IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

51 minutes ago, One and a half said:

Cable opinions are better served in other threads. Ripping SACDs is the topic, how to listen to the result is also another thread. By all means create another thread on these topics. 

I'm not a moderator here, but historically valuable threads like this one, get sidetracked, and it's on for young and old, although innocently started.

Makes sense to me and thanks for pointing that out but attempting to control speech, however subtle the attempt, is sort of like herding cats or keeping children coloring inside the lines and is almost impossible to accomplish.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

24 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

Makes sense to me and thanks for pointing that out but attempting to control speech, however subtle the attempt, is sort of like herding cats or keeping children coloring inside the lines and is almost impossible to accomplish.

Keeping on topic is an attempt to control speech? Let's talk of the weather then.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Fine.  The weather here on the East coast of the US is cloudy with a chance of meatballs. Are you sure you're not a moderator?   But seriously, my initial comment regarding cables and methods of listening to extracted files was an honest attempt to respond to a question posed by a member of the forum.  I erred when I responded.  Mea culpa.  This is the last I'll have to say on the topic.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Hello,

I purchased a Pioneer Elite BDP-80FD. I use Windows. Which page of this thread has the most up to date set of instructions for ripping SACD with this blu-ray player and Windows? @ted_b 's SACD ripping guide in the first post still discusses PS3.

Thanks in advance for your help.

21 hours ago, riskylogic said:

I have just about my entire collection ripped to my network hard drive, which I can direct play from using my ipad.  So, when deciding to play, what is not ripped is largely forgotten.  Now that I can rip SACDs, a) they are back in my collection, and b) I'm buying more of them.

Precisely! What HE said! 

I thought I had purchased my last SACD a few years ago but I'm starting to buy again now that they've magically become as convenient as my hi-res digital downloads (and often less money to boot! ?)

Not sure if this is best place to voice this request but here it goes.

I have ripped and extracted about 500 SACD's from my library.  The process is smooth and generally pain free except when the SACD authoring is missing or incomplete. Which is the publisher's faullt.  When this happens  I need to rebuild the metadata with Mp3Tag.  In my collection I have many versions/releases of the same title.   The iso2dsf tool is great but it would be even greater if it wrote the Catalog ID to the Comment field of the metadata tag. That way I could move individual songs around and know exactly what version/release I'm playing.  I know the that Catalog is being captured because it is written into the header of CUE file.

8 minutes ago, tlp said:

The iso2dsf tool is great but it would be even greater if it wrote the Catalog ID to the Comment field of the metadata tag. That way I could move individual songs around and know exactly what version/release I'm playing.  I know the that Catalog is being captured because it is written into the header of CUE file.

ISO2DSF is storing Catalog Number as well as ISRC. You can see it for example in foobar2000.

2017-03-28 22_52_08-Properties - _HOTEL CALIFORNIA_.png

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
8 minutes ago, bogi said:

ISO2DSF is storing Catalog Number as well as ISRC. You can see it for example in foobar2000.

2017-03-28 22_52_08-Properties - _HOTEL CALIFORNIA_.png

Hi Bogi,

Thanks for the reply.  I don't user foobar2000 but I'm assuming that the data is coming from the *.cue file that gets created during the extraction.   I would just like to see the Comment field utilized during the metadata extraction process with the catalog number.

ISO to DSF Example.JPG

Yes, the metadata comes from CUE sheet, which is extracted from ISO by sacd_extract.

I see Catalog Number is not shown in MP3TAG. I don't know why.

My implementation of the relevant part is (in Perl):

# add frames
    $id3v2->add_frame("TALB", $TITLE);
    $id3v2->add_frame("TPE2", $PERFORMER);
    $id3v2->add_frame("TYER", $DATE);
    $id3v2->add_frame("TCON", $GENRE);
    $id3v2->add_frame("COMM", "ENG", "Catalog Number", $CATALOG);
    $id3v2->add_frame("TPE1", $performer);
    $id3v2->add_frame("TRCK", $trackno);
    $id3v2->add_frame("TIT2", $title);
    $id3v2->add_frame("TSRC", $ISRC);
    $id3v2->write_tag();

I did it according to ID3v2 specs. If anyone has an idea, let me know.

But ... any change in ISO2DSF code will not change tags in your 500 SACDs you already extracted.

i7 11850H + RTX A2000 Win11 HQPlayer ► Topping HS02 ► 2x iFi iSilencer ► SMSL D300 ► DIY headamp DHA1 ► HiFiMan HE-500
1 hour ago, tlp said:

Not sure if this is best place to voice this request but here it goes.

I have ripped and extracted about 500 SACD's from my library.  The process is smooth and generally pain free except when the SACD authoring is missing or incomplete. Which is the publisher's faullt.  When this happens  I need to rebuild the metadata with Mp3Tag.  In my collection I have many versions/releases of the same title.   The iso2dsf tool is great but it would be even greater if it wrote the Catalog ID to the Comment field of the metadata tag. That way I could move individual songs around and know exactly what version/release I'm playing.  I know the that Catalog is being captured because it is written into the header of CUE file.

May be it is national (non-English) encoding issue under Windows? If it so, there need additional processing (during ISO extraction) for fixing this issue.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

It seems MP3tag doesn't contain implementation of ID3v2 structured Comment.

In foobar2000 you can easily search for Catalog Number through the whole music library:

2017-03-29 00_22_23-SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer_ Yes, it's true! - Page 76 - Software - Co.png

1 hour ago, bogi said:

It seems MP3tag doesn't contain implementation of ID3v2 structured Comment.

In foobar2000 you can easily search for Catalog Number through the whole music library:

2017-03-29 00_22_23-SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer_ Yes, it's true! - Page 76 - Software - Co.png

Right.  Foobar is reading the *.cue file in each folder and is not scraping each *.dsf for metadata.  These are default columns that I have displayed in Mp3Tag.   The Comment is not currently leveraged during the metadata extraction when converting from ISO to DFF to DSF.   I understand that it does nothing for the 500 that I have already rendered but would be nice if we could map to it in the future.    

comments.JPG

4 hours ago, tlp said:

Right.  Foobar is reading the *.cue file in each folder and is not scraping each *.dsf for metadata.  These are default columns that I have displayed in Mp3Tag.   The Comment is not currently leveraged during the metadata extraction when converting from ISO to DFF to DSF.

ISO2DSF processing writes Catalog Number into ID3v2 tag but not all tools contain implementation which is able to retrieve ID3v2 comment fields. You can disable CUE processing in foobar2000 or you can rename a CUE sheet and you will still see the Catalog Number field in foobar2000. I implemented the Catalog Number comment field according to ID3v2 specs, look at chapter 4.10 here: http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames Here you can see that ID3v2 Comment fields are not single items like performer or title. They are pairs of (Short content description, The actual text).

<Header for 'Comment', ID: "COMM">
     Text encoding          $xx
     Language               $xx xx xx
     Short content descrip. <text string according to encoding> $00 (00)
     The actual text        <full text string according to encoding>

That's what I have available to write Catalog Number into ID3v2 tag. I used 'Catalog Number' as 'Short content description' and the catalog number string from ISO CUE sheet as 'The actual text'.

$id3v2->add_frame("COMM", "ENG", "Catalog Number", $CATALOG);

The single 'Comment' field you see in Mp3tag as column doesn't seem to be relevant for ID3v2 tags. Audio content processing tools don't support only ID3v2 tags, but variety of tagging options for different audio file formats. For example for FLAC ID3v2 isn't available, but Vorbis comments are used. They use different names of fields and that's not the only difference, it's simply different standard. No standard exists how to present metadata coming from different tagging options to end user. Therefore different tools vary in implementation. When writing ID3v2 tag I can use only options which are available for ID3v2. So I don't see how I could write Catalog Number to the field named 'Comment' as you showed in your picture. I have no such possibility when creating ID3v2 tag.

You can use foobar2000 or maybe some other tool which recognizes ID3v2 comments to find tracks for a given catalog number and to make corrections in your library.

5 hours ago, tlp said:

Foobar is reading the *.cue file in each folder and is not scraping each *.dsf for metadata.

That is incorrect statement. You don't need CUE sheet to display DSF metadata in foobar2000 or other tools which support DSF tagging. Each single DSF file is tagged with ID3v2 tag by ISO2DSF. The CUE sheet generation in ISO2DSF is optional. You can disable it via ISO2DSF cfg file and metadata will still show in Mp3tag, foobar2000 and other programs.

9 hours ago, bogi said:

You can use foobar2000 or maybe some other tool which recognizes ID3v2 comments to find tracks for a given catalog number and to make corrections in your library.

Thanks Bogi!!  

I will experiment with some other tools to see if I can expose the Catalog Number that should be embedded with the metadata in the dsf's.  The end game for me is to create a database of all of the titles in my collection.  The catalog number is key to this process. 

I just tried another Tag Editing tool called "Tag & Rename".   The Catalog # is in fact embedded with the metadata :).   I will send an email to the developer of MP3Tag to see if they can expose it.  Thanks again Bogi!!

Catalog.JPG

Not completely off topic, but do folks see different file sizes using different tools to rip an SACD?  The ISOs from my old PS3 don't match the same file size as from my Oppo...I thought they should be identical.  The ISOs and the DSF files are not exactly the same size when ripped form different players.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

3 minutes ago, Hikmer said:

Not completely off topic, but do folks see different file sizes using different tools to rip an SACD?  The ISOs from my old PS3 don't match the same file size as from my Oppo...I thought they should be identical.  The ISOs and the DSF files are not exactly the same size when ripped form different players.

There are may be different metadata.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

If that is the case, then what is the best way to verify that a ISO or DSF file is the same mastering as another?  For instance I have two ISOs of the same album but want to verify if they are different masters.

Digital: Synology NAS DS716+II > Netgear Nighthawk AC Wireless > Oppo Sonica DAC & 105

Analogue: Sota Sapphire, Well Tempered Classic Arm (LA Labs mod), Charisma Reference One MC, AcousTech PH-1 Premium Phono

The Rest: Conrad Johnson LS-17 Preamp, Conrad Johnson 2300A, Vandersteen 3A Sigs with 2Wq sub

Only via extracting to DSF/DFF and binary comparing of audio content of the DSF/DFF.

I suppose my fallback hack is to rip to FLAC then compare DR in foobar2000 as well?

ISO to FLAC conversion is lossy.

Need compare DSFs (audio data block only) ripped from compared ISOs.