IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

7 hours ago, bnbayer said:

Not too many years ago 24/44 was the best [PCM] you could do, and SACD was the only way to release it in better than CD sound.

SACD contains only D64 sample rate. It is most hard implementation of DSD. I'd call it as entry level in format by achieved value of noise floor.

For me, as developer, implementation of D64 vs. D128 comparable with implementation 44/16 and 24/96.

I.e. for better implementation of lower resolutions need more skills and efforts.

In 44/16 we balance between ringing and stop band suppression (aliases).

In D64 we balanced between unstability of modulator and lower noise floor in audible range.

For higher resolutions do it simpler.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Am about to attempt to rip my first SACD with a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD.  Assuming I successfully get a copy of the ISO onto my Windows 10 PC, am I better off using the sacd_extract program to convert the ISO to .dsf files or to use the iso2dsdgui.exe?  I know the instructions say to use the sacd_extract program in a batch file; but I have never done this before; and also haven't ever written my own batch file before.  

Thanks in advance for answering what may be a simple (and obvious) question?

8 minutes ago, frfrtx said:

Am about to attempt to rip my first SACD with a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD.  Assuming I successfully get a copy of the ISO onto my Windows 10 PC, am I better off using the sacd_extract program to convert the ISO to .dsf files or to use the iso2dsdgui.exe?  I know the instructions say to use the sacd_extract program in a batch file; but I have never done this before; and also haven't ever written my own batch file before.  

Thanks in advance for answering what may be a simple (and obvious) question?

I've used both.  I recommend iso2dsd_gui.exe for both:

- the extraction from my oppo 103 to my pc of the sacd iso, and

- converting the iso to dsf.

IOW, there is no reason that I'm aware of to use sacd_extract.exe.

frfrtx, the basis of any of these ISO2DSD programs is, in fact, sacd_extract.  There is no reason to use the command line interface when Sonore and Bogi have written either a GUI (ISO2DSD) or a workflow (ISO2DSF) that simplifies this. 

2 minutes ago, kokishin said:

I've used both.  I recommend iso2dsd_gui.exe for both:

- the extraction from my oppo 103 to my pc of the sacd iso, and

- converting the iso to dsf.

IOW, there is no reason that I'm aware of to use sacd_extract.exe.

Thanks for the reply and assistance.

1 minute ago, ted_b said:

frfrtx, the basis of any of these ISO2DSD programs is, in fact, sacd_extract.  There is no reason to use the command line interface when Sonore and Bogi have written either a GUI (ISO2DSD) or a workflow (ISO2DSF) that simplifies this. 

Thanks for the clarification that sacd_extract is in both ISO2DSD and ISO2DSF.

Just now, ted_b said:

One of the guis uses java. 

Both guis are an interface to sacd_extract.exe -- they system call to sacd_extarct.exe. Sacd_extract.exe will be on your system either way you do it. 

The instructions I provided are a collection of the information in this thread pertinent to the pioneer elite BDp-80d. Nothing more. 

I offered advice on processing many sacd isos at once using a batch script. Neither GUI can do that either. I did not offer my scripts bc it's more advanced than most users in this thread can handle. 

(Ps: is this why all the evasiveness regarding my perl mp3::tag question? )

36 minutes ago, HiRezGuy said:

I offered advice on processing many sacd isos at once using a batch script. Neither GUI can do that either. I did not offer my scripts bc it's more advanced than most users in this thread can handle. 

Actually, I have used multiple iterations of both GUIs in parallel but, of course, they then must share computer resources.  Using a batch files, they run serially.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Some ISOs have long track and/or performer and/or album names.

Also metadata may contains non-English symbols.

Some files contains non-English symbols in path.

These issues can cause stop work of sacd_extract.exe utility.

For avoiding it need especial processing.

Sometimes stop processing (hanging sacd_extract) occur due, as I suppose, damaging ISO image or some ISO ripping issues.

For that case, if you extracted multichannel tracks, need try extract stereo tracks, or contrary.

Also other extracting issues described here http://samplerateconverter.com/content/how-convert-iso-dsf-wav-flac-aiff-without-clicks-user-manual#input-files-is-compressed

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

On 4/5/2017 at 3:25 AM, HiRezGuy said:

Nice.

Sorry for the sloppiness. I meant perl mp3::tag, which is what your code looked like. (I did a project about 10 years ago with mp3::tag. Seeing your code snippet got me thinking about recycling some old code to tag wavs on the fly within this whole sacd-iso-dsf-others process.)

Understood. I didn't expect someone will be familiar with mp3::tag here. :)

The only my experience with mp3::tag is for DSF. I didn't try it with WAV files.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
On 4/6/2017 at 2:25 PM, bogi said:

Understood. I didn't expect someone will be familiar with mp3::tag here. :)

The only my experience with mp3::tag is for DSF. I didn't try it with WAV files.

Mp3tag won't work with wav files, you can't metadata to them. It works with DSF, AAC, AIFF, FLAC, APE, MP3, MPEG-4, MPC, OGG, OptimFROG OFR, OFS, SPX, TAK, TTA, WMA, WAV, WV. It's a wonderful tagging tool, I used it almost daily.

MP3::Tag is Perl module, it is something quite different than Mp3tag GUI tool. Please do not mix that ...

1 hour ago, bobverens said:

Mp3tag won't work with wav files, you can't metadata to them. It works with DSF, AAC, AIFF, FLAC, APE, MP3, MPEG-4, MPC, OGG, OptimFROG OFR, OFS, SPX, TAK, TTA, WMA, WAV, WV. It's a wonderful tagging tool, I used it almost daily.

Mp3tag works with WAV files ...

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
12 minutes ago, bogi said:

MP3::Tag is Perl module, it is something quite different than Mp3tag GUI tool. Please do not mix that ...

Mp3tag works with WAV files ...

As I remenber, iTunes can't read it, but AIFF's id3 can.

WAV is very flexible format.

I'm not using Apple iProducts ... expect of my 10 years old iPod where I installed free Rockbox firmware so it behaves like ordinary portable player.

foobar2000, JRiver, HQPlayer, etc. work fine with tagged WAV files.

2 minutes ago, bogi said:

I'm not using Apple iProducts ... expect of my 10 years old iPod where I installed free Rockbox firmware so it behaves like ordinary portable player.

foobar2000, JRiver, HQPlayer, etc. work fine with tagged WAV files.

However, as far as I know, people uses standard Windows players too.

Hi, thanks, this discovery really made my day as an owner of Oppo BDP-105EU! :-)

Everything works for me, but I would like to know if there is more known about the player's system. Unfortunately, running /usr/sbin/telnetd does not work for me (yes, I tried the appropriate script). Does anyone know how to start the telnetd on Oppo? Is there any documentation (maybe just reverse-engineered?) concerning settings such as these:

CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000

CLI_app.vfdmg.b clear_msg

CLI_app.vfdmg.b scroll_msg start

aso.?

Any idea, what environment the player has (so that one could compile own binaries, maybe?).

... oops... wrong thread :$

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi, Just backed up 100+ SACD's to my server with this process and a OPPO 103D. Just selling the 103D on Ebay Uk as will be getting the new Oppo 205 soon.

I have the auto script files on USB from Ted's dropbox and wonder if these are same required for the Pioneer BDP-160 which I may be able to purchase at a very reasonable price, if not can someone point me at the right place to get the correct auto script file..Cheers guys.

7 minutes ago, Robert van Diggele said:

Why? Is the ripped iso different when made with an Oppo or Pioneer?

Nope.  Oppo might last longer, be a nicer-feeling product to use in the mean time - or it might not, up to you and your preference.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Hallo

I am new to this forum.

Thanks to this forum (!) I bought many moon's ago a Pioneer BDP160 to rip SACD.

Today I got my first Blu-ray Audio Disc full of 24 bit / 96 kHz audio files. These I would like to have on my Audio Server.... Is this possible? if yes how?

The Pioneer is located within my Network. Ping works.Telnet does'nt ;-(

I just pluged the SACD rip USB-stick at the Pioneer. But that does'nt help...

Greetings

F.S.