IGNORED

What's the point of ripping cds?

chilledbongo

With services like Tidal hifi now available.....and possibly even better things on the way..... just wondering what is the point of ripping old cds?

I have maybe 1,000 that I'm packing up to sell off to a used cd store, and hoping I can get 10 cents on the dollar.

Everything I own is on Tidal, and so is everything else I never got around to buying. Even if Tidal disappears,I'm sure something else would fill the void. At $20 a month, that's less than I once spent buying hardcopy music.

I'm streaming wifi through a Bluesound Node 2, Audioengine HD6 powered speakers, and a Paradigm Zpre 2 preamp. Everything sounds exactly like cds.

Before I shove the cardboard boxes full of cds out the door for the last time without ripping them, am I making a mistake here?1469888752975.jpg

Sent from my SM-T810 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I subscribe to Tidal but not everything in my collection is there. Maybe about 80%.

On rare occasions the SQ on Tidal seems a bit weird. 'Say It Right' by Nelly Furtado is one example.

But I certainly couldn't be bothered to rip 1000 CD's with EAC or similar. It would take an age.

Front End: Neet Airstream

Digital Processing: Chord Hugo M-Scaler

DAC: Chord Dave

Amplification: Cyrus Mono x300 Signatures

Speakers: Kudos Titan T88

With services like Tidal hifi now available.....and possibly even better things on the way..... just wondering what is the point of ripping old cds?

I have maybe 1,000 that I'm packing up to sell off to a used cd store, and hoping I can get 10 cents on the dollar.

Everything I own is on Tidal, and so is everything else I never got around to buying. Even if Tidal disappears,I'm sure something else would fill the void. At $20 a month, that's less than I once spent buying hardcopy music.

Off the top of my head:

- You can play CD rips without an internet connection.

- There's no monthly fee for playing CD rips.

- Streaming services often have loudness-war remasters. Your CDs may be better.

- Most of the streaming services have shaky finances. I wouldn't count on them in the long term, at least not at current price levels.

- Even if Tidal stays around, artists/labels can throw a tantrum and pull their music at any time.

it might be very sensible for you to go with Tidal, as long as you keep in mind that we don't know for sure it or any of the other services will be around long term - in other words don't get rid of your CDs and your player.

I still buy music- but mostly only high res versions of stuff I really like and know I will want to listen to repeatedly. Or music that isn't available in streaming. Other stuff, such as albums I have limited or marginal interest in - Tidal. I'm happy with the SQ: it ranges from okay to excellent, and I've had only one or two very short intervals where it wasn't available.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Listening: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Matrix Element i Streamer/DAC (XLR)+Schiit Freya>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: RPi 3B+ running RoPieee to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm streaming wifi through a Bluesound Node 2, Audioengine HD6 powered speakers, and a Paradigm Zpre 2 preamp. Everything sounds exactly like cds.

Before I shove the cardboard boxes full of cds out the door for the last time without ripping them, am I making a mistake here?

Not sure if you would be making a mistake or not but I think many of us are in the same boat. I've chosen to rip and store my CDs. Rarely do these CDs see the light of day and because my listening habits have changed greatly since subscribing to TIDAL, my own library seems to get accessed less and less these days. Unlike you, I have some recordings not found on TIDAL (including a smattering of high-res) and I will continue to purchase CDs or downloads when a "must have" isn't available for streaming. Should you sell? Maybe.

BTW, not sure if you realize your Node 2 isn't compatible with Roon at this point and my never be. Love my Node 2.

BTW, not sure if you realize your Node 2 isn't compatible with Roon at this point and my never be. Love my Node 2.

Thanks. I wasn't sure about Roon, but I was drawn to the Tidal integration. Do you use a software player with your node 2?

I've had JRIVER in the past, but it really slowed down my laptop. But I might try it again. I think it has an android app now which I would prefer to use on my Samsung tablet.

Re cds, there are probably a few that are not on Tidal, but there is so much else that I haven't heard on there, that I really don't care. I hate having stuff lying around that I don't use.

Before I shove the cardboard boxes full of cds out the door for the last time without ripping them, am I making a mistake here?[ATTACH]28089[/ATTACH]

Please clarify your use of the term "CD".

Are you referring to RBCD or multi-channel SA-CD?

I was fortunate enough to sell my large CD collection a few years ago when it was actually worth something. I think I made an average of around £4-5 back a disc. Pretty good by today's prices. I copied ALL the CD's I sold and also ripped them to 320kbs MP3 before selling. And you know what? I have NEVER bothered dragging the copy CD's out of storage. I could actually dispose of them, and never miss them.

And the reason I sold all my CD's all those years ago? I discovered SACD, and after listening to SACD, I just couldn't listen to normal RBCD ever again.

My SACD and Vinyl collections will go to the grave with me.

For everything else, I've got Qobuz :-)

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Explain....what comes across Tidal hifi is cd quality....I'm thinking about installing Roon for some added eq options,plus its other benefits in metadata

Does Tidal give you information which mastering they stream for a certain album, if several exist? Even if they did, what if they only stream an inferior mastering and the good one is only available on CD?

Thanks. I wasn't sure about Roon, but I was drawn to the Tidal integration. Do you use a software player with your node 2?

I've had JRIVER in the past, but it really slowed down my laptop. But I might try it again. I think it has an android app now which I would prefer to use on my Samsung tablet.

Re cds, there are probably a few that are not on Tidal, but there is so much else that I haven't heard on there, that I really don't care. I hate having stuff lying around that I don't use.

Nope .. I simply use BluOS and am very happy with the sound quality. I own a license for all of the major players and retired all of them. I love the simplicity of a device like the Node 2. I've pair it with a Bifrost Multibit and Wyred 4 Sound Remedy for now. It equals, if not betters, my Mac mini. Love the simplicity.

I ripped all my CDs to FLAC w/ dbPowerAmp, discarded the jewel cases and put the CDs and slip covers in archival sleeves and storage boxes. They don't take up much room now and in the near-future dystopia I have the physical media just in case the RIAA SWAT Team kicks in my front door and demands proof that I didn't just download all my music from the Darkweb™. Besides, if Tidal or my ISP takes a dump, I still have plenty of music to listen to while I wait for them to get things fixed.

I think how you feel about ripped CDs may be dependent on

the kind of results you've had doing so. Had I never used

EAC (& eventually dBPoweramp) as my rip utility I might also

be inclined to regard rips as nothing more than mediocrity.

High quality rips played from a drive through a good DAC in

my experience doesn't bear a lot of resemblance to what is

heard from the RBCD it is sourced from. When I first started ripping the CD layer on SACDs I always worried that I was leaving some resolution "On the table". I stopped obsessing

about this when I realized I much preferred the sound of the

ripped layer (played back through my Auraliti) to the sound of

the DSD SACD. I might think differently if my SACD player/s

had DACs that were as detailed sounding as my Metrum Hex,but I have a lot of nice sounding discs (Hyperion,Decca,

EMI ,early DELOS,Lyrita, etc.) that sound every bit a good as most SACDs for the music I listen to

If tidal went broke, then?

I'm sure another streaming service doing hi-res would take its place. There are already other options such as Qobuz (sp?) It's just become the nature of the musical listening environment today.

I dumped all my vinyl years ago, too, and I can't say I'm tempted to get back into it, despite the hipster affair with it these days.

I have a feeling that kids born around 2010 will discover cds as really cool and retro about 10 years from now....

I suppose archiving your old cds is like scrapbook ingredients your old photographs instead of transferring them to the cloud or a DVD?

The jewel cases are still a place I put all my concert tickets from the band/artist I went to see. I'll always buy the CD of my favorite artist. I use Roon/Tidal, also J.river.

PC/NAS/JRiver/Roon - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - KEF LS50 Nocturne - Rel 328 subwoofer - PS Audio AC5 Power cables 

To the list others have provided, here is why I ripped everything to WAV, but still keep the disks:

(1) Wav rips with dbpoweramp do sound better than tidal FLAC at same resolution. Tidal sounds really good, but the WAV files of the same song sound better in my systems.

(2) portability without the cost of or dependence upon a reasonable internet connection. ((i) I take a good chunk of my library on the road with me everyday on a Fiios X5. (ii) I also have a cottage in the woods that has no internet option better than a shared T1. Its often inaccessible completely. Keep a copy of my library on a NAS there. (iii) Headless car audio with 320 mp3 sounds pretty good).

* There are services that will rip your cd's for a little over a buck a piece. I found this out after previous NAS drive crashed. I now keep about 5 copies of the library - 2 of which sit on NAS in RAID configuration.

You

(3)

(

btw, i would add that I've been BUYING CD's, not selling. redbook ripped with dbpoweramp sounds pretty good to my ears, using the right equipment. To your point of why bother selling them for a buck or two, why not BUY them for 3 or 4? You can buy 4-5 times much music as downloading from HDtracks.

The jewel cases may indeed have to go -

Oh boy, haven't you guys heard of EMP weapons? Solar flares? Russian hackers?

Physical media is nothing more than a back up file....you do have back up files don't you?

After the end of times I expect to be in my bunker with my 4 copies of "Kind of Blue"

lets see, 33RPM Vinyl, 45RPM Vinyl. CD, SACD. The beat goes on.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Oh boy, haven't you guys heard of EMP weapons? Solar flares? Russian hackers?

Physical media is nothing more than a back up file....you do have back up files don't you?

After the end of times I expect to be in my bunker with my 4 copies of "Kind of Blue"

lets see, 33RPM Vinyl, 45RPM Vinyl. CD, SACD. The beat goes on.

Very good point.

I found this site on how audiophiles can make preparations for the end of civilization:

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull