IGNORED

PS Audio Bridge II vs Auralic Aries vs Sonore microRendu

Hi

Has anyone using a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC tried a Bridge II and compared it to an Auralic Aries or microRendu?

I am using an Aries and am thinking of simplifying things so a Bridge II would get rid of:

1. Power supply

2. USB cable and fixers (with associated tweaks and power supply)

However, the price makes it more costly than a microRendu so that is under consideration although it would require another computer.

It may need optical isolation though as opposed to the Aries which I am using via wi fi.

Sound quality is most important to me.

Thanks

Hi

Has anyone using a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC tried a Bridge II and compared it to an Auralic Aries or microRendu?

I am using an Aries and am thinking of simplifying things so a Bridge II would get rid of:

1. Power supply

However, the price makes it more costly than a microRendu so that is under consideration although it would require another computer.

It may need optical isolation though as opposed to the Aries which I am using via wi fi.

Thanks

With the microRendu you could use the hard adapter or a short USB cable. We do not recommend anything else before or after the unit. People are free to experiment and they certainly do. Anyway, I'm not sure why you think you need "another computer" with the microRendu. No matter what option you go with you will need a computer on the network to manage the content and to set up things. With the microRendu you use a browser to access its configuration page. With the microRendu you could server content from a computer or a NAS and take the computer out of the equation. The microRendu can be used with any USB DAC. Just some things to consider.

Hi

1. Power supply

Thanks

Do you mean you want to compare Ethernet with USB at end point (USB DAC vs network player)?

I've tried Bridge II in PS Audio Perfect Wave, not Direct Stream DAC. The SQ its way is MUCH MUCH better than USB. PS Audio has their own reason to sell Bridge II separately, dont they?

Hi

Apologies if this comment is irrelevant, but aren't these 3 products in different "categories" (apples and oranges).

AFAIK, Bridge II requires you to have a computer (with streaming server) upstream. Same with microRendu. Whereas Auralic Aries is a streaming server on a dedicated hardware.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Not really. The Auralic Aries can be used to stream music files from (external) UPnP/DLNA media servers in exactly the same way as the Bridge II and the microRendu can.

It is true that the Aries internally runs its own UPnP/DLNA media server, the Lightning Server, which allows it to access networked shared music files (as well as music files directly from attached USB storage), without the need for a third party UPnP/DLNA media server. However, use of the Lightning Server is optional.

Incidentally the "streaming server" you are referring to is presumably the UPnP/DLNA media server application. Also the "computer upstream" can be any networked device that can run the UPnP/DLNA media server software and has access to the stored music files, so includes devices such as NASs, even some routers, so not just "computers".

We will win because our NHS is the beating heart of this country. It is the best of this country. It is unconquerable. It is powered by love.

-- Boris Johnson

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I am of the same opinion as Cebolla which is why I asked in the first place.

Duxservit, you are being pedantic. At the end of it all, most music listeners just want a device to stream or playback music files on their library and/or from a subscription service with as good a quality as possible, at as low a cost as they can afford and in the simplest way possible. I honestly do not care how it is achieved other than from an academic point of view as I am not an industry practitioner. I derive very little pleasure out of administering tweaks other than the sound improvement they provide. Ditto for futzing around with computers. They are not apples and oranges because the net result is getting music to play well.

The Aries is not a streaming server on its own. It needs an attached USB drive or NAS or computer acting as such as per Cebolla's explanation. You are correct in the sense that if you use the attached USB drive option, then you do not need a computer. However, it is encumbered by the USB fixing it requires.

The microRendu while doing away with the need for USB fixes, in my setup does need a new computer as I understand it sounds best with HQ Player and my current computer is too old to be up to task. Also, I could use it to play via LMS but because of my hardware my LMS is version 7.7.3 and can't be updated further, meaning DSD playback is troublesome. It will also need optical isolation unlike the Aries which I run on 802.11 ac .

The PS Audio Bridge II will be the neatest solution for me as I am getting a Direct Stream DAC in a few days. However, it may also need optical isolation (I don't know) and if I play it via LMS 7.7.3, DSD playback may be problematic (again I don't know because from what I understand, it upsamples everything to DSD internally anyway)

Hence my question. If the Bridge II gives as good a sound quality as or better than the others then I will get one because it is an elegant solution and frees me from the litany of fixers and their accompaniments which I am heartily sick of.

The microRendu while doing away with the need for USB fixes, in my setup does need a new computer as I understand it sounds best with HQ Player and my current computer is too old to be up to task.

That's only if you elect to use Roon. Roon sounds great on its own streaming to a microRendu. Many feel though that using HQP to stream Roon to the microRendu via NAA offers a further improvement - even when using HQP purely in pass-through mode. That's how I run it. In pass-through mode, HQP places little load on a computer.

The PS Audio Bridge II will be the neatest solution for me as I am getting a Direct Stream DAC in a few days. However, it may also need optical isolation (I don't know)

I even hear an improvement from optical isolation with the microRendu, though the improvement was larger when I was still using an Aries. So you should probably plan on eventually going with optical isolation regardless.

Hence my question. If the Bridge II gives as good a sound quality as or better than the others then I will get one because it is an elegant solution and frees me from the litany of fixers and their accompaniments which I am heartily sick of.

On paper, the Bridge II does seem to be the most elegant. Earlier this year I borrowed a Simaudio 280D with the optional MiND module thinking likewise that it would allow me to ditch the Aries plus a USB cable plus all the fixers. What I found was that the MiND was about on par with my Aries with the fixers and cables. The microRendu hadn't arrived yet, but I have no doubt that it would have offered an improvement over MiND as the microRendu easily beat the Aries plus fixers. John Swenson has done an amazing job in addressing sources of noise in the microRendu. Have the PS Audio engineers been as successful in addressing noise with the Bridge II? That remains to be seen.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC 

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha and Delta power cords, Shunyata Alpha interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD60 speaker cables, ASC isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels

I am of the same opinion as Cebolla which is why I asked in the first place.

Duxservit, you are being pedantic.

Sorry about that - your subsequent posting has revealed more details about your thinking. I believe you already know the answer you're looking for -:)

On the DS side have you considered the Sonore SSR? It's more expensive than the Bridge, but has I2S.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)