+ screen as I'll be using it to stream sports. Big brand tablets in the same price range would have smaller, usually 8" screens.)

Would it be good to include a USB interface, like the Schitt Wyrd, to clean up USB noise when using alternative brand devices? (I understand it's usually unnecessary for most regular setups.)

Or am I better off sticking to my Windows PC (more noise & processes, less accuracy & clarity?) or getting a single board pc?

Unfortunately I don't have access to trying any of this equipment beforehand. I suppose I could just buy them all and find out, but it'd be nice to have some sort of reference before I do.

I explored the tablet option but decided against it because they don't have sufficient storage capacity so trying a windows 10 laptop with a cheap streamer (Chromecast Audio) , sounds good but still early days and am experimenting with media players etc.

I explored the tablet option but decided against it because they don't have sufficient storage capacity so trying a windows 10 laptop with a cheap streamer (Chromecast Audio) , sounds good but still early days and am experimenting with media players etc.

I'm probably getting the tablet regardless, and since a single board computer's pretty cheap, I might just get one of those too and experiment between Windows PC, tablet and SBC; eventually I might settle with the SBC with Volumio or something as the final setup, but in the meantime i'll keep exploring what's the best option for sq.