IGNORED

Music for free...from a dealer?

A quandary. Got wind of a dealer in Chicago that is basically giving away terabytes of music (ripped CDs, hi Rez downloads, etc) away loaded on a nas drive to customers. Is this a good example of how to do business or is this the wrong way to keep a customer?

Customer in question is happy by the way.

David

Not necessarily ethical, but the dealer is probably doing everything he can to keep his customer base in his brick & mortar store instead of turning to discount internet retailers. Desperate times for some of these guys..

Synology DS1515+ >  PS Audio P10 > Innuos Zenith Mk II running Roon Core > IsoRegen/LPS-1 > Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 > Tekton Double Impact Speakers

@realhifi - Great thread topic. I believe the issue is worldwide, not just a dealer in Chicago.

I look at this a couple ways.

1. If the activity is not condoned by the rights holders of the content, then it's wrong. Plain and simple. This may hurt all involved in the industry from the artist to the cleaning staff to sites such as HDtracks and possibly even CA.

2. I had additional thoughts to enter here, but after writing in number one and listening to myself justify number two, it doesn't sound right.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

If the record companies get wind of this, he won't have to worry about a struggling business anymore !

He would be likely to see his business lost, and possibly his home too, in a huge claim for damages that may ripple right throughout the whole industry.

In the case of DTS dealers, they actually have a large library of official DTS Music videos and excerpts from DTS encoded movies to use for Demo purposes ONLY.

There are more than 13 different unencrypted DTS Music Video Demo discs on BluRay with close to 23GB of music videos on each BluRay in 1080 video.

Many have more than 25 separate complete music videos on them, with many videos in multi-channel Audio.

Perhaps the rest of the Music Industry isn't supporting dealers as well as they deserve to be supported ?

http://103.imagebam.com/download/XdOip0Ne4PnSEN4fYOfW6A/28321/283203208/QQ20131022085822.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I will know more in a week or two as I will be assisting recipient of files in getting his system up and running. This is a touchy subject on many levels as folks share libraries back and forth, etc. but I think it gets a bit more serious when (if) a "keeper of the flame" so to speak, is practicing a loose and cavalier attitude about artistic renumeration for work published and on the open market.

David

I will know more in a week or two as I will be assisting recipient of files in getting his system up and running. This is a touchy subject on many levels as folks share libraries back and forth, etc. but I think it gets a bit more serious when (if) a "keeper of the flame" so to speak, is practicing a loose and cavalier attitude about artistic renumeration for work published and on the open market.

It rubs me the wrong way when someone is obviously doing this in an effort to help them make money (please a customer = make money).

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

It rubs me the wrong way when someone is obviously doing this in an effort to help them make money (please a customer = make money).

Plus they are making money by stealing other people's business/money.

Putting into a concrete context it is similar to the "dealer" stealing steak and lobster from the restaurant next door to serve "free" meals to his customers. It amazes me how people rationalize their actions.

Before we jump to conclusions and convict someone in the court of public opinion let's see if it's possible he's doing something legal. It's certainly possible that the dealer received all of this music though open licensed sources. After all there is a considerable amount of music that is free to download. Bands that are trying to get discovered often hand out CDs for free, there are websites dedicated to creative commons music, many local bands have free downloads on their websites. The question would be does he have a right to redistribute these recordings?

A quandary. Got wind of a dealer in Chicago that is basically giving away terabytes of music (ripped CDs, hi Rez downloads, etc) away loaded on a nas drive to customers. Is this a good example of how to do business or is this the wrong way to keep a customer?

This is definitely not OK if the dealer giving away the music is not the rights holder.

Ciamara is the trusted leader in high end audio. We deliver the tailored advice and service of the best local stereo shops, but with a dynamic, interactive experience that is only possible on the Web. For more details, we invite you to visit us at ciamara.com

There are offers online that include Free Downloads with audio equipment purchases.

For example, the Native DSD Gear store sells DSD DACs, Players and Headphones along with 1 to 8 Free DSD Downloads - depending on the price of the audio equipment.

But those downloads are licensed. I have no idea what the story is for the earlier example of TBs of music being given away (mentioned earlier in the thread).

https://www.nativedsdgear.com/products

If this is what it appears to be, it is a serious violation. I would think that this is painfully obvious. Terabytes: think of the cost purchased retail even if used or on sale! If the dealer does not have the rights and these are a duplication someone's personal lifetime music library, or a compilation of several, this NAS drive may easily be worth far more than the components purchased. Not rushing to judgement, but this is what it appears to be.

Before we jump to conclusions and convict someone in the court of public opinion let's see if it's possible he's doing something legal. It's certainly possible that the dealer received all of this music though open licensed sources. After all there is a considerable amount of music that is free to download. Bands that are trying to get discovered often hand out CDs for free, there are websites dedicated to creative commons music, many local bands have free downloads on their websites. The question would be does he have a right to redistribute these recordings?

I understand what you're saying but there's just no way this can be legit. This is a high end audio store that's doing this. The drive will be loaded with high quality recordings. I've never seen anyone giving away high rez recordings for free.

Agreed. That's why I wanted to dig a bit deeper before making any judgement. At first blush it felt off but I am definitely open to it being one of the options you mentioned.

David

Putting into a concrete context it is similar to the "dealer" stealing steak and lobster from the restaurant next door to serve "free" meals to his customers. It amazes me how people rationalize their actions.

Or a store that sells dinnerware stealing steak & lobster from the restaurant next door to put on every plate sold.

Win10 Sweetwater recording studio PC running JRMC > Soundcraft Ui24r 24-track digital mixer > JBL LSR308 via Magomi Balanced XLR cable pair

Nobody seems to get/follow "the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty".

This is CA... lets get on with the pitchforks shall we.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Nobody seems to get/follow "the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty".

This is CA... lets get on with the pitchforks shall we.

We get it but it just doesn't apply in this case. First, we're not in a courtroom. Second, we have the right to freely discuss the matter. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't override our right to free speech. Third, we don't know what store is doing this, so we couldn't help or hurt them even if we wanted to.

I don't know maybe I am just a misanthropic cynic but according to the OP it is terabytes of music including high res stuff, etc. it doesn't sound like indie groups hoping to be discovered distributing their wares.

What if the dealer gave away a free 5 year subscription to Tidal? Is there an ethical equivalence of sorts that suddenly looks much less ominous?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Computer Audiophile mobile app

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Not exactly. In your example physical inventory that could be sold by the restaurant no longer exists and cannot be sold to the next customer that walks into the door. Based on what the OP described, we're not talking about physical CDs, LPs, etc.

In the OP's scenario, the "loss" is future sales to / purchases by the person(s) receiving the "free" music.

Regardless, if true, then this is some seriously bad judgement by the business owner with consequences far worse than closing shop and declaring bankruptcy.