IGNORED

Synology Box RAID configuration

Which RAID configuration did you select and why? Going to be setting up my DS1815+ this week using 5 WD 4TB RAID drives.

My Dedicated 2CH System Gallery

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

SHR will allow your NAS to still operate with one failed drive. SHR-2 will allow for two failed drives, but leaves much less space available for your use.

I went with SHR as I just really couldn't justify giving up all that extra space just to have a level of redundancy I might never require. I have never regretted that decision. I have had few drives fail on me, but never two at a time. I also now have one spare drive handy should I need it.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels

Did you get an 1815+ or the 1515+? The 18 accepts 8 3.5 inch drives.

edit SHR2

I got the 1815+ and starting out with 5 drives. I will add drive later.

Custom C.A.P.S. Reference Music Server with UpTone Audio JS-2 External Linear Power Supply > Bel Canto REFLink Asynchronous USB Converter > AT&T ST Optical Glass Fiber > Bel Canto DAC3.7 DAC > Pass Labs XP-20 Preamp > Pass Labs XA160.5 Class A Mono Blocks > Martin Logan Summit X Speakers

Powered By Balanced Power Technologies - UpTone Audio JS-2 Linear Power Supply - CyberPower Sinewave UPS

SHR will allow your NAS to still operate with one failed drive. SHR-2 will allow for two failed drives, but leaves much less space available for your use.

I went with SHR as I just really couldn't justify giving up all that extra space just to have a level of redundancy I might never require. I have never regretted that decision. I have had few drives fail on me, but never two at a time. I also now have one spare drive handy should I need it.

That's the direction I may go SHR. I feel drives are very reliable nowadays. I've only lost 2 in the last 10 years.

SHR should be ok, but still arrange for backup elsewhere, at least to local USB. In addition, I got the free Amazon Cloud drive, and setup a cloudsync program on the NAS to back up to the cloud as well. Slow, I know, but if my closet gets nuked, and both the NAS and USB drive get killed, I have is somewhere.

[Home Digital] Bricasti M12 > DIY M2x Monoblocks > Daedalus Audio Muse Studio Speakers

[Home Analog] Technics SL-1200G > Boulder 508 (Zu DL-103/Hana ML/Denon DL-301 II)

[Office] Laptop > Kitsune R2R lvl3 > Violectric V281 > Focal Utopia Headphones (balanced)

[beach/Travel] Laptop > DragonFly Red > Ether Headphones

SHR should be ok, but still arrange for backup elsewhere, at least to local USB. In addition, I got the free Amazon Cloud drive, and setup a cloudsync program on the NAS to back up to the cloud as well. Slow, I know, but if my closet gets nuked, and both the NAS and USB drive get killed, I have is somewhere.

Exactly right. I backup to multiple USB drives and to the cloud as well via CrashPlan.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC 

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels

You can arrange to have DSM send you email alerts. One such alert is the Monthly Disk Health Report. Here's what I received this morning:

The following is your monthly report regarding the health of disks on DiskStation. You can also check the health of individual disks at Storage Manager > HDD/SSD > Health Info.

Disk 1:

Disk Reconnection Count 0

Bad Sector Count 13

Disk Re-identification Count 0

Disk 2:

Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 3:

Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 4:

Bad Sector Count 0

Obviously Disk 1 isn't in perfect health. The bad sector count has remained the same though for the last 3 months, so at least it's not getting worse. At some point I'll have to replace it. Nice that the OS makes it easy to keep an eye on such things.

They Lord - you should replace that drive ASAP. It will have less risk to replace it now, instead of when a second drive starts to fail. :)

-Paul

You can arrange to have DSM send you email alerts. One such alert is the Monthly Disk Health Report. Here's what I received this morning:

The following is your monthly report regarding the health of disks on DiskStation. You can also check the health of individual disks at Storage Manager > HDD/SSD > Health Info.

Disk 1:

Bad Sector Count 13

Disk 2:

Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 3:

Bad Sector Count 0

Disk 4:

Bad Sector Count 0

Obviously Disk 1 isn't in perfect health. The bad sector count has remained the same though for the last 3 months, so at least it's not getting worse. At some point I'll have to replace it. Nice that the OS makes it easy to keep an eye on such things.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

you should replace that drive ASAP. It will have less risk to replace it now, instead of when a second drive starts to fail. :)

That would be wise, wouldn't it? I'll toss it in tonight.

Drives 1, 2 & 4 are actually 4TB WD Red drives. Drive 3 is a 3 TB Seagate. The spare is actually another 4 TB Red. It was purcahsed to replace the Seagate drive and give me a bit more free space. It pains me to have to actually use it to replace another Red drive, which is why I've been dragging my feet.

Ahh, I didn't know you could do that.

You can on the fly add drives and also swap existing drives for larger ones.

RAID 5. I don't see you needing additional parity with just 8 drives that the unit supports. We run RAID 6 in production but then again we have 48 drives in a Super Micro CIB.

How large and what type of drives are you running in these production systems? The problem is with a NAS as mentioned by the Op is not that two drives may die in normal use, but it is very possible a second one will die during the rebuilt phase. If you have drives which have been purchased at the same time and one dies, the stress of the rebuild may knock out another. It takes a great deal of time to rebuild multi-terabyte drives, not like smaller drives used in most production servers on high-speed hardware-based SCSI, SAS controllers which rebuild quickly. I would always vote for redundancy, but that's my opinion.

How large and what type of drives are you running in these production systems? The problem is with a NAS as mentioned by the Op is not that two drives may die in normal use, but it is very possible a second one will die during the rebuilt phase. If you have drives which have been purchased at the same time and one dies, the stress of the rebuild may knock out another. It takes a great deal of time to rebuild multi-terabyte drives, not like smaller drives used in most production servers on high-speed hardware-based SCSI, SAS controllers which rebuild quickly. I would always vote for redundancy, but that's my opinion.

We run WD WD4001FYYG currently and we run PCIe SSD's for tiered cache. We roll over every three years. In the meantime we can suffer 3 concurrent HD failures but never have come close. We would simply replace a failed drive with same model and keep one in the tank as a hot spare.

So my experience is for the end user to just go with RAID 5 for the 8 bay solution and not let the system get past 5 years considering the low demands placed on the drives in home use.

That and get Hitachi consumer drives if price is of a concern.

RAID 5. I don't see you needing additional parity with just 8 drives that the unit supports. We run RAID 6 in production but then again we have 48 drives in a Super Micro CIB.

5 + 2 + 1 is a valid and very useful configuration for 8 pack drive arrays. If one is trying to maximize availability and reliability but still balance with performance, it is sure the way to go.

For those who are not familiar, that is 5 data drives, two parity drives, and one spare. You can pretty much loose any three active drives out of that configuration and continue operating with no loss of data or service.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein