IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

BRAVO Chichaz. 

Here is (are?) my 2cents (although may have been already posted):

- on my iMac:

-- I import .iso directly to JRiver. Works great-- it converts on the fly to tracks with tags (still calls them .iso). It also eliminates clicks (as opposed to .dsf). 

--- I convert to ALAC (bit for bit) then remove .iso from library (not files)(see advanced tools in JRiver)

Two options for playback:

1- iMac > toslink/fiber > main transport. Plays back in 96 (iMac limitation)

2- iMac > wifi > Apple TV > secondary/tertiary transport. 

I control completely from from my iPhone via Remote app (iTunes) or JRemote. 

Gentlemanly tip of the hat to all ESPECIALLY ted_b for the original revolution as now I have 96 all over the house. 

13 hours ago, Sound Man said:

See my first post above. ^_^ SUCCESSFUL RIPPING WITH AN OPPO BDP-105EU ON FIRMWARE 10XEU-83-1226

I doubt there will be any further releases of the software for the BDP-10x series so the 10XEU-83-1226 is a safe bet. 

Thanks Sound Man!

I promised to report my findings yesterday, but Amazon didn't deliver the BDP-80FD until today.  As so many others have found, SACD ripping with this new configuration is one of the easiest things I've ever done on a computer:

1.  Turn off Autoplay

2.  Connect to LAN (WPS not necessary)

3.  Copy Autoplay folder from BDP160 zip to root of USB stick and insert in front of 80FD (FAT32 not necessary, and you can leave other files on the USB)

4.  Insert SACD

5.  Get IP from File Explorer and run SACD_EXTRACT on PC (static IP not necessary)

I also didn't find any relationship between the target folder name and the ISO name.  I guess the poster has a very different system.

I ripped a 2.8GB ISO in about 30 minutes.  My network is based on a typical home WiFi router from the cable guy.

I've ripped several hundred hybrid SACDs with a Pioneer 170 (which is similar or even identical to the FD80). I only had to reload a couple of discs, since the Pioneer at first recognized them as CDs. But it always worked the second time. No problem ripping them, except for one scratched disc (which also failed on my Oppo 103).

Claude

Thanks for those bits of info on your experiences.  I was very ill last year and missed all the initial fun.  By now, unfortunately, the better built Oppos have inflated.  Must be fun for those owners experiencing the unheard-of phenomenon of financially appreciating home electronics!

7 hours ago, CatManDo said:

I've ripped several hundred hybrid SACDs with a Pioneer 170 (which is similar or even identical to the FD80). I only had to reload a couple of discs, since the Pioneer at first recognized them as CDs. But it always worked the second time. No problem ripping them, except for one scratched disc (which also failed on my Oppo 103).

+1 on this, I've done the same with a Pioneer BDP-80fd, only a handful of hybrid discs read the first time around as a CD.

Upon ejecting and reloading them, they were all read as SACDs the second time around and ripped just fine.

Keeping my fingers crossed that stays the case.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

My 80FD was $229 new from Amazon.  The Oppo 103s are now going for about $400+ used, and $1000+ new.

Some say SACD is dead.  I say it's very much alive in the classical catalog, particularly Japanese releases, which have been single layered for the last several years.  This is a subject for another thread, but one does have to balance the expenditure here with the life of the format.  I can live with some minor anomolies in reading hybrids (hybrid releases fewer and farther between for me as a classical collector) with the prospect of spending hundreds on a player I wouldn't otherwise want.

24 minutes ago, Darryl R said:

My 80FD was $229 new from Amazon.  The Oppo 103s are now going for about $400+ used, and $1000+ new.

Some say SACD is dead.  I say it's very much alive in the classical catalog, particularly Japanese releases, which have been single layered for the last several years.  This is a subject for another thread, but one does have to balance the expenditure here with the life of the format.  I can live with some minor anomolies in reading hybrids (hybrid releases fewer and farther between for me as a classical collector) with the prospect of spending hundreds on a player I wouldn't otherwise want.

I think I my buy one just to have around for the future.  At some point I will want to sell my Oppo 105 but not having a way to rip SACDs is a deal breaker...rather find a used 103D if possible but to expensive.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Just got my 80FD today, I think I'm really but need your help!!!

I downloaded all the files from the OP Dropbox, follow instructions, plug the thumb drive and the tray open. Put in an SACD, and ran the sacd.cmd, I'm getting a sacd_extract.exe has stopped working message. Any ideas?

My laptop and the 80FD are on my home wireless network, I was able to successfully ping the 80FD so I'm not sure what I'm missing. Any help greatly appreciated.

Scar972,

Sorry I wasn't available sooner, but we are likely in very different time zones.  Yes, use the AutoScript folder from the BDP160 zip, which you can get via a link from Ted's post on about page 3 of this thread.  There are other links to that code, maybe the original, but I wasn't sure who controls that target (someone in the Ukraine maybe, if you're comfortable with unkown "Russian" sources these days ;).  Your issue was documented in this thread, albeit too long for comfortable browsing now.  Also, sacd.cmd is optional, as you may run sacd_extract directly from the command prompt using the IP of the player plus port 2002 for the input argument:

sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.106:2002 -P -I

It's incredible the amount of support I get from this community! I got the 80FD to work after finding the correct AutoScript. I was able to rip James Taylor Hourglass and Pink Floyd DSOTM last night, haven't had a chance to listen yet, can't wait.

The rip is a SACD iso file and my Audirvana should be able to read this, but how can I convert the iso file to dsd so that I can edit the file's metadata?  

So just use SACD_EXTRACT again to extract DFF or DSF files for the tracks:

sacd_extract -s -c -P -i"isoname.iso"

sacd_extract -? (explains options)

Then I convert my DFFs to PCM with my favorite PCM tool.  I believe you'll want to use DSF.  We just got in the habit of using DFF when there was a DSF bug in the extract, now fixed.

On 7. 5. 2017 at 0:32 AM, chichaz said:

What players work to extract SACDs? These are the ONLY known and confirmed-working units: 

Pioneer BDP-160

Pioneer BDP-170

Pioneer BDP-80FD

Oppo 103, 103D

Oppo 105, 105D

Arcam UDP411

Arcam CDS 27

Cambridge Audio CXU

...so no fun with Pioneer BDP-180 ??  Is your list of supported units complete?

Biggest bummer with forums is the info is scattered. Is there a site with info organized on this topic? List of units that work, links to the files needed to make this work. Current step by step instructions. There are 82 pages here with some over a year old. Technology marches on and things have likely changed.

I'm very interested in getting my SACD collection onto my NAS and available to JRiver Media Center for listening without digging for a disc. At the moment considering purchasing a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD. My assumption is that each unit requires a unique setup. I found SACD-extract-BDP160.zip but assume it only works with a Pioneer BDP-160. Do I assume correctly?

No, the SACD-extract-BDP160.zip is what you would use for the Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD so go ahead and buy it. I ripped 20 sacd's last week and the process was incredibly easy. I have not had a single problem with this player reading any of my SACDs.

1 minute ago, Scar972 said:

No, the SACD-extract-BDP160.zip is what you would use for the Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD so go ahead and buy it. I ripped 20 sacd's last week and the process was incredibly easy. I have not had a single problem with this player reading any of my SACDs.

Does the zip file have instructions included?

Not sure, I used instructions from the first two pages of the thread, not telnet needed. This method I used. There are two folders to download, Autoscript goes on a thumb drive, sacd_extract goes on your PC. Make sure your player is on the home network, open player tray and drop in a sacd, plug in thumb drive, if the tray closes it's a good sign. Go to your PC and open up the sacd_extract folder and launch the file sacd. You should be in business.