IGNORED

HOLO Audio Spring DAC - R2R DSD512

So way up this page there designer was quoted as saying DSD512 was off because there's no native content and Sony has given up on the standard in favour of DXD, and even then it's still looking sketchy.

But what people are doing now is running HQPlayer's upsampling engine and just converting anything to DSD512. Having that feature along with the rest makes this DAC attractive.

Is there anyone that could contact the DAC designer and explain that use case, how it's really gaining steam, and try to have it implemented?

Sent from my SM-N9200 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

This dac does NOT do DSD512. From Jeff Zhu, the designer:

By now, Spring can't support DSD512. You might see some picture shows DSD512 but it's not supported by now. I was planned to support that, but it seems have no music source at all even the test file. Sony has

stopped DSD and turn to DXD now. So DSD256 might be the end of DSD. However, DSD512 is not so hard. If it is really needed, I can put it into 'May'. Spring can support DSD512 by upgrading the firmware also, but it must return

to factory. I'm afraid it will bring some troubles for dealing this matter.

Best Regards

Jeff Zhu

That's what I was referring to about DSD looking sketchy. I meant Jeff's view of its longevity or whatever.

I also didn't know that May wasn't the month of May and that this was just a recently past response, but that actually 'May' is the name of a new DAC he's building. My guess is that May DAC is higher end?

Thanks for the 2 responses, guys. I'd be happy to hear DSD 512 was available on a cheaper model from Jeff, though yes, I know the iFi DAC exists for the truely price conscious.

I'm still asking Jeff about DSD512.

Thanks, I hope it's a real possibility for the Spring DAC vs. something he'd like to do but can't manage due to constraints.

MAY won't be released til sometime next year. The ONE thing i'm able to share with you on MAY is that there is no limit to the cost of the BOM. it will be considered very high end gear that will be able to keep up with the best of them. As if the spring didn't already do fairly well considering it's price point!

Ok, so there still a bit I'd a wait for the May DAC. That will fit in with my timeline of when I expect to be able to fit a new DAC in my chain.

The second part of that sentence isn't a plus, though. There are more than enough esoteric DACs out there and none of them are something I'd be willing to swing. If it's ~$4k USD or less, that's possible, but going over that immediately takes it out of contention for my next purchase. Diminishing returns have long set in by then, after that I'll just be happy with one of the many other DACs in that price range or I'll spend a lot more money and buy something more useful or more memorable.

I can see wanting to make a statement DAC or to get your name out there, but I don't think the final returns would be high. Given how crowded the esoteric range already is with brands that have already proven themselves as sure bets for sonic returns AND for holding resale value, I hope that Jeff aims for the market that's more accessible and that can gain some traction for his company.

/end blurb

• 2 months later...

I wonder about the DSD512 implementation.

I'm not talking down and I think there's no way anyone can reasonably say no, but what I wonder is whether the 5-7 day turn around on making the DAC become native DSD512 compatible was optimal. Because before that it was relayed that the owner/designer didn't see a need for 512, then after some pushing it becomes available in 5 days.

I get that he was almost certainly working on it and checking it out before that.

What I'm saying is that I wonder whether it's optimised well enough and if there couldn't be some more time put in on it to refine it?

I'm hoping there're some revisions and updates to its DSD512 capability. Right now this is the most interesting DAC in the $2000-4000USD range and I hope it gets even better with some firmware revisions, like it already has.

The Spring dac was originally designed and intended to have DSD512 from the beginning. Yet due to drivers and cost of getting signed drivers, the DSD512 was put on the back burner until Ted actually stirred up some interest again to get back to finishing the DSD512 release. So the hardware is more than capable of doing DSD512. It was simply enabling it in the firmware to allow for it. But we were hesitant to use evaluation drivers to allow for the use of it. And the cost for signed drivers that all well over 2grand a year! But we did it anyways so that we could offer the full DSD512 native via windows 7/8 and 10! and with the microrendu in linux. My personal opinion, it sounds best in windows.

Thanks for the background on that, Tim. That's definitely reassuring, but strange to hear about its initial target, but then the change of course.

Regarding the evaluation driver, you really feel there's a difference in the execution of each drivers in how Windows handles the DSD512 with it? Great... Now I get to wonder about driver hot-rodding...

Well, I can only hope for more improvements none the less, as seems to be the trend on higher end DACs nowadays. Continued support and firmware/driver refinement over time.

• 3 months later...