IGNORED

Why do WAV and FLAC files Sound Different

The earth is round but not spherical.

The Earth is an oblate spheroid - meaning it is perfectly and precisely accurate to say the earth is not round. It would be more precise to say, "not perfectly round" of course, if I take your meaning correctly. ;)

It does point out that there can be more than one way to correctly describe something though.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

The Earth is an oblate spheroid - meaning it is perfectly and precisely accurate to say the earth is not round. It would be more precise to say, not perfectly round of course, if I take your meaning correctly. ;)

Round is not synonymous with spherical. For instance, a circle is most definitely round. An equatorial cross section of the Earth is very close to circular. Ergo, the Earth is round, even in a strict sense.

Round is not synonymous with spherical. For instance, a circle is most definitely round. An equatorial cross section of the Earth is very close to circular. Ergo, the Earth is round, even in a strict sense.

Paul is onto the next person he can be pedantic with... Good luck Mansr

Missed the laugh huh? Yep, you are right, as round is a synonym for spherical.

On the other hand, the earth is not a perfect sphere, so it is not perfectly round either. (grin)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

The entire process is screen cast so it's documented. And my original two evaluation scenarios still stand. I'm not giving anyone a simple 1 in 10 dart throw chance.

Heck, I'll even prepare everything live. That is I can give you remote shared view of my system while I do it. You will see me generate the WAV file, do the MD5 hash, create all the copies, touch the creation/modification date to flatten them. Rename them 1 - 10. Alternately you can provide me with a WAV of your choosing.

The only part I'll kick you out of is the random selection of which one I will FLAC/Zip/Unzip/UnFlac back to WAV and verify the MD5 Checksum. Will screen record the entire thing and post it on YouTube.

Ok, $3000 2 directories, 10 files each, created and sent during one documented live session. I'm not a computer geek so I will need to consult somebody on the documantation procedure. May take a day or two unless some CA member will help. Will 3 days after I recognise the right files (I will deliver the original VAW, I don't like classical) be enough for you to send the money to a given European account?
Ok, $3000 2 directories, 10 files each, created and sent during one documented live session. I'm not a computer geek so I will need to consult somebody on the documantation procedure. May take a day or two unless some CA member will help. Will 3 days after I recognise the right files (I will deliver the original VAW, I don't like classical) be enough for you to send the money to a given European account?

No, $1K for a 1 in 100 chance at guessing. 2K for a 1 in 196 chance of guessing. I'll do $1500 for a 1 in 144 (12 tracks per).

I'll send you a prepaid Visa. You'll send a screenshot of payment receipt to a charity.

$ 3000 ?

I've got $2000 that I can spend. I'm not going above a ratio that I have set forth. Basically its $1000 per every 100 possible permutations.

It's either take it or leave it at this point. It's way more than fair since I'm not asking for any matching funds.

Your next answer is either yes or no to my proposal.

You mean there might be tidal effects on sound quality?

you post some of the derpiest responses to my quotes, although I am kinda setting them up for the derpitude. What I'm trying to say is, oh lawl.

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

WAV and FLAC files do or don't sound different based on the shape of the planet?

No, but they sound different if you are in the northern or southern hemisphere.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Don't put a pressure on me, man. This is you who is under pressure. Are you waiting for an opportunity to repeat 'crickets'?

I simply said I'm only working with a yes/no answer to my proposal. Take some time. Either way I'm getting a data point so I'm under no pressure as it's a win/win for me either way in my opinion. At least if the answer is no I don't have to sweat a 1 in 100 change at losing $1k.

No, but they sound different if you are in the northern or southern hemisphere.

That makes sense. Waves go clockwise in the southern hemisphere so they must sound better there since that's the way the clock actually moves.

It's just like a record player!

If I am anything, I am a music lover and a pragmatist.

I simply said I'm only working with a yes/no answer to my proposal. Take some time. Either way I'm getting a data point so I'm under no pressure as it's a win/win for me either way in my opinion. At least if the answer is no I don't have to sweat a 1 in 100 change at losing $1k.

Make the cash prize directly available to him, instead of a donation to charity that you can then claim as a deduction on your income tax !

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I understand where you are going with your "challenge" but if 1% of people can repeatedly pass the test then there is a difference.

He is saying there is a 1% chance that someone will randomly be correct. He isn't saying that 1% of people could pass the test 100% of the time.