IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

Doesn't the new Lampizator ladder DAC configuration also do both PCM and DSD? Doesn't the totaldac?

In the end, it depends on how good the actual R2R implementation is - just becuase its R2R.

Sort of hard for me to believe it can be that great at a fraction of the price of it's ladder DAC competitors. It will be interesting to see what people/reviewers say about it once they hear it.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for jumping into this thread. I had to since I didn't realize some of these emails made it onto the thread before I was able to update my site. (kitsunehifi)

But we will have most of them sold within the week the way things are looking. But i've been asked by one to do a review. I have my personal Level 3 Spring Dac that i'm happy to loan out and have a proper review done. I"m actually quite excited for what may be said about it!

I'm a NOS guy, so this particular Dac is the holy grail for me personally. I'll be comparing it to my NOS11 (audio-gd) and also my dual Soekris Dam1021.

What would be most interesting is to hear it compared to R2R audiophile favorites like Total DAC and Metrum; or the R2R and DSD playback in Lampizator. Or a current favorite here, the T+A DAC8DSD, which does non-chip 1 bit conversion of DSD.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

You really need to get some of these DACs out for review.

Get some reviews stating that the DAC punches well above it's price point and you will get lots of orders. Many people want a better DAC but are put off by the Mega prices so common today.

• 1 month later...

This is an interesting item that sounds like the proverbial "giant killer". I would assume part of the quality of the result will be dependent on the quality of the analog output stage, and we haven't been told a lot about that.

The new Lampizator Atlantic uses R2R and has separate PCM and DSD paths. It's being sold as a "value" item, but starts at about $4400.

Ted, you're an experienced DAC listener. I hope in your review you are willing to make some sonic comparisons to DACs like the Mytek, PS Audio, and Exasound. Maybe not direct comparisons "this is better"; but at least an idea what league this one plays in and some idea of its "character" relative to other known DACs. For instance I always want to ask reviewers "Which other DACs could you happily part with if you knew this one was replacing it? And which not?"