IGNORED

Balanced Isolation Power Supply

Same goes for passive speakers because 99.9% of the time the X-over is in the same enclosure as the speakers.

And in both cases, I find this a terribly bad idea.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I doubt speaker manufacturers are going to worry about it.

I doubt it too, just as I doubt most people are going to worry about it.

My future builds, however, won't have any of that crap.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

the bigger bang for the buck is enclosure rigidity to insure drivers can't move on their mountings or speaker stand even microscopically.

No, while it's necessary to do that, you'd need to seismically isolate everything.

Additionally: 'enclosure'? No.

There's a lot of patching up to make boxed designs sound good. I'd rather have an open-baffle design nowadays.

As a related question, let's assume we decide to use both the amp and the crossover outside the 'boxed' speaker design, where do you think is the best location for both of them?

No, while it's necessary to do that, you'd need to seismically isolate everything.

Additionally: 'enclosure'? No.

There's a lot of patching up to make boxed designs sound good. I'd rather have an open-baffle design nowadays.

As a related question, let's assume we decide to use both the amp and the crossover outside the 'boxed' speaker design, where do you think is the best location for both of them?

I do find the Spatial Audio line no enclosure design intriguing, hope to audition them some day as a possible alternative to the cost of larger amplifiers for inefficient Magnepans. Seismic's is not the reason for rigid driver mounting; its to keep the plane of the driver mount from flexing as the speaker driver travels in and out. Its an easy demonstration to show imaging collapse and improvement based on success of keeping the driver mounting rigidly tied into the mount plane and by success in preventing mount plane movement caused by low bass driver excursion.

I have a pair of defunct magnepan IIIa's where the crossover was an external box, usually sat at the base of the speaker. if the crossover is passive, I don't know of any reason other than cable run economics for where the crossover should sit.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Seismic's is not the reason for rigid driver mounting; its to keep the plane of the driver mount from flexing as the speaker driver travels in and out.

Proves my point that you still need to isolate from seismic vibrations, doesn't it?

Proves my point that you still need to isolate from seismic vibrations, doesn't it?

Lets not use the word "seismic"... I'm sure the geologists and oil industry people are all wincing at the incorrect use. What I think you are referring to is surface born vibration as interference. Its appropriate to insure that speakers are rigidly coupled to the floor so that the enclosure can't move, most commonly done with floor spikes or external bracing.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Lets not use the word "seismic"... I'm sure the geologists and oil industry people are all wincing at the incorrect use. What I think you are referring to is surface born vibration as interference.

Not at all, it's you who are confused.

Seismic is used in its proper terminology here: earth-borne very low-frequency vibrations either from tectonic plates moving or from man-made causes like trucks and road repairs nearby.

c.f. Townshend's presentations and chart where the term is used exactly like this and where he shows the correlations he found between these and SQ at various hours of the day and night.

Again, this has nothing to do with bracing or securing your speaker driver to the baffle or enclosure - it's much more fundamental than that.

In other words, yet again because you seem to be fixed on the bracing of the speaker driver and the enclosure, you could have a perfectly well braced and fixed speaker driver in an enclosure, but you can still find SQ varying because the speaker isn't on seismic isolation as compared to putting it on seismic isolated platform (like a ball-and-cup arrangement or that coupled with an air-bed like Barry Diament and others before him proposed or by using a Townshend platform).

There's a whole long thread rife with papers around here, reachable from my profile.

It's worth giving at least a ball-and-cup arrangement under the speakers a try. I don't have Electro-statics so can't comment on them, but I have tested a ball-and-cup underneath my current 'boxed' Totem Mites and some other gear as well.

Not at all, it's you who are confused.

Seismic is used in its proper terminology here: earth-borne very low-frequency vibrations either from tectonic plates moving or from man-made causes like trucks and road repairs nearby.

c.f. Townshend's presentations and chart where the term is used exactly like this and where he shows the correlations he found between these and SQ at various hours of the day and night.

Again, this has nothing to do with bracing or securing your speaker driver to the baffle or enclosure - it's much more fundamental than that.

In other words, yet again because you seem to be fixed on the bracing of the speaker driver and the enclosure, you could have a perfectly well braced and fixed speaker driver in an enclosure, but you can still find SQ varying because the speaker isn't on seismic isolation as compared to putting it on seismic isolated platform (like a ball-and-cup arrangement or that coupled with an air-bed like Barry Diament and others before him proposed or by using a Townshend platform).

There's a whole long thread rife with papers around here, reachable from my profile.

It's worth giving at least a ball-and-cup arrangement under the speakers a try. I don't have Electro-statics so can't comment on them, but I have tested a ball-and-cup underneath my current 'boxed' Totem Mites and some other gear as well.

I'm sure you are well intentioned... but your science/reasoning just doesn't impress me. I much prefer to stick to what I learned from an acoustical physicist turned Linn dealer.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

In keeping with vibration and reducing the effects of it on signals, how come, an active speaker has a lot of vibration but the amplifier is inside been shaken to hell.

Is this some compromise to the SQ or is the amp fully potted to avoid vibrations?

+10, love to hear the theory behind this. Clearly Meridian have one, multi thousand dollar all in ones. Sound great though. The cabinets really don't move (glass of water test) in play but move when the floor does (obvs). Stiff cabinet/no vibration? There has to be some though. I'm no engineer obviously.