IGNORED

SonicTransporter vs MacMini

Guys, what's the benefit to use Sonic Transporter as Roon server vs Mac Mini in the same chain (LAN Airport Extreme to microRendu)?

Since today for the first time I've failed to hear any big reason to use HQplayer with Roon I'm thinking maybe the SonicTransporter would suite my needs and will sound better than Mini?

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

No one has compared these two solutions?

My concern is that SonicTransporter costs the same as the Mini 2012 while the first is limited in it's functionality.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

What you call the limited functionality of the ST is exactly the whole point and purpose. It is built to play music with no parts, software or processes doing anything else.

If you want an all-purpose PC that can do more, then it's not for you.

If you want a ridiculously affordable dedicated music player optimized for that purpose only, look no further.

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

Thanks for your input, Al but it's not that ridiculously affordable comparing to similarly costing MacMini which can do the same + Backing up my music library to the cloud.

Yet there are no mentions that this dedicated music player optimized for that purpose only can and does sound better than Mini in the same application (Roon server via LAN). Does it in the end? Is there a difference sound-wise?

You are correct:) But anyhow I'm still curious to see any benefits of it. Not to bully or something like that but to make the right decision.

I'm going to be controversial in my reply here ... but there is no benefit to using a sonicTransporter, but equally there is no benefit in using a MacMini. Both do the same job. And if running Roon to a network device such as the microRendu they should sound the same (IMO).

The sonicTransporter is a low powered CotS (Consumer off the Shelf) computer; but has been preconfigured as a "fit and forget" toaster appliance. It will run Roon server and (unless you start delving deeply) that is all it will do. It is fanless (afaik) and therefore with SSDs will run silently.

A MacMini on the other hand will do much more; but will require you to do more configuring. It also has a fan which may cause disturbance in your listening room (though there is no reason to have the MacMini / Roon server in your listening room if you can run network cabling easily).

Infact any off the shelf computer will do the same thing. The main limitation is form factor and noise from fans - otherwise you could quite happily buy the cheapest computer from PC World or Dell / HP / Asus and stick that out the way.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I'm going to be controversial in my reply here ... but there is no benefit to using a sonicTransporter, but equally there is no benefit in using a MacMini. Both do the same job. And if running Roon to a network device such as the microRendu they should sound the same (IMO).

The sonicTransporter is a low powered CotS (Consumer off the Shelf) computer; but has been preconfigured as a "fit and forget" toaster appliance. It will run Roon server and (unless you start delving deeply) that is all it will do. It is fanless (afaik) and therefore with SSDs will run silently.

A MacMini on the other hand will do much more; but will require you to do more configuring. It also has a fan which may cause disturbance in your listening room (though there is no reason to have the MacMini / Roon server in your listening room if you can run network cabling easily).

Infact any off the shelf computer will do the same thing. The main limitation is form factor and noise from fans - otherwise you could quite happily buy the cheapest computer from PC World or Dell / HP / Asus and stick that out the way.

You could also buy a Mac mini with a solid state hard drive and make it fanless .

This was (OBVIOUSLY) where you were going when you concocted this (predestined) thread.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

WOTD: transparent

You could also buy a Mac mini with a solid state hard drive and make it fanless .

Not too sure about that. I installed a SSD drive in my Mac mini and it still gets quite hot with the fan going on turbo whenever the CPU gets busy, which happens quite often with Roon running.

Probably a good fan control software could help? Does anyone have good recommendation for Mac fan control?

Macbook Pro/MacMini/dCS Debussy/Cambridge 650BD[br]Vitus Audio SS-010/Living Voice OBX-R2 Speakers/Ultrasone Edition 8 phones[br]Airport Express/Meridian AD88[br]

This was (OBVIOUSLY) where you were going when you concocted this (predestined) thread.

Surprise, surprise, surprise.

WOTD: transparent

Here's why I need a separate server from my Mac .

I use file vault to encrypt all data on my Mac ( business reasons) You cannot wake or get into my Mac without manually entering a password every time on the computer itself .

So I can't use VNC to get in and even a wake on Lan feature if it was ever implemented in Roon ( on the list to do I believe) will not do anything but bring up the page to enter a password .

When using file vault you cannot have your Mac open with no initial password to get in .the feature to remove the password is greyed out .

The Sonic Transporter is costly especially if you want to run HQ Player on it.

I was recommended these made in China fanless PC's which seem to have the same specs as the Sonic Transporter but at a fraction of the cost

https://world.taobao.com/item/530626036302.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7728556.w4004-14492920633.18.GMcq2w

https://world.taobao.com/item/530440013124.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.DQbbgk#detail

The only thing is that they have built in wi fi.

If I purchase one and disable the wi fi by turning the wireless networking off, does this take care of the noise?

Well i had issues with cutouts on the cheaper Sonic Transporter and decided to get the I5 version .

I'm Using Roon . The I5 version has been working flawlessly . I was bumping close to the cheaper Sonic Transporter

library limit so that may have been part of the problem .

Anyway ,very fast and have to say I'm impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew at Small Green Computer sent me this link today as I was talking about next step now that I have embraced the MicroRendu for audio playback. I am ready to move on from my 3 year old Paul Pang server. But I don't want to spend another 3k on another computer just yet.

I can run JRiver for video, Roon and HQ Player from this server for under 2k!

https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/collections/custom-units/products/sonictransporter-roon-server-hqplayer

SPECIFICATIONS:

HARDWARE

Enclosure: Fanless solid aluminium case

Processor: Intel i7 quad core processor

Memory: 16GB RAM

Storage: 240GB SSD for Windows OS + Roon database etc

USB: 4 USB ports for Keyboard, Mouse, and USB drives

Network: Gigabit Ethernet RJ45

Power: 19VDC input

Vinyl Nirvana Thorens 125 MKII+EAT JO No5 w/ SoundSmith Boran Cantilever>Gold Note PH5+HDPlex 500 ATX+
HDPlex 300>Custom W10 Server>Roon Rock>Euphony Stylus v4+Endpoint v4 Atom/JCAT XE USB>ISO Regen>
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 w/ RoomPerfect>GR Research NX-Studio + Rythmik F18 Servo Sub
"Get Off Your Knee, Burn The Mask And Please Wake Up....You Have Been Lied To About Everything...And I Mean Everything"

About two years ago I had Andrew build me a similar server. Quad core i5 processor, 60GB SSD, 4GB RAM, Linux Ubuntu Studio, fanless for around $1000. Same case as the sonicTransporter in the above link.

I have added an Intel x520 NIC for optical network.

I run Roon Server & HQP to convert everything to DSD256 with no problems. Processors run around 50%.

Been very happy with the server. With Linux you save enough to buy an HDPlex LPS!

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

After much deliberation I ordered the sonicTransporter i7 early evening on Friday.

It was delivered from the US to deepest Wiltshire today at 10:30 and playing music within 20 minutes. 3 and a bit working days brilliant!!

It's sounding great with the microRendu and only time will tell if it's an improvement over my iMac.

Thanks to Andrew for a fantastic and easy to use product that thus far appears to be a perfect set-up and forget solution for Roon.

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

My understanding is that they're not analogous. The SonicTransporter is a networking device, not a "player."

Do I have that wrong?

You are correct:) But anyhow I'm still curious to see any benefits of it. Not to bully or something like that but to make the right decision.
Whether the sonicTransporter is a "player" or not actually depends on what you are using it for:

- running media file server(s) for UPnP/DLNA or Squeezebox type network audio players on the network, aka renderers aka streamers, then No.

- running RoonServer for Roon EndPoints on the network and/or HQPlayer for NAAs on the network, then, strictly speaking (ie, the sonicTransporter actually decoding and playing audio files), Yes.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

After much deliberation I ordered the sonicTransporter i7 early evening on Friday.

It was delivered from the US to deepest Wiltshire today at 10:30 and playing music within 20 minutes. 3 and a bit working days brilliant!!

It's sounding great with the microRendu and only time will tell if it's an improvement over my iMac.

Thanks to Andrew for a fantastic and easy to use product that thus far appears to be a perfect set-up and forget solution for Roon.

How does it compare to your 272/250 combo?

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

Hi,

It's too early to comment on the change from iMac to sonicTransporter but my initial impressions are very positive.

As for comparison on Roon > microRendu > 2Qute into the 272, it wipes the floor as far as i'm concerned. I've hardly used the 272 to stream from my NAS in 2 months which tells you the story. On the few occasions i've been tempted to go back and compare the same tracks, it hasn't lasted long as the sound stage shrinks, there is less detail and it sounds a tad flat. I'm in no way criticising the 272 as it's an excellent piece of kit but using Roon > microRendu > 2Qute and 272 as a preamp is a no brainer to my ears. All of this said the 272 is not redundant as all my AV goes into it via optical and sounds great.

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

I have found that audio quality from the SonicTransporter I7 sounds better than my iMac which has a solid state drive .

I have found that audio quality from the SonicTransporter I7 sounds better than my iMac which has a solid state drive .

Having had the ST i7 up and running for 5 days i'm more than happy and SQ is definitely a step from the iMac.

SQ aside it is lightening fast and works perfectly.

I'm considering an upgrade of the switching PSU to a linear. Any thoughts or experience?