IGNORED

3 newcomer questions

alba63

Hello,

I am relatively new here, being a longtime HiFi/HiEnd listener from Germany.

I had a Win XP audio PC for quite a few years now, Win 7 being less than optimal for Hi quality audio. Having switched to Win10 very recently, I came across JPlay, Fidelity and finally across AO.

As I cannot upgrade my old Audio PC to Win 10 (lack of Mainboard drivers for Win10), I have a few questions:

1. My main Win10 (64bit professional) machine is now a Xeon powered, SSD system disc desktop, on which I have applied a number of optimizations (fidelity "free version" so far + 20-30 shut down services, no unnecessary bells and whistles like Cortana, background apps etc) and JPlay sounds - to my surprise - already better than my old audio XP computer. Very detailed, transparent and musical sound with little harshness.

Question: Is there a possibility to further optimize this (general purpose/ internet) machine with AO without compromizing it's functionality or is it absolutely necessary to first invest into a dedicated audio PC hardware before being able to get audible benefits from AO? I ask because I'd like to first evaluate AO before investing in new computer hardware.

2. Are there some available hardware configurations out there for a dedicated 1 PC machine for a low noise/ silent PC that doesn't break the bank? At this point, I certainly won't invest in expensive SATA cables, PSU etc. Just something that allows to run Windows in the most audio friendly way while preserving maybe networking functionality.

3. Last but not least, I haven't understood yet whether at this point, Win 10 (in respect to AO) is preferabe to "Win Server 2012" or the other way round.

Thank you for any helpful answer.

Bernhard

As one cannot edit postings here, I'd like to elaborate on no.2 of my 3 questions above: I want to build a dedicated (single) audio PC that I plan to optimize as much as possible for audio. I would need some hardware recommendations. The solution should for now be built from standard components, no expensive linear PSUs, cables etc. I may add them later if I like what I hear from a fully optimized machine with standard components.

1. Mainboard: What socket to prefer? Older 1150 for Xeon 4 core? More recent sockets like 1151 or 2011-v3 or is it irrelevant?

2. cpu: I currently have a fast Xeon in my main machine, I still have an older dual core i5 cpu - would that be ok?

3. cpu coolerconfiguration? Or is there a way to avoid cooler fan with modern cpu?

4. Main internal PSU - how to get it working without fan?

5. My current Win XP audio PC had 2 external PSUs for the 2 HDs (system disk and data disc, although a bigger SSD like 500GB could hold both, OS and music files...

6. Audio card: I use an external DAC, so I just need a good audio card with optical out. In the last years, I used ESI Juli@ and RME 9632. Both good, the RME is more expensive but has better driver support.

OS shall be Server 2012 R2 or Win 10 whichever is better suited for optimizations in respect to SQ.

Thank you....

Bernhard

You can edit posts here, but there is a time limit.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

EDIT:

I answered some of my own questions by taking the following steps:

Instead of buying a new computer and lots of new hardware alltogether, I decided to install a dual boot system on my current one: I just bought a new SSD for WS 2012 R2 demo and managed to install both WS2012 and AO. I now have a Win 10pro 64bit installation on my normal PC, and WS2012 R2 (in demo) on my audio installation. This is probably not a permanent solution as in WS2012 mode I cannot do much else than listening to music.

It is too early to draw conclusions, but my first impressions are the following:

Coming from Win 7 without - for the most part - any optimizations in the OS, the SQ has gone up considerably in either case.

1. The biggest and most surprising step up so far has been Win 10 standard + Fidelizer free version + JPlay Mini - simply that blew me away by how much better it sounds than Win7 (which was a clear step down from Win XP, but from memory I'd say Win10 is even better. XP is no longer an option anyway, no support from MS, no new drivers anymore).

2. To my surprise, Win 10pro with everything switched on, Fidelizer free on "medium setting" + lots of Software installed and running sounds better than WS2012 R2 + Fidelizer free same settings, AO in "advanced mode". More defined, 3D, dynamic so far.

3. W2012R2 in minimum server mode I am not sure. It is warmer, but for clarity, dynamics and 3d-ness not so sure yet.

Ok this has been all exciting, and I am thrilled to suddenly have a much better sounding computer.

How can i help you?

Sorry, I have been on vacation. I'd like to find a normal priced hardware setup for a dedicated audio PC, I only found a high end setup on your site, with quite expensive components. I'd first like to set up the machine as a single audio PC, and then in a dual PC setup where I use my normal PC as control PC.

So I already have 2 SSDs for that audio PC, I'd like to learn about the best options for

1. CPU

2. Mainboard

3. Audio card

(RAM probably not being that big of an issue...)

I will run Win server 2012 R2 on this computer.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

What about Fidelizer's Nimitra? You could re-stage it with Windows Server 2012 R2 & AO.

Fidelizer Nimitra Computer Audio Server

Best,

Phil

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide