IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

34 minutes ago, Holzohr said:

I replaced my Matrix Audio Element H USB PCIe card by a cheap Asmedia 3142 card today and to my surprise the playback of 1411.2 and 1536 kHz PCM is possible with my Spring 2 DAC. Afaik the JCAT USB XE comes with the same controller. 

Why not just use the Intel controller built to the motherboard?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

3 minutes ago, Miska said:

Why not just use the Intel controller built to the motherboard?

I don't have a Gigabyte board with DAC-UP USB ports. 🙂 

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

bedroom: pi3/DigiOne (RoPieee) --> S.M.S.L M500 --> KRK Rokit 5 or AKG 712 Pro

On 3/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, Bimmer100 said:

serene will be totl or flagship preamp/headamp. Same form factor as spring/spring2/May dac chassis and designed to pair perfectly with these products. It will be an absolutely epic preamp/headamp with tech similar to azure yet many improvements of course. 

Are you able to confirm if the serene will include a headphone amp? Your msg said it will, but the unit that WolfX received to measure didn't seem to have any headphone outs (but did have all 8 modules as in the azure).

Hoping it will have a headphone amp! So excited to get one.

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

40 minutes ago, GoldenOne said:

Are you able to confirm if the serene will include a headphone amp? Your msg said it will, but the unit that WolfX received to measure didn't seem to have any headphone outs (but did have all 8 modules as in the azure).

Hoping it will have a headphone amp! So excited to get one.

There will be two versions. One is preamp serene, the other will be headamp serene.

there is too much to put both into one chassis. The headamp version is not ready yet.

Tim Connor

KitsuneHifi.com / HoloAudio USA

1 hour ago, Bimmer100 said:

There will be two versions. One is preamp serene, the other will be headamp serene.

there is too much to put both into one chassis. The headamp version is not ready yet.

Ooh interesting. 
Does that mean that the headamp version won't additionally function as a preamp?

Also, are you able to give any information as to pricing? My wallet is trembling but I am so ready!

(Also goodness, a quadruple holo-audio stack would look fantastic)

https://youtube.com/goldensound

Roon -> HQPlayer -> SMS200 Ultra/SPS500 -> Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) -> Holo Audio Serene (Wildism Edition) -> Benchmark AHB2 -> Hifiman Susvara

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 6:29 PM, Holzohr said:

Quoting @shahed99 another time (hope he is still around). Thanks to @StreamFidelity I can test the JCAT USB XE in my system for a couple of days. So as expected after using a cheap Asmedia 3142 USB card with my Spring 2, PCM 1411.2 and 1536 khz are neither a problem with the JCAT USB XE. Tested with HQPlayer OS.

Great to hear - thank you for reporting this :)

Regards, 
Marcin

JPLAY & JCAT Founder

On 2/25/2021 at 12:29 PM, Holzohr said:

Quoting @shahed99 another time (hope he is still around). Thanks to @StreamFidelity I can test the JCAT USB XE in my system for a couple of days. So as expected after using a cheap Asmedia 3142 USB card with my Spring 2, PCM 1411.2 and 1536 khz are neither a problem with the JCAT USB XE. Tested with HQPlayer OS.

Thank you @Holzohr for the update. I think your success of upsampling PCM 1.5Mhz may be attributed to HQP OS or Linux variant. I was able to upsample PCM 1.5M to my Holo DAC (using old version of JCAT USB card) when I use Gentoo as OS. However, 1.5M upsample doesn't work when I use Windows OS. My server uses AMD mobo in both scenarios FYI. Holo apparently recommends Windows for best performance given their ASIO driver.

8 hours ago, shahed99 said:

Thank you @Holzohr for the update. I think your success of upsampling PCM 1.5Mhz may be attributed to HQP OS or Linux variant. I was able to upsample PCM 1.5M to my Holo DAC (using old version of JCAT USB card) when I use Gentoo as OS. However, 1.5M upsample doesn't work when I use Windows OS. My server uses AMD mobo in both scenarios FYI. Holo apparently recommends Windows for best performance given their ASIO driver.

Hi @shahed99, interesting that it has worked with the Femto card and Gentoo. Well @Marcin_gps, I have to update/correct myself. I had kind of 'hiss' with PCM 1536 khz and HQPlayer OS. I don't remember that with Windows but it seems I could solve this in my case. Changing DAC bits from 20 to 16 in the HQPe settings fixed it. According to @Miska the 16 bits doesn't matter using a noise shaper as LN15.

