IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: NanoPi Neo, The $7.99 High Resolution Audio Endpoint

Let me know if you need help. I'll walk you through it.

Weirdly, when I load NOOBS onto the micro SD card and then power up the Pi, I go to the terminal and type in "arp -a" to look for the IP address, and it doesn't come up. Additionally, when I plug the USB cable into the pi and the router, the light isn't flashing. That makes me suspect the OS isn't booting up. Suggestions?

Thx

Weirdly, when I load NOOBS onto the micro SD card and then power up the Pi, I go to the terminal and type in "arp -a" to look for the IP address, and it doesn't come up. Additionally, when I plug the USB cable into the pi and the router, the light isn't flashing. That makes me suspect the OS isn't booting up. Suggestions?

Although the board is called a 'NanoPi' it isn't actually a member of the Raspberry Pi family, and so I wouldn't expect the version of Linux in NOOBS to work as that is Raspberry Pi specific. I think you need to download an image created for the NanoPi and copy that onto the SD card to get it to boot.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Although the board is called a 'NanoPi' it isn't actually a member of the Raspberry Pi family, and so I wouldn't expect the version of Linux in NOOBS to work as that is Raspberry Pi specific. I think you need to download an image created for the NanoPi and copy that onto the SD card to get it to boot.

Exactly.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Ok gotcha. I'm trying to do both at the same time so it's easy to get mixed up. Thanks!

Hi,

My Nano Pi should arrive soon and I don't want to be locked into another paid service.

Does anyone know if there is another audio end point package available than Roon Bridge. Some DLNA media renderer would be great that could handle PCM 24/96 as a minimum and DSD optional to be send to my ifi iDSD-micro. Thanks

Hi,

My Nano Pi should arrive soon and I don't want to be locked into another paid service.

Does anyone know if there is another audio end point package available than Roon Bridge. Some DLNA media renderer would be great that could handle PCM 24/96 as a minimum and DSD optional to be send to my ifi iDSD-micro. Thanks

Check out upmpdcli - https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/

Or, you can try to install JRiver Media Center on the NanoPi Neo. I know it works on the regular Pi as a UPnP/DLNA renderer.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I use to be snobbish about audio products. Pay more, get better audio. While that's true to a point, I totally ignore the fact that a lot of good products can be had for very little money. And what drove me to that conclusion is the fact that I will never be able to afford a majority of those items that I've lusted after most of my life.

Having said that, I somewhat recently discovered the huge earbud market in China as marketed by sites like Ali Express and Penon Audio, among others. Granted, it does come across like a Frankenstein-like assembly business using old parts from past products from many well-known manufacturers but there are some really crazy headphone creations that deserve to be looked at if you're looking to save a few bucks. I can't say how they would stack up against the established players in the audiophile industry but I think you would be surprised by what you find.

Sources: iPad Air 3, iPhone 8+, Asus Chromebook C201-PA

DAC/AMP: Hidisz S8, Astell & Kern XB10 Bluetooth module

IEM's: Fiio FA1, Hidisz Seeds, Fiio FH1S, Shouer H27, BGVP KC2, KZ ZS10 Pro's, (and several lesser iem's and earbuds)

Accesories: Various MMCX and 2-pin cables.

-----------------------------------------

Professional pianist, composer - master improvisationist.

is there an image flasher for the nanopi like Piwriter for rasp? I'm having weird difficulty getting the OS on the sd card using the terminal on Mac.

Ok, I used the flash writer you recommended. The OS is now officially on the SD card. Next step, I put the SD card on the NanoPi, plugged the ethernet into the back of my time capsule, and powered on. Went to terminal, typed in "arp -a" and cannot find the Pi's IP address. I have tried plugging the ethernet directly into the back of the modem and have WPN'd a wireless dongle to the NanoPi, to no avail. Does this ethernet cable absolutely -have- to go to a router? My system uses the TimeCapsule as a router. I guess I could order one but I feel like I'm missing something.

Ok, I used the flash writer you recommended. The OS is now officially on the SD card. Next step, I put the SD card on the NanoPi, plugged the ethernet into the back of my time capsule, and powered on. Went to terminal, typed in "arp -a" and cannot find the Pi's IP address. I have tried plugging the ethernet directly into the back of the modem and have WPN'd a wireless dongle to the NanoPi, to no avail. Does this ethernet cable absolutely -have- to go to a router? My system uses the TimeCapsule as a router. I guess I could order one but I feel like I'm missing something.

Is the modem running a DHCP server and assigning IPs? If not then the Pi won't get an IP assigned.

If the router is assigning IPs then yes connect to it. Not necessarily direct... I've connected everything to a network switch... sort of a separate local network, but the switch is connected to the router. Not sure how the TimeCapsule is different, but there must be a way to connect the Pi to it via ethernet and also it must be running DHCP.

Once plugged into a router or local LAN via ethernet and then assigned a permanent IP (recommended via router DHCP) you can unplug and use via WiFi.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Is the modem running a DHCP server and assigning IPs? If not then the Pi won't get an IP assigned.

If the router is assigning IPs then yes connect to it. Not necessarily direct... I've connected everything to a network switch... sort of a separate local network, but the switch is connected to the router. Not sure how the TimeCapsule is different, but there must be a way to connect the Pi to it via ethernet and also it must be running DHCP.

Once plugged into a router or local LAN via ethernet and then assigned a permanent IP (recommended via router DHCP) you can unplug and use via WiFi.

OK great I'll try that tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
Check out upmpdcli - https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/

Or, you can try to install JRiver Media Center on the NanoPi Neo. I know it works on the regular Pi as a UPnP/DLNA renderer.

There are several distributions using upmpdcli and mpd. Currently the best and most actively supported one is Moode (moodeaudio.org). There is also an active discussion forum in the CA forums.

With Moode, you get various options to stream to your HiFi system, it costs nothing, and it's easy to control either from the web interface, BubbleUpnp on phone or tablet, or even via Airplay.

/promo

There are several distributions using upmpdcli and mpd. Currently the best and most actively supported one is Moode (moodeaudio.org). There is also an active discussion forum in the CA forums.

With Moode, you get various options to stream to your HiFi system, it costs nothing, and it's easy to control either from the web interface, BubbleUpnp on phone or tablet, or even via Airplay.

/promo

Does any distribution work with the Nano Pi Neo?

I finally got a Nanopi Neo with ethernet and USB, was able to get the OS on the micro sd card and got the neo onto the router and assigned an IP address. When I attempt to SSH into the board, I get this message:

IMG_2624_zpsgmhwcbvn.jpg

Can anyone help?

Thanks

The file that contains your ECDSA key needs to be blown away; then next time you want to SSH in a new key will be made. Can't remember the command to get rid of the old file/key off the top of my head (perhaps someone here knows and will help); Google should be your friend with this.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hi @matthewpartrick - Jud is correct. You can resolve this error easily by deleting your known_hosts file. Here are the commands.

Open Terminal

type -> cd /Users/matthewpartrick/.ssh and hit enter

type -> ls and hit enter. This command should show you the files in the ssh directory. It should have at least one file named known_hosts

type -> rm *

this will remove the files. It will get recreated automatically when connecting to an ssh device.

Hi @matthewpartrick - Jud is correct. You can resolve this error easily by deleting your known_hosts file. Here are the commands.

Open Terminal

type -> cd /Users/matthewpartrick/.ssh and hit enter

type -> ls and hit enter. This command should show you the files in the ssh directory. It should have at least one file named known_hosts

type -> rm *

this will remove the files. It will get recreated automatically when connecting to an ssh device.

Thx so much I'll give that a try.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...