IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

Here it is from the horse's mouth: "So, now you should know, DSD native is just about the way it transfers the stream. Not describing the way it does digital to analog conversion. At the DAC stage, the DSD stream can convert to PCM then do the final digital to analog conversion. Actually, most DAC chips do this inside the chip. One point needs to be remembered, DSD streams can’t do volume attenuation. If this chip can do digital volume control under DSD mode, then is must converted to PCM already."

Some DAC chips have two modes for DSD, one with volume control via PCM conversion and a direct mode without. The bit you quoted only states that various options exist without detailing what this particular DAC does.

*sigh*. Just installed "Ubuntu Server 16.04.1 LTS", which I understand is "xenial". Installation went fine but system boots to black screen (again); hmm. Anyway, i installed openssh_server, so i am ssh-d into the machine, installed the xenial version of networkaudiod_3.4.2-33_amd64.deb.

So far, so good. But when i use my other PC to look for the NAA, the NAA dumps core with "illegal instruction", which suggests some incompatibility between Jussi's binary and the server I installed.

$ /usr/sbin/networkaudiod

[/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (2965): networkaudiod Copyright © 2011-2016 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.

[/usr/sbin/networkaudiod] (2965): asoundlib version: 1.1.0

Illegal instruction (core dumped)

$ uname -a

Linux foxtrot 4.4.0-31-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jul 13 00:07:12 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

help!

Is this an old computer? Illegal instruction can mean the program tried to use AVX or some other recent extension on a CPU that doesn't support it.

• 2 years later...