IGNORED

Was Journey, Foreigner, etc Bad?

Since 2 of the albums mentioned came out in '81, that's what I'm trying to recall. MTV launched that year, which was interesting. I made 2 moves that year, which affected my music interests. First, to Madison, WI, where I spent a lot of time at a small club called Merlin's. This club brought in a surprising number of national and international bands, mostly punk/new wave but other stuff as well.

In the fall, I moved to LA, discovered Rodney on KROQ, and launched into exploring the SoCal punk scene. I just didn't notice bands like Journey, Styx, Foreigner. I had a strong aversion to DuranDuran and some other "new wave" stuff, wasn't into the LA metal scene, which seemed dominated by big hair glam metal, and just didn't like the Hollywood metal scene at that time much at all. I liked bands like The Clash, U2, The Police, Talking Heads, The Pretenders, and plenty of other stuff. Mostly listened to or went to see bands like X, The Blasters, T.S.O.L., Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, Meat Puppets, The Gun Club, Butthole Surfers, early Oingo Boingo and Wall of Voodoo, Gang of Four, The Stranglers, Social Distortion, Black Flag, Minute Men, Circle Jerks, China White, Agent Orange, Fear, etc.

That was '81. It didn't last too long. I don't listen to any of that any more. Haven't for a long time.

In '81 M.J. was big and about to get much bigger (Thriller in '82), Bob Marley died, Prince was emerging (1999 was released in '82), P-Funk was kind of on hiatus, GrandMaster Flash made a splash, and Rick James was at his apex. Disco was over, which was a great relief.

I thought the thread was kind of about rock bands. And it is very white and male around here.

If we are digging back a bit for soul, groove, psychedelia, bluesy rock that blew the doors wide open?

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Are You Experienced? (this was a 10 out of a possible 5)

Axis Bold as Love

Electric Ladyland

Jimi Hendrix: Band of Gypsies

But this goes without saying, right ? ;)

;)

Cruel. That'd drive the snakes out of Ireland.

Maybe Paul is right. In the early '80s slow was a little fast at times. Take Me to the River was still a dance floor favorite:

Then of course, Billy Idol's Eyes Without a Face

Roxy Music, Avalon

The Motels Only The Lonely:

The endlessly overplayed Every Breath You Take (Police)

Human League, I'm Only Human:

Tears For Fears, Mad World:

Spandau Ballet, True:

Cyndi Lauper, Time After Time:

Can we skip past film inspired dance songs like "Maniac" from Flashdance and the title song for Footloose, moving right through Michael Jackson's "Thriller" , including "Beat It", pause to acknowledge Prince's musical brilliance in the albums "1999' and Purple Rain" with great rhythmic songs like "Baby, I'm a Star" and "I Would Die 4 U", and get STRAIGHT to more serious stuff?

I frankly liked all the bands you and others have mentioned. I might include Golden Earring, The Clash, The English Beat, Modern English (who may have done one of the top 80's pop songs in my opinion "Melt With You" on the After the Snow album), REM and others.

The only song I can think of that I really really really cannot stand is Afternoon Delight by The Starland Vocal Band. I want to cut my ears off like Madsen did to the cop in Reservoir Dogs.........

He,he. Brilliant! Quintessential cheese. My response is more like:

Cool?

I dug it. Quintessential B-52's.

Of course it is impossible to compare it with something like the Minutemen's "Corona" video ("Corona" was the theme song for Jackass), complete with T.Boon's trade-mark dance moves. Very different music and dance styles but both prime examples of the idiot sublime, inspiring dancing fools everywhere.

more early '80s dancing: