IGNORED

JRiver has launched Media Center 22

Interesting. The Windows version keeps the same library when upgraded.

I have JRMC on two Windows machines. One had version 20 and the other version 21.

It kept my library from v21 but on my other machine I had to update to v21 then to v22 in order for it to import my existing library.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I have JRMC on two Windows machines. One had version 20 and the other version 21.

It kept my library from v21 but on my other machine I had to update to v21 then to v22 in order for it to import my existing library.

Any reason why you need to maintain two separate libraries? The reason I ask is because I also use JRiver on two machines - one runs Media Server and the other is just a media player connected to my DAC. In the media player machine all I do is connect to the media server.

I had updated my media player machine to v22 before updating the media server which was running v20. No issues at all.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Any reason why you need to maintain two separate libraries? The reason I ask is because I also use JRiver on two machines - one runs Media Server and the other is just a media player connected to my DAC. In the media player machine all I do is connect to the media server.

I had updated my media player machine to v22 before updating the media server which was running v20. No issues at all.

It's not really too well thought out and mostly historical. My first server had(has) the files on a second internal drive. My second server for my headphone rig points to music files on my NAS which is also my backup. I guess that I could just as easily point the headphone rig to my first server but I just have not experimented with that.

No real method to my madness. Thanks for asking though. I need to try out some other scenarios to see if SQ is improved...

BTW. I bought one of those Himalayan Salt lamps and love it :-)

System

Interesting. I thought I was imagining things! It definitely sounded better for me coming from v21 (Win10). I felt some muddiness lifted.

In terms of media management, this is, hands down, the best media player.

+1 and JRemote is great.

System

At this point they can say they support Apple, but a majority of their customers are on Windows, so that is where they want to spend time and effort. Which is perfectly okay.

It's about 10 to 1 Windows to Mac, which is close to the world wide distribution of market share.

We don't ignore Apple, but we do our work on Windows, and then port it to Mac and Linux, so they are usually behind the Windows version by a few weeks.

Theater View should be coming to both Mac and Linux in the next month.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

It's about 10 to 1 Windows to Mac, which is close to the world wide distribution of market share.

We don't ignore Apple, but we do our work on Windows, and then port it to Mac and Linux, so they are usually behind the Windows version by a few weeks.

Theater View should be coming to both Mac and Linux in the next month.

I am uncomfortable with what seems to be an abandonment of iOS (i.e. JRemote) in favor of Android apps. The money in mobile products by the way, is pretty much all concentrated in iOS, so it is difficult to understand why you guys would be orphaning the iOS based JRemote.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I am uncomfortable with what seems to be an abandonment of iOS (i.e. JRemote) in favor of Android apps. The money in mobile products by the way, is pretty much all concentrated in iOS, so it is difficult to understand why you guys would be orphaning the iOS based JRemote.

-Paul

I must have missed where they said they were abandoning JRemote on iOS. Did they specifically say that?

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

I must have missed where they said they were abandoning JRemote on iOS. Did they specifically say that?

Please see previous post.

Note that I must have missed where they said they were continuing to support and upgrade JRemote still. It will require a few updates for iOS 10.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Yes it is. I use 64 bit on my Audio PC.

Are you sure about this? JRiver so far has been a 32 bit program (of course it runs in Windows 64bit OS). I run the latest build (stable) and it will NOT accept 64 bit VST pugins and the reason according to "Jim" (I think he is a principle programer/owner or something) on their forums is that JRiver is coded in 32 bits...

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

I just assumed that it was 64 bit since it ran on my 64 bit machine. But you are right it would still run as 32 bit. If Jim has confirmed that JRiver is 32 bit then I stand corrected.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

MC is a 32 bit program. It works in a 64 bit OS.

I think it was probably Matt or Hendrik who explained why 64 bit VST plug-ins won't work.

Jim

Thanks for the clarification Jim. I assume that the current windowing behavior of plugins (which is that the end user has no control over the sizing of the plugin presentation/window) is due to probably to the nature of the interface that the VST standard (I am assuming it is a "standard")? JRiver/VST/most plugins seem to assume a screen resolution much lower than is becoming the norm these days, and thus many plugins I have tried (having to do with EQ and room correction) are so small as to be unworkable. Thankfully DMG's Equilibrium has some built in control, though I have to use its "Huge" setting to even begin to work with it (I run a 3840x2160 monitor).

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!