IGNORED

Was Journey, Foreigner, etc Bad?

Yesterday on the interweb, I happened upon a live video of Foreigner from a 1985 concert, and was absolutely floored by their phenomenal performance. When it ended, my first thought was "they don't make them like that anymore" (these days, "vocalists" lip-sync on stage and use pitch correction in the studio. Lou Gramm? Not so much.). My second thought was an old memory of being lifted up by my underwear because I liked Foreigner.

Arena Rock, Commercial Rock, Boardroom Rock, The Carpenters, whatever you call it; I have two, no, three questions for those of you who openly or mentally ridiculed guys like me for buying Foreigner "Four", Journey "Escape", or Kansas "Leftoverture":

1. What was it about these bands you found distasteful?

2. Do you still believe the ridicule was warranted or fair?

3. Do you now like any music you ridiculed in your youth?

Gary great thread. I caught hell in high school for buying Gladys Knight and the Pips, Aretha Franklin, Carpenters etc...the list of albums that caused me ridicule with my peers was endless... :-) Although most of my listening was more hard rock. I would argue that Karen Carpenter had perhaps the greatest female voice in the history of pop music. I grew up in Downey CA which is where they lived. One of my buddy's brother did automobile painting and restoration for Richard Carpenter who was a huge car guy. One of Downey's few claims to fame, well also the Apollo Command Modules.

I frankly liked all the bands you and others have mentioned. I might include Golden Earring, The Clash, The English Beat, Modern English (who may have done one of the top 80's pop songs in my opinion "Melt With You" on the After the Snow album), REM and others.

The only song I can think of that I really really really cannot stand is Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band. I want to cut my ears off like Madsen did to the cop in Reservoir Dogs.........

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place". George Bernard Shaw.