Jump to content
ted_b

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Étienne said:

Biggest bummer with forums is the info is scattered. Is there a site with info organized on this topic? List of units that work, links to the files needed to make this work. Current step by step instructions. There are 82 pages here with some over a year old. Technology marches on and things have likely changed.

 

I'm very interested in getting my SACD collection onto my NAS and available to JRiver Media Center for listening without digging for a disc. At the moment considering purchasing a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD. My assumption is that each unit requires a unique setup. I found SACD-extract-BDP160.zip but assume it only works with a Pioneer BDP-160. Do I assume correctly?

Rather than a web site (which is a tedious task) why not use sticky threads that contain the basic?


Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE. ClearAudio Emotion TT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Étienne said:

Biggest bummer with forums is the info is scattered. Is there a site with info organized on this topic? List of units that work, links to the files needed to make this work. Current step by step instructions. There are 82 pages here with some over a year old. Technology marches on and things have likely changed.

 

I totally agree with this comment. I have long wanted the ability to rip my SACDs, so I am very pleased to have stumbled across this thread by accident, but am really struggling to find a set of coherent and up to date instructions that tell me how to do this using Windows 10 and my Oppo BDP-105EU (running at the latest firmware level). One particular difficulty is that people refer to post numbers such as #123, but no post numbers appear on my screen!

 

I'm using the correct IP address for my Oppo, but attempts to run sacd_extract just generate the error 'sacd_extract has stopped working'. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopDownDriver said:

Anyone try the new UDP-203 as of yet?  Any chance it would work in ripping SACDs?

Several people have tried and all confirmed the 203 does not support sacd ripping in this method ( different chipset)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

I'm using the correct IP address for my Oppo, but attempts to run sacd_extract just generate the error 'sacd_extract has stopped working'. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

 

Ensure that you are using the correct version of Autoscripts, not the first/"default" ones. On Oppo 105EU, you cannot use the scripts running the /usr/sbin/telnetd daemon - the script will just fail and not continue to start the actual sacd server. The correct script will open the drawer for you.

 

The procedure is pretty simple:

1) insert a USB stick with the correct Autoscript folder into your Oppo and insert a SACD when the drawer opens (if it starts playing, you may just use the stop button to stop it as well)

2) run the sacd extractor on your PC and give it the IP adress of your Oppo as the address of the "server" to extract from

 

That is all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, kevin gilmore said:

for windows 10 you need the version of sacd_extract that is dated 7/29/2015 and is 1073KB

 

the older version never worked for me on windows 10

I have indeed been trying to use an older version. Where can I find a link to the 2015 version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kevin gilmore said:

for windows 10 you need the version of sacd_extract that is dated 7/29/2015 and is 1073KB

 

the older version never worked for me on windows 10

I eventually found a post dated 2 Oct 2016 on p44 that quoted the following link, which contains that version of sacd_extract.exe.

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/releases

 

Unfortunately, that just gives me a different error, as shown below. Other things worked as expected, i.e. the Oppo's disc drawer opened automatically after I plugged in the USB memory stick containing the Autoscript folder (after which I loaded an SACD and closed the drawer). Perhaps I'm using the wrong version of Autoscript...

 

G:\sacd_extract>sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.84:2002 -P -I
Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.84:2002 for reading

Edited by haggis999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, haggis999 said:

I eventually found a post dated 2 Oct 2016 on p44 that quoted the following link, which contains that version of sacd_extract.exe.

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/releases

 

Unfortunately, that just gives me a different error, as shown below. Other things worked as expected, i.e. the Oppo's disc drawer opened automatically after I plugged in the USB memory stick containing the Autoscript folder (after which I loaded an SACD and closed the drawer). Perhaps I'm using the wrong version of Autoscript...

 

G:\sacd_extract>sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.84:2002 -P -I
Failed to connect
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.84:2002 for reading

If sacd_extract isn't working for you, it might be worth trying the Sonore iso2dsd GUI. The MAC OS version works great for me. I can't speak for the Windows version, but presumably it works. Just google "Sonore iso2dsd windows" and it'll come right up. 

 

Btw I feel (or rather *felt*) your pain!  Took me a whole afternoon to find the needle in the haystack of this thread and get it working on my Oppo -- that Telnet thing was a major red herring! -- but in the end it turns out to be super easy. The hard part comes later; trying to convince Lloyds of London why they should insure your Oppo BD-103. ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2017 at 10:08 PM, dkdkkd said:

..  Is your list of supported units complete?

Cambridge Audio BD752 should also be on the list (I copied all my SACDs to my NAS with the player - with the latest firmware installed).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

If sacd_extract isn't working for you, it might be worth trying the Sonore iso2dsd GUI. The MAC OS version works great for me. I can't speak for the Windows version, but presumably it works. Just google "Sonore iso2dsd windows" and it'll come right up. 

 

Btw I feel (or rather *felt*) your pain!  Took me a whole afternoon to find the needle in the haystack of this thread and get it working on my Oppo -- that Telnet thing was a major red herring! -- but in the end it turns out to be super easy. The hard part comes later; trying to convince Lloyds of London why they should insure your Oppo BD-103. ? 

Many thanks for that suggestion. I've just downloaded the Sonore iso2dsd GUI software and given it a trial run. It appeared to work perfectly and created a full set of DFF files for the SACD in my Oppo. These were stored in a dedicated folder within the Sonore iso2dsd folder.

 

I copied these DFF files to a USB memory stick, which was then plugged into the front of my Oppo. The Oppo was able to list all these files, but when I try to play any of them it thinks about it for a second and then gives up. As far as I am aware, the Oppo BDP-105EU is supposed to handle DFF files. Where might I be going wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make sure you have ticked the "Convert DST to DSD" option - which de-compresses packed DSD data - usually used on (almost all) SACDs with Surround content.


Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Synfreak said:

Make sure you have ticked the "Convert DST to DSD" option - which de-compresses packed DSD data - usually used on (almost all) SACDs with Surround content.

That fixed the problem. My regenerated DFF files now play on my Oppo. 

 

Thanks for your help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haggis999 said:

My regenerated DFF files now play on my Oppo. 

Curious why you chose to extract to DFF.  I find no upside to DFF; all DSD players accept DSF as well, and DSF can be tagged.  And since sacd_extract v38 the click issue is no longer type-related.  FYI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Curious why you chose to extract to DFF.  I find no upside to DFF; all DSD players accept DSF as well, and DSF can be tagged.  And since sacd_extract v38 the click issue is no longer type-related.  FYI.

I chose DFF simply because it was the default option in Sonore iso2dsd GUI. I am a total beginner at ripping SACDs (all my previous experience has been in ripping CDs to FLAC files) and thus know next to nothing about the different DSD file formats.

 

However, I do not appear to have had any issues in using JRiver Media Center to store tags in my new DFF files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JRiver will tag untaggable formats, but don't expect that metadata to travel well.  Meaning, that's just a JRIver feature; the tags are not embedded in the file.  MP3Tag and other DSD-capable players will not see those tags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ted_b said:

JRiver will tag untaggable formats, but don't expect that metadata to travel well.  Meaning, that's just a JRIver feature; the tags are not embedded in the file.  MP3Tag and other DSD-capable players will not see those tags.

You are quite correct. Even if you configure MP3Tag to look at DFF files, it fails to recognise the tags that JRiver claims to have stored in those files. I can only speculate that JRiver has found a non-standard way to store tags in DFF files, but this is of little use with other software that is unaware of this unconventional usage. Switching to the DSF format solves that problem.

 

Many thanks for bringing that point to my attention.

Edited by haggis999

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, haggis999 said:

You are quite correct. Even if you configure MP3Tag to look at DFF files, it fails to recognise the tags that JRiver claims to have stored in those files. I can only speculate that JRiver has found a non-standard way to store tags in DFF files, but this is of little use with other software that is unaware of this unconventional usage. Switching to the DSF format solves that problem.

 

Many thanks for bringing that point to my attention.

JRiver stores tags that can't be embedded in the media file in a "sidecar" file that has the same base name as the media file and a .xml extension.  It's a useful feature, but something that's important to understand if you also access your media files outside of JRiver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems that a few novices over at Steve Hoffman's forum are having problems http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/anyone-tried-this-sacd-ripping-service.494748/page-6#post-16456012 using this technique.

 

Since I ripped my SACDs using a PS3, I can't help them. If anyone feels like assisting, some of them will be grateful. I pointed them to this thread but it has grown so much as to be daunting to a novice.

 

It would be nice if a procedures sticky were added to this tread. :x

 

Thanks and please don't flame me >:(


Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE. ClearAudio Emotion TT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd suggest a new thread (maybe locked at some point) that contains no fluff or extraneous material.

 

Just a list of players that work, instructions for Mac and Windows.


"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...