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon or Stylus) --> Euphony EP (NUC7CJYH: Roon Bridge or NAA or StylusEP) --> Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (I2S) -->

Euphony (NUC7DNKE: Roon) --> WS 2019 Core (i7-8700: HQPlayer, JPLAY Femto, Roon Bridge, MinorityClean) / Matrix Audio Element H --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (USB) --> B & M Prime 6

Synology DS 112+ (LMS) --> pi3B+/HifiBerry Digi + Pro (PiCorePlayer) --> Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro (MQA) (SPDIF) -->  

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2021 at 1:03 PM, Holzohr said:

I replaced my Matrix Audio Element H USB PCIe card by a cheap Asmedia 3142 card today and to my surprise the playback of 1411.2 and 1536 kHz PCM is possible with my Spring 2 DAC. Afaik the JCAT USB XE comes with the same controller. 

Do you happen to a link to the card that works for you? My AMD/Asrock 3.1 Gen2 USB MB ports won't even stay sync'd with May but every crappy laptop I have will. Ha, I didn't realize that was a hyperlink, thanks. I'll try one.

• 2 weeks later...

From Tim C:

Current Spring 3 Details;
Price:
Level 1 $1998
Level 2 $2298
KTE      $2798
All Models have optional Pre-Amp module for an additional $500. This is a fully balanced, discrete design.
    The module can be easily installed at a later date if you change your mind.

Trickle down technology from the May DAC.
Exclusive to the Spring 3 KTE model; The enhanced USB module found in the MAY DAC, which includes Titanus 2.0 FPGA circuit.

Additional details to be disclosed on the launch date. Estimated for late-April to mid-May 2021.

CJH

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 1:29 PM, CJH said:

From Tim C:

Current Spring 3 Details;
Price:
Level 1 $1998
Level 2 $2298
KTE      $2798
All Models have optional Pre-Amp module for an additional $500. This is a fully balanced, discrete design.
    The module can be easily installed at a later date if you change your mind.

Trickle down technology from the May DAC.
Exclusive to the Spring 3 KTE model; The enhanced USB module found in the MAY DAC, which includes Titanus 2.0 FPGA circuit.

Additional details to be disclosed on the launch date. Estimated for late-April to mid-May 2021.

CJH

Might be the replacement one for me. Or a Denafrips Pontus or one of the forthcoming (I guess ;-)  ) second hand Spring 2 L2 or T+A DSD8. Hopefully my Mini M1 will handle PCM 1.5 from any PCM rate and 7EC/256 from 64. At those outputs, how would you rate S2, SKTE vs S2L2, May, Pontus, T+A on a 10/10 scale ? 

HQ Player 4 Mac Mini M1

• 2 weeks later...

I am wondering about the new Spring 3 KTE or Spring 2 KTE vs May level 1 the cost  difference is approximately $1000.00. I wonder if sound quality of the MAY Level 1 would be that much better. I have never seen a review of the MAY Level 1 or Level 2, or for that matter a Spring Level 1 or Level 2. It would be interesting to get an opinion of the sonic changes as you go up the line. 

3 minutes ago, cjmv50 said:

I am wondering about the new Spring 3 KTE or Spring 2 KTE vs May level 1 the cost  difference is approximately $1000.00. I wonder if sound quality of the MAY Level 1 would be that much better. I have never seen a review of the MAY Level 1 or Level 2, or for that matter a Spring Level 1 or Level 2. It would be interesting to get an opinion of the sonic changes as you go up the line. 

I can't speak for the Spring 2 or 3 KTE.  I had the Spring 1 KTE v2 with the updated USB.  I just received the May yesterday and good God, out of the box it's remarkable.  I also have a Chord Hugo TT2, and I've had a DAVE in house to compare.  The May is just outstanding.  The soundstage width, height and depth is huge by comparison.  I say huge and by that I mean the sound envelops you.  There is clarity, definition and most importantly realism to the instruments that I've not heard with these other dacs.  I'm excited to hear how it sounds after burn in.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, 

PLEASE HELP !!!!! 

I have a Spring v1 Kitsune and decided today to upgrade it with the USB module XU208 XMOS.

Since then, it's not working anymore, the only thing I'm getting from the speakers is a loud white noise/jittery sound 😭🥶

I tried updating the firmware with holo_gen2_3012 or holo_gen2_3014, same issue...

I've done the same upgrade a couple months back.  No issues, but I seem to remember that I also updated the driver (Windows) to V5.0.0   You may be using Linux, so that's irrelevant.  I'd certainly restart the server, NAA or whatever machine the USB is getting it's music from.

53 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I've done the same upgrade a couple months back.  No issues, but I seem to remember that I also updated the driver (Windows) to V5.0.0   You may be using Linux, so that's irrelevant.  I'd certainly restart the server, NAA or whatever machine the USB is getting it's music from.

I have unfortunately tried with 2 different sources (Raspberry and Windows laptop), same issue 😒

• 1 month later...