IGNORED

Bruckner's 8th in Hi Res

I've ordered a secondhand CD of Wand's Berlin Eighth. $2 (US) plus shipping. It felt a little silly to buy another Bruckner 8, since I already have three complete cycles and I really don't need four or five recordings of a piece I listen to so rarely, but at this price it doesn't matter – it's a fraction of the opportunity cost for a single listen.

The decision to buy RBCD actually came before the further discussion revealed that this recording was probably made at standard resolution, with an SACD only for surround sound. Normally I try to buy a recording in the best possible sound quality, but this case triggered an exception: out of principle, I do not pay a premium for better-than-CD formats of live recordings.

I'd be very surprised if you regret spending your 2 bucks. It's clearly better than half a Venti Macchiato at Starbucks....

Keep me posted.

You can't have too many versions of this masterpiece. If you are throwing 16 bit into the mix, then do look out for the great Celibidache and, of course, Horenstein. I had the great good fortune to hear Blomstedt conduct the VPO in Salzburg - that was a shattering experience. I really like the Blomstedt recording. The live Karajan recording gets much praise, but it leaves me a little underwhelmed, I have to say.

• 2 weeks later...

Disappointment follows excitement....

Got my Bruckner Wand Cycle set in yesterday from Presto. Start ripping the discs today and get to the fourth disc which is disc 1 of Bruckner 8, and while snapping it out of the jewel case, the disc snaps all the way through center to outer edge. I was not prying it hard or bending it too much although it was a little stubborn coming out.

Damn.

If there is a kind soul in North America that could see it in their heart to send their disc 4 to me to be ripped, I would send a gift card of your choosing your way. Anything less than the $42 replacement cost for the entire set and it's a win for me. We can arrange via PM. Bummed.

Disappointment follows excitement....

Got my Bruckner Wand Cycle set in yesterday from Presto. Start ripping the discs today and get to the fourth disc which is disc 1 of Bruckner 8, and while snapping it out of the jewel case, the disc snaps all the way through center to outer edge. I was not prying it hard or bending it too much although it was a little stubborn coming out.

Damn.

If there is a kind soul in North America that could see it in their heart to send their disc 4 to me to be ripped, I would send a gift card of your choosing your way. Anything less than the $42 replacement cost for the entire set and it's a win for me. We can arrange via PM. Bummed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can pick up the same recording of the 8th at a low used price: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005Q66Y/sr=1-2/qid=1472734463/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1472734463&sr=1-2

My experience with Bruckner is quite limited, but when comparing recordings to build my classical collection, I selected first the Wand set, then the Janowski 8th, and thirdly the Karajan set, based on listening.

Have loads of versions on LP, CD, SACD and download. Currently enjoying Takashi Asahina on JVC XRCD (not sure if that counts as hi res) and also Schuricht on EMI SACD.

Generally not a Karajan fan, but his last recording with VPO is special. If we count LP as a hi res source...then my choice would be Klemperer or Solti.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can pick up the same recording of the 8th at a low used price: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005Q66Y/sr=1-2/qid=1472734463/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1472734463&sr=1-2

My experience with Bruckner is quite limited, but when comparing recordings to build my classical collection, I selected first the Wand set, then the Janowski 8th, and thirdly the Karajan set, based on listening.

Thanks Christopher, will look to pick this up. Such a disappointment. Appreciate the suggestion.