IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

• 2 months later...
wow, i apologize for my poor spelling- typing long replies on my iphone is a bad idea. terrible auto correct or lack there of...

anyhow... i wanted to add... jeff zhu is designing a DSD only r2r dac module for those who love their hq player and want to do dsd native. it will not support any pcm. it will be an example that we indeed can do true native/direct dad over a r2r network. the price point that everyone will find quite fair. you wont have to spend thousands to experience an r2r direct native dsd dac with no pcm conversion like people assume. we find this will be an entry level product yet high performance dsd dac for those who need to see and experience dsd direct over an r2r network. For those who do not know... our company motto is "time will tell..." and we believe over time we will earn the trust and respect from our customers and they will see the prodicts we offwr are indeed excellent audio products that hold up to their claims and far surpass other products on the market with ease. we are building our brand image in the usa and open to suggestions and value our customer feedback.

Jeff is hard at work on this and any new updates will be posted as i hear about them. will it be as good as the spring dac? no, but it will be stellar performance that you can expect from holo audio.

If this DAC could (optional?) use a 5 or 7 VDC at max 1,1A, would be great.

Can use an iFi power, and ideally the LPS-1.

XLR as well I hope?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

@Bimmer100

What is the power consuption on the DSD version ?

What DC valtage is needed, if I should like to use my own DC, and what is min ampere requirement  ?

Only in black ? No silver version ? (Or a DC version)

Can you explain difference between Spring vs Cyan when we only talk DSD ?

Is the Cyan a true balanced DAC ?

@Bimmer100

Can you explain difference between Spring vs Cyan when we only talk DSD ?

It’s the same ladder board, or ? And I would assume more or less same ps. 

So if I only like to use DSD, with a preamp, what will the Spring offer me that the Cyan does not have ?

Is that linear compensation a component used for DSD ? 

28 bit vs 24 bit I suppose, but that 4 bits extra is only related to the digital volume control ?

(Which I won’t use, as I have a very good pre). 

I hope you find time to answer. 

3 hours ago, jcn3 said:

they are outputs for headphones -- only available on the pcm version.

I hope you’re totally wrong, as my pre has XLR in on the analog input. And I expect the Cyan to be true balanced, since this option is offered. 

It’s a DAC, so it must have analog out.  It no volume control in the analog domain. 

I’m hope I’m right, or have I missed the whole point with what the purpose of a DAC is ?

On 28.11.2017 at 6:52 PM, Bimmer100 said:

How does this compare with the Spring dac?"   well.... the Spring dac is still on another level considering the Spring dac has Linear compensation and the Discrete dac module also has dedicated DSD r2r ladder dacs and dedicated PCM r2r ladder dacs. However it will be very hard to find another product that compares with the Cyan @ it's current entry price point!

Just to ask once again. Do I get a DSD r2r ladder DAC when ordering the DSD version or not ?

I have a hard problem understanding the difference between Spring and Cyan if you only need one of the features of the Spring. And you don’t need a volume control. 

And I don’t know if that Linear compensation module is only used for PCM or both PCM and DSD ?

I do understand it’s only available in the Spring. 

31 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I hope you’re totally wrong, as my pre has XLR in on the analog input. And I expect the Cyan to be true balanced, since this option is offered. 

It’s a DAC, so it must have analog out.  It no volume control in the analog domain. 

I’m hope I’m right, or have I missed the whole point with what the purpose of a DAC is ?

Sorry. I now see you asked ably the front XLR. To late to delete the post. 

On 29.11.2017 at 10:27 AM, Bimmer100 said:

The Cyan will have the SRC or Sample Rate Convertor to allow for other formats as well as oversampling options.

Is the SCR used for both versions ?

Other formats ??? It’ Either PCM input or DSD input. What other formats?

Oversampling options ??? What options that isn’t offered by HQPlayer of Roon in DSD mode. I don’t get it. 

The Spring does not have SCR, so why the Cyan. This is confusing. 

Can anyone explain to me ?

On 28.11.2017 at 10:34 PM, GUTB said:

SUPER PUMPED GUYS!!

Linear compensation is a technique for compensating for low-cost transistor modules for PCM processing, DSD is 1-bit so who cares?? Totally pure DSD DAC can't wait!

Sure ?

So actually the Spring is DSD mode isn’t using that technique ? Hope Tim can confirm. 

Another person was missing the digital volume control on the Spring where I thaught it was needed, and not so important on the Cyan. And normally your player would have that function anyway, but maybe implemented in the DAC, it works better. Well that function and a remote must also add cost. As will the none used head amp out in front as well as the none used volume knob.  Not  easy to pleas everybody....

Tim expects 80 % PCM. I would say opposite, but what do I know ?

My reason for interest in this product is that I have a very god PCM DAC with a very good pre stage. I heard so much nice about DSD upsamling. This product almost seems to solve it. 

Only need NOS. No volume. No remote. Only a (ugly) box to hide away. Pure DSD DAC. 

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

By definition I2S is PCM.  But it could have a DSD over LVDS (w/HDMI jack) input...

Another clarification for @Bimmer100 to do. 

I wonder how easy it is to have the pure DSD stream in from HQPlayer or Roon as ethernet interface maybe with RAAT ?

Can that be the ultimate solution ?

• 1 year later...
On 6/27/2019 at 11:20 PM, drjimwillie said:

Has anyone tried or read about the new Singxer SU-6 with their Holo Spring?

I would also be very interested to understand how much better (if possible to hear) the SU-6 is over a modified SU-1. 

SU-6 draw more Vbus power than SU-1, (150 to 200mA) in case someone needs to know.

I wish there was a switch for removing Vbus power, and another DC interface for 5V Vbus only. To anything that uses Vbus power. A cheap modification to most DAC’s, that may lift the SQ quite a bit. 

Also the website states there is a supercap in use.  So 3A is needed. Have there been some cooperation with Uptone and some LPS-1.2 technology implementation ?

Can the supercap be bypassed, and hence allow for the use of the LPS-1.2 ?

Since we know how important the power supply is, I’m skeptical to purchase any item that doesn’t allow me to use LPS-1.2 as power source. (If current draw allows).  

Maybe the SU-6 needs it’s own thread ?