IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

? Just like the T+A (which you haven't yet heard in native DSD) the Holo plays native DSD fine via Windows ASIO, whether NAA or not. The jury is out until Amanero allows for microRendu native DSD. Only then we can see if its dac-related or microRendu related or Linux in general (although as Eric says, it can be done). But my bet is it is not Holo, as others non-Holo users report the same pops. As I said, it is no real issue anymore with me cuz I am disciplined with the muting and am primarily letting HQplayer run in DSD512 ad nauseum.

My take is that this is really the DAC's job, the problem is that a DSD "stream" with no data causes the output to go to one of the power rails, creating the loud pop, in PCM no data causes the output to go to ground. This is such an inherent issue that the DAC should take care of it.

A DAC NOT taking care of this is like wiring your house with 20 gauge wire and not having any circuit breakers and just saying "its up to the user to make sure they don't plug in a heavy load"

The problem is that if a DAC doesn't deal with this properly ANY interruption of the data causes the POP. When the driver connects to a DAC it either has to start IMMEDIATELY playing music, or fake out the DAC by providing its own fake DSD stream with alternating ones and zeros so the output stays at ground until the OS starts delivering music.

I personally don't think the drivers should have to do this, I think it is very remiss of manufacturers to sell DACs that will blow up your speakers if you don't use just exactly the right drivers, software has bugs, drivers break when OS's change, that is a fact of life, DACs should take that into account.

John S.