IGNORED

JRiver Media Center Resampling DLNA Audio Question

The Computer Audiophile

Hi Guys - Has anyone tried or is anyone currently resampling audio for output via DLNA from JRMC? I can get it to work using the simple sample rate selector in the first image below, but I can't get anything in DSP Studio (second image below) to work.

Any suggestions?

jrmc-1a.png

jrmc-2a.png

Founder of Audiophile Style

Announcing The Audiophile Style Podcast

Hi Guys - Has anyone tried or is anyone currently resampling audio for output via DLNA from JRMC? I can get it to work using the simple sample rate selector in the first image below, but I can't get anything in DSP Studio (second image below) to work.

Any suggestions?

Not sure if this is exactly the same thing or not but I do regularly play files through JRMC to my Sonos boxes around the house including files such as DSD or 24bit that the Sonos cannot play natively. JRMC transparently is presumably downsampling and/or transcoding those files to play on the Sonos. If this sounds like similar functionality I am happy to dig into my settings to figure out how it is working. Been a while since I got it working so don't remember how I did it. I am currently using JRMC 22 as well and it is working fine with no change from previous versions. Feel free to private message me.

My guess is that the DSP Studio is coded in such a way that it's settings only work in the local player/renderer and so re-sampling through/with DLNA is workable only through that particular dialogue box.

I use JRiver and like it overall, but it defiantly has a "thrown together" or "designed by committee" aspect to the UI and (in this case) functionality that leads to exactly this sort of incongruity on occasion. It would take a fundamental overhaul to "fix" this and that is probably not realistic given it's small shop roots...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

My guess is that the DSP Studio is coded in such a way that it's settings only work in the local player/renderer and so re-sampling through/with DLNA is workable only through that particular dialogue box.

I use JRiver and like it overall, but it defiantly has a "thrown together" or "designed by committee" aspect to the UI and (in this case) functionality that leads to exactly this sort of incongruity on occasion. It would take a fundamental overhaul to "fix" this and that is probably not realistic given it's small shop roots...

But the DSP studio link is provided within the DLNA server config options. I'm confused. I'll send the JRMC guys an email.

But the DSP studio link is provided within the DLNA server config options. I'm confused. I'll send the JRMC guys an email.

Exactly - a UI link that implies a certain functionality/link or logic but does something different (or nothing at all). JRiver has a few of these sorts of things. That said I have noticed that when they are informed of them they often (though not necessarily right away) clean them up. Again, all to be expected from a small code shop (and an advantage overall in my opinion)...

Exactly - a UI link that implies a certain functionality/link or logic but does something different (or nothing at all). JRiver has a few of these sorts of things. That said I have noticed that when they are informed of them they often (though not necessarily right away) clean them up. Again, all to be expected from a small code shop (and an advantage overall in my opinion)...

Ah. Now I get what you're saying.

There is a conflict between the DLNA Audio advanced options resampling and DSP studio resampling which hasn't been resolved yet. It's actually somewhat more complex than it seems because it necessitates changes to the DLNA content directory.

There is a conflict between the DLNA Audio advanced options resampling and DSP studio resampling which hasn't been resolved yet. It's actually somewhat more complex than it seems because it necessitates changes to the DLNA content directory.

Thanks Bob.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Bob.

Just to warn you Chris - this issue has been discussed as far back as October 2014 in MC20, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix any time soon.

It's frustrating, as the GUI gives the impression that it should be possible to resample based on the input file bit rate using the DLNA DSP Studio. However, you can only set a one-size-fits-all bit rate outside the DLNA DSP Studio screen.

My renderer only supports up to 96K, so I'd love to be able to only down sample higher bit rate files. No go unfortunately.

Mm- I usually don't let the DNLA server transcode unless necessary, sending the output in the original format.

You might try setting it to resample only when necessary, and see if that does what you want.

It is tricky and non-intuitive in some ways, and it might have changed in v21.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Just to warn you Chris - this issue has been discussed as far back as October 2014 in MC20, so I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix any time soon.

It's frustrating, as the GUI gives the impression that it should be possible to resample based on the input file bit rate using the DLNA DSP Studio. However, you can only set a one-size-fits-all bit rate outside the DLNA DSP Studio screen.

My renderer only supports up to 96K, so I'd love to be able to only down sample higher bit rate files. No go unfortunately.

Yep, I brought this up too when I was using JR. When I asked about the DLNA issues (DSP as one) I was told some stuff works some does not. I asked which ones would pass and which did not - but never got a reply. It was the last time I used JR.

Frustrating to read.

I would be totally fine if MC didn't use the DSP how I wanted, but then please remove the DSP Studio link in the DLNA section. I would be much happier if this issue was fixed and DSP Studio remained linked in the DLNA section, but I'd accept the other option. I just think the current layout is confusing and frustrating.

Frustrating to read.

I would be totally fine if MC didn't use the DSP how I wanted, but then please remove the DSP Studio link in the DLNA section. I would be much happier if this issue was fixed and DSP Studio remained linked in the DLNA section, but I'd accept the other option. I just think the current layout is confusing and frustrating.

The trouble is that some of the DSP Studio features work via DLNA in some circumstances, but not others. It just happens that the only feature I need to work (content-based down-sampling) does not.

It looks like they decided to take the short-cut route of completely "recycling" the DSP dialogue from elsewhere in MC, even though only some features work in this mode. It's a strange way of developing software (I've worked in IT for 20 years).

What I find most frustrating is that it has been a known issue for the past 2+ years that remains unresolved whilst they focus instead on adding new features to attract new paying customers. MC as a whole is clearly a very powerful tool, but their approach to customer service is a bit amateur.

Mm- I usually don't let the DNLA server transcode unless necessary, sending the output in the original format.

You might try setting it to resample only when necessary, and see if that does what you want.

It is tricky and non-intuitive in some ways, and it might have changed in v21.

-Paul

Thanks Paul. This is exactly what I need it to do.

I've tried in MC21 and had it confirmed by JRiver that this doesn't work.

It looks like they decided to take the short-cut route of completely "recycling" the DSP dialogue from elsewhere in MC, even though only some features work in this mode. It's a strange way of developing software (I've worked in IT for 20 years).

In my IT experience (same as you about 20 years though I am now in a different business) such "recycling" is common. I never was employed by "big shop" software companies (like Microsoft, etc.) but it was the norm in small code shops I worked and JRiver is defiantly on the small side. Not that this is an excuse it's just the lay of the land so to speak. When I purchase software from these small companies (really our only choice in the niche of audiophiledom - unless I am not aware of a {non Apple} competitor to JRiver), I go in with the attitude if 70% of it works it meets expectations - if more of it works that is just icing on the cake... ;)

I go in with the attitude if 70% of it works it meets expectations - if more of it works that is just icing on the cake... ;)

Depends if the 70% does what you need it to do - in my case it doesn't. I can accept "known issues" in software - but I think companies should do their best to fix these (or remove the confusion) before adding new bells and whistles.

Depends if the 70% does what you need it to do - in my case it doesn't. I can accept "known issues" in software - but I think companies should do their best to fix these (or remove the confusion) before adding new bells and whistles.

I see your point. That said, it is "normal operating procedure" in the software business. This is true even with the big boys (e.g. Microsoft, etc.) to a certain extant, but because of their corporate install base they have to respond to broken functionality in a much more timely manner - as long as the functionality really counts for something (defined as a large enough # of customers care about it). For small shops, the fact is that the business pressure (i.e. what their customers are actually asking for) is very heavily biased to the "give us new/more functionality, fix the broken stuff later". This is why buying software is even today (30+ years after the "PC revolution") still a crap shoot to an extant no one in the business really wants to talk about...in that sense it parallels the audiophile world :)

This is changed in the next build of MC 22 to remove the simplified DSP function checkboxes and only use DSP studio. So far only the linux amd64 build has this. The rest will probably come along early next week.