IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Or better yet, do a binary comparison of the ISO files...

There need do binary comparison ISO audio content only. Because ISO's metadata, other optical image data, etc. may be different.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

Thanks for your input, I think your first forum post and your english are perfectly fine :)

But I have some doubts about the results of your listening test. It would mean the data have been degraded while being transported over the network vs the direct connection, as the other factors are the same (same extraction software, same SACD drive). I find that very unlikely. Can you do a blind test to be sure?

Thanks. Keep in mind that we're talking about differences noticeable in our " audiophile World " but Yes I have done I blind test before reporting, I've been helped by the sensible ears of my thirteen years old son who plays drums that help me to notice the dynamics softness of the drums , and about the slightly out of focus sound it reminds me when you connect a very cheap CD player to the bryston bda 3 instead of a reference cd trasport..

Thanks. Keep in mind that we're talking about differences noticeable in our " audiophile World " but Yes I have done I blind test before reporting, I've been helped by the sensible ears of my thirteen years old son who plays drums that help me to notice the dynamics softness of the drums , and about the slightly out of focus sound it reminds me when you connect a very cheap CD player to the bryston bda 3 instead of a reference cd trasport..

New " experiment ":

1. Rip a sacd with the oppo connected to my network.

2. Rip ,same sacd ,with the oppo directly connected to my windows 10 laptop via 1 meter cat 6 UTP crossover cable.

3. Rip ,same sacd, with the oppo directly connected to my windows 10 laptop via 0,25 meter cat 6 S-FTP crossover cable.

Listening results:

1 and 2 : almost indistinguishable

3 : tighter and more dynamic bass more focused and stable images ,sound almost indistinguishable from the original sacd played by the oppo connected via monster 1000 HDMI cable to the bryston bda 3.

I have done at the end also a blind test with the help of my son switching the files from the bryston bdp 2 player and I was able to get every time 1 and 2 from 3 !

The short length of the connection cable(25 cm,less than a foot) seem to by the key of preserving the same sound of the original sacd.

If anyone will try this experiment and see if he will end up with the same result ..

I probably know that someone will find this a little bit crazy but we are audiophiles and best sound does it matter , right?

New " experiment ":

1. Rip a sacd with the oppo connected to my network.

2. Rip ,same sacd ,with the oppo directly connected to my windows 10 laptop via 1 meter cat 6 UTP crossover cable.

3. Rip ,same sacd, with the oppo directly connected to my windows 10 laptop via 0,25 meter cat 6 S-FTP crossover cable.

Listening results:

1 and 2 : almost indistinguishable

3 : tighter and more dynamic bass more focused and stable images ,sound almost indistinguishable from the original sacd played by the oppo connected via monster 1000 HDMI cable to the bryston bda 3.

I have done at the end also a blind test with the help of my son switching the files from the bryston bdp 2 player and I was able to get every time 1 and 2 from 3 !

The short length of the connection cable(25 cm,less than a foot) seem to by the key of preserving the same sound of the original sacd.

If anyone will try this experiment and see if he will end up with the same result ..

I probably know that someone will find this a little bit crazy but we are audiophiles and best sound does it matter , right?

Can you forward the checksums for the same files for methods 1,2 & 3 thanks. There's free software that can provide, a google search will find, they are usually standalone installs.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

My son just graduated from 4 years at a top School for Sound engineer, from Conservatoire de Paris.

He told me one day a professor changed a parameter in a sound production, and said how much the sound was changed. And all students agreed the sound was totally different.

Until a student realized that the parameter change had absolutely no effect on the output; the signal was exacttly the same...

So I believe more in md5 checksum than what your ear tell you.

Can you forward the checksums for the same files for methods 1,2 & 3 thanks. There's free software that can provide, a google search will find, they are usually standalone installs.

Hope this will not be over my computer skills..but I'll try.

Would you please tell me the name of the right software to use?

Thank you.

This ripping process is essentially a file copy procedure; something networks are REALLY good at handling. If you aren't getting identical files all 3 ways, I'd suggest your network has some fundamental problems and you should be concerned about using it for anything. The sort of differences you're suggesting are obtained by using the different ways of connecting your Oppo to your PC would have to be equivalent to downloading this post and getting "this is the correct text" one time and "thi5 i5 th3 c0rr3ct t3xt" other times. Unless something goes VERY wrong with the Ethernet error correction, that just isn't going to happen. If the files actually are identical, then there's no way they can sound different when played through the same playback chain.

I certainly agree that the equipment used in the playback chain (DAC, USB cable (if using a USB DAC), pre-amp stage, amplifier, even speaker cables) makes a difference. I was very skeptical about USB cables making a difference until a friend and I ran some experiments a while back and found that there were differences; though not enough to matter unless the rest of the system is top notch (this was with a HTPC running JRiver connected to an Oppo HA-1, ATI Signature 6000 amplification, and Revel Salon 2 speakers).

But the assertion that ripping SACD's with these different methods makes a difference would mean that every network in the world must be mangling data unless you have something seriously wrong only with yours. I know I've copied files between PC's over my network a number of times and used a compare tool (such as Beyond Compare) to verify the copies are the same and never had any problems.

The sort of differences you're suggesting are obtained by using the different ways of connecting your Oppo to your PC would have to be equivalent to downloading this post and getting "this is the correct text" one time and "thi5 i5 th3 c0rr3ct t3xt" other times. Unless something goes VERY wrong with the Ethernet error correction, that just isn't going to happen. If the files actually are identical, then there's no way they can sound different when played through the same playback chain.

I certainly agree that the equipment used in the playback chain (DAC, USB cable (if using a USB DAC), pre-amp stage, amplifier, even speaker cables) makes a difference. I was very skeptical about USB cables making a difference until a friend and I ran some experiments a while back and found that there were differences; though not enough to matter unless the rest of the system is top notch (this was with a HTPC running JRiver connected to an Oppo HA-1, ATI Signature 6000 amplification, and Revel Salon 2 speakers).

As I said on a precedent post the differences I'm trying to report here are amplified by an "audiophile vision of the world " and , as you said for USB cable,not enough to matter for most of the people out there , but unfortunately , I do prefer my Oyade USB cable rather than a commercial one, and I do prefer file 3 vs file 1 and file 2.

P.S.The fact that File 1 and 2 are indistinguishable is probably the prove that my network is working fine

I do prefer file 3 vs file 1 and file 2.

P.S.The fact that File 1 and 2 are indistinguishable is probably the prove that my network is working fine

Your assertion that file 3 sounds different than file 1 and file 2 suggests otherwise if we're to believe that it really does sound different. Until you can demonstrate that the file content isn't the same, I'm going to remain extremely skeptical (to say the least). If the file content IS the same, the only way they can sound different is if the playback chain isn't the same when listening to each.

As I said on a precedent post the differences I'm trying to report here are amplified by an "audiophile vision of the world " and , as you said for USB cable,not enough to matter for most of the people out there , but unfortunately , I do prefer my Oyade USB cable rather than a commercial one, and I do prefer file 3 vs file 1 and file 2.

Your assertion that file 3 sounds different than file 1 and file 2 suggests otherwise if we're to believe that it really does sound different. Until you can demonstrate that the file content isn't the same, I'm going to remain extremely skeptical (to say the least). If the file content IS the same, the only way they can sound different is if the playback chain isn't the same when listening to each.

May we take this extremely old argument to an extremely new (and more appropriate) thread, please?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

May we take this extremely old argument to an extremely new (and more appropriate) thread, please?

Certainly agreed. The only relevant part of that discussion here is if using different network connections result in different content in the ripped files as that would theoretically alter the suggested ripping procedure. I would hope that the answer is that the file contents are the same... Anything else would be insane. :)

I apologise if I made some kind of thread mistake , please understand that I am totally "new" on forum behaviour

Not a problem at all. The thread is already quite long, and if it went off topic it would suffer as a resource for people looking for instructions on how to rip, and which players to use.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Ted, thanks for starting and administrating this thread. Yes, thanks to the talented developers this method works and is very simple. You can do rips with your Oppo 10X or with other compatible players as simply as follows:

1) Connect your player to your LAN according to the player's manual. Write down the IP address of your player. Check if you see your player in Windows/Network/Media Devices of your PC connected to the same LAN.

2) Copy the AutoScipt folder to the root of a USB stick. You can leave your other files on your stick.

For a checking purpose, here are the MD5 hashes of the AutoScipt files for players with MT8580 chipset (eg. Oppo 10X):

85fcb3f87931eac271aefcfa58ab5c7d *AutoScript

14b531b622c92dfe159cf36cff954e5a *sacd_extract

85fcb3f87931eac271aefcfa58ab5c7d *AutoScript.TSS

3) Copy the sacd_extract folder to a drive of your PC connected to your LAN. Make sure your drive has enough free space for the SACD iso(s) to be ripped. With a text editor write the IP address of your player in the sacd.cmd file.

For a checking purpose, here are the MD5 hashes of the sacd_extract files:

2e0182f11817edd16c4a74ad61d2afea *sacd.cmd

db075a77f1b714ddc6c0b3cdb7bc0aee *sacd_extract.exe

(Please note that sacd.cmd is only a text file of the following command line: sacd_extract -i 192.168.1.106:2002 -P -I

Since the IP address may vary so does the MD5 hash of sacd.cmd.)

4) Turn on your player and turn off the Auto Play Mode and Auto Resume (or similar) in the Playback Setup. Connect your prepared USB stick to your player. The tray should eject. You can leave your USB stick in your player (it doesn't matter).

5) Close the tray with an SACD. Wait until the player recognizes the disc. Run sacd.cmd on your PC. The ripping process should start within few seconds.

I followed this process successfully for many SACD rips. But now I've moved to a new PC, followed the same process and have had no luck. Program fails to run. Checked network, seems ok, Oppo device is waiting for its command.

Anyone know if the process has been interrupted by the Win10 Anniversary updates? That messed up my drivers for USB devices...

Hi Folks. I am getting ready to take the plunge are replace my Oppo 93 with a unit that will support SACD archiving to a network drive. I'll probably stay with Oppo and do it as inexpensively as possible so I guess it's the 103. Are there any rev levels to stay away from or will the newest units work? Also, if there are other recommendations from other manufacturers that are as good as the 103, I would like to hear from you as well. I'd appreciate it!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Hi Folks. I am getting ready to take the plunge are replace my Oppo 93 with a unit that will support SACD archiving to a network drive. I'll probably stay with Oppo and do it as inexpensively as possible so I guess it's the 103. Are there any rev levels to stay away from or will the newest units work? Also, if there are other recommendations from other manufacturers that are as good as the 103, I would like to hear from you as well. I'd appreciate it!

All Oppo BDP-10x family players will work and the process still works with the latest firmware, so you don't need to avoid anything like recent firmware versions.

works fine with windows 10 anniversary update

make sure the firewall is not blocking the port

I think you are right - noob question, but any recommendations on how to check and correct this?

I turned off the firewall temporarily. I can ping the Oppo successfully in cmd.

All Oppo BDP-10x family players will work and the process still works with the latest firmware, so you don't need to avoid anything like recent firmware versions.

Roger that and thanks for confirming!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

it's a blind shot, I know, but... any likelihood it will also work with the upcoming Oppos 203-205s?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Hi Folks. I got my BDP-103 in and installed. I am having problems with Sonore's ISO2DVD program reading from the BDP-103. I manually set the BDP to XXX.XXX.X.103 to make it easy to remember and can see it from my router. Also, the BDP wants to update the firmware which I currently have dismissed. I powered the unit on and plugged in the USB with files in the root directory of the USB. The disk drawer opened and I inserted an SACD which the player read. I launched ISO2DVD, made sure that the IP address was good and the port was set to 2002. I set the output mode to RawISO and hit execute. I got:

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.03.103:2002 for reading

Do I have to figure out how to open that port and, if so, do I do it in the router or exactly where? If not a port issue, any other ideas?

Thanks folks